Time for Food?

Options
When is the worst/best time to eat in the day/at night? Is there a certain time I should avoid a meal or snacking for the sake of health or bedtime?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Best: when hungry
    Worst: when not hungry.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Yep, that about sums it up.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It does not matter what time of day you eat. It also does not matter how often you eat. What matters is the number of calories you consume at the end of the day. :)
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    It does not matter what time of day you eat. It also does not matter how often you eat. What matters is the number of calories you consume at the end of the day. :)

Best post I've read all day :)

• thegaragegirl01
    thegaragegirl01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, though, it is also worth noting that certain types of food are better consumed at certain parts of the day. For example, things high in carbs, fats and sugars usually need to be consumed earlief in the day so that you have the necessary time available to work it off. That includes fruits and pasta, etc.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, though, it is also worth noting that certain types of food are better consumed at certain parts of the day. For example, things high in carbs, fats and sugars usually need to be consumed earlief in the day so that you have the necessary time available to work it off. That includes fruits and pasta, etc.

unnecessary and an oversimplification/generalization. If I eat high carb in the morning I am STARVING all day. I only eat higher carb before workouts and in the evening. You do not "work off" carbs. You lose wieght by eating at a calorie deficit, and when you eat certain macros makes no difference for your calorie deficit.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Our bodies are working for us 24 hours a day -- including when we are sleeping.
    Eat your food at whatever times of the day feel best for you. :)

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

unnecessary and an oversimplification/generalization. If I eat high carb in the morning I am STARVING all day. I only eat higher carb before workouts and in the evening. You do not "work off" carbs. You lose wieght by eating at a calorie deficit, and when you eat certain macros makes no difference for your calorie deficit.

Yep. That's how I feel if I eat a predominantly carb meal any time of the day.

OP: figure out what works for you.
  • peaceloveabby01
    peaceloveabby01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

This
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Also when asleep as you'll choke
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Never feed a Gremlin after midnight. Humans can eat when they want. ;)
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You should try and tune in to your own natural hunger cues. If you are someone who tends to be hungrier earlier in the day, eat more of your calories then. If you get hungrier later in the day, eat lighter throughout the morning, and save some calories for the end of the day. It's really all about when you are truly hungry. As long as you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight no matter what time of day you eat :)
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This is pretty unconventional, but I like to have a meal in the morning before I go to work, another meal around noon, and a third meal after work around 6 PM. I call these times breakfast time, lunch time, and dinner time.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    This is pretty unconventional, but I like to have a meal in the morning before I go to work, another meal around noon, and a third meal after work around 6 PM. I call these times breakfast time, lunch time, and dinner time.

Such a rebel! ;)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is a 100% personal thing. Base it off how you feel as you're eating throughout the day and what you ate.

If I have a high carb breakfast, I'll be hungry sooner rather than later. Pair the carbs with protein - or do more protein and hardly any carbs, and I'll stay full for several hours.

I do breakfast, fruit as a snack, sandwich for lunch, and veggies and a greek yogurt for an afternoon snack. I'll do dinner (and dessert, too, if I have the calories) and then no food or drink after 8pm, simply because some foods will keep me up at night while my body is trying to digest them as I sleep. Rather than experiment and figure out which foods are so "bad," I just make sure I quit eating earlier. I'm not hungry when I sleep so it all works out :)

Hope that helps.

~Lyssa