Resisting Temptation

Options
Right I just cant do it.
well i mean sometimes i can when i am really strong but when there are donuts and crisps and cakes in the staffroom, walking past them once or twice is fine, but when i see other people eating them and then i just want to have some too.
another thing i just cannot resist is fried food and take aways - pizza, chips, fried chicken.
pizza is my main culprit

any help or ideas to resist it?

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Move more to compensate for the increase in your caloric intake. CICO. Want more calories in? Put more calories out.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Its natural and being over restrictive normally leads to binging. Most people moderate so they eat as much as thier body needs. That means they na eat pizza, chcolate, chips if they wnat but they make sure it fits their allowance and do so by having a smaller portion. That means a slice instead of a whole pizza. The alternative is to find less calorie dense versions of pizza which give you most of the hit.

You should also look at your diet and eat foods that will mean you are fuller for longer. If you arent hungry then other food becomes less of a temptation.

At some stage you will have to have some mental discipline and make a choice whether you want that extra bit of food now or to lose weight? The choice is yours.

Oh and if you exercise then you cna eat a bit more food, but youll need to do a lot.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Can you take some lower calorie tasty snacks to work to eat instead? Fiber One makes some awesome 90 calorie brownies that might satisfy your craving for the donuts for a lot less calories. As far as the pizza, have a slice, and as the previous poster said, move more.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    @ArkMom35 Thank you.

And if your profile pic is still accurate, congrats on ONEderland! :smiley:
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You need to change your mind, specifically the story you tell yourself about who you are. In your post you defined yourself as powerless to resist donuts and other sweets. That used to be me to. Redefine yourself. Now I run. I eat when it fits with my runs and I eat to fuel my runs. It does not have to be running. Change your mind, your internal chatter -- that is the real meaning of repentance.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    @ArkMom35 Thank you.

And if your profile pic is still accurate, congrats on ONEderland! :smiley:

Thank you! I'm quite proud of myself! :)

• Magemisty
    Magemisty Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    yea but if i have one then i just want more uurggh i have though of an idea, if i am in a room with pizza or junk food i will get out until it is all gone, i will see how it works.
  • JohnRybock
    JohnRybock Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling - I'm a chef, and there are bowls of extra fries and potato chips, cheese, sausage, soda... all just lying around. And I can resist as long as I am actively thinking of resisting; once I get distracted, I find I'm mindlessly snacking.
    One thing that's really helped is to make myself a rule to write down what I eat before I do so. It takes time to make it a habit, but grab a donut, no problem, but before you eat it, pull out the little notepad and write it down, so you can record it later. The point isn't the later recording of it on a site like this so you can get a calorie count, but it interrupts and makes you think about it before you actually eat it. Takes the "less" out of mindless eating.
  • kristen_bures
    kristen_bures Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    To help with the pizza thing (because I love it too) I find recipes on Pinterest. One I found is one slice of bread layer with tomatoes and mozzarella then baked until melted. My husband like meat so I usually add a couple slices of deli meat. They taste awesome and not much work at all.
  • Magemisty
    Options
    To help with the pizza thing (because I love it too) I find recipes on Pinterest. One I found is one slice of bread layer with tomatoes and mozzarella then baked until melted. My husband like meat so I usually add a couple slices of deli meat. They taste awesome and not much work at all.

its not really that i crave for or want pizza it more just that when friend and family order it while i am there, i see it and then i waant it. i would not go out of my way for it and order or make it myself, its only when it is there and available

• Magemisty
    Options
    JohnRybock wrote: »
    I know the feeling - I'm a chef, and there are bowls of extra fries and potato chips, cheese, sausage, soda... all just lying around. And I can resist as long as I am actively thinking of resisting; once I get distracted, I find I'm mindlessly snacking.
    One thing that's really helped is to make myself a rule to write down what I eat before I do so. It takes time to make it a habit, but grab a donut, no problem, but before you eat it, pull out the little notepad and write it down, so you can record it later. The point isn't the later recording of it on a site like this so you can get a calorie count, but it interrupts and makes you think about it before you actually eat it. Takes the "less" out of mindless eating.

good idea, i will just need to get into the habit of writing it down,
    the only trouble is when you are mindlessly snacking and eating its more of a grab and stuff you dont always get time to write it down
  • sup3rb3ast
    sup3rb3ast Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I repeat my long term goals in my head whenever I am tempted. When I first began losing weight it was difficult, but now after many times of resisting, it is easier.

The sight of high calorie food you know you can't fit into your goals for the day is powerful because it provides instant reinforcement. We are conditioned our whole lives to choose the quickest and easiest reinforcement available even if it is small and temporary. Once you start behaving out of motivation for future goals and a larger future reinforcement (weight loss, etc), it will become easier each time you do it because you are conditioning yourself to work towards larger reinforcement over small, instant reinforcement.

Distract yourself, eat a healthier alternative, or have a small portion of the tempting food, log it, and work the rest of your day around those calories. The more of these choices you make, the easier it will start to be!
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    For me, the key is to always eat healthy things first. I eat unhealthy things every once in a while, but if I plan my meals and make them healthy choices that are filling and fit within my calorie guidelines, then it is way easier to walk by the other stuff. It's easier to not have the fries when I just had a filling, healthy meal.
  • Magemisty
    Options
    For me, the key is to always eat healthy things first. I eat unhealthy things every once in a while, but if I plan my meals and make them healthy choices that are filling and fit within my calorie guidelines, then it is way easier to walk by the other stuff. It's easier to not have the fries when I just had a filling, healthy meal.

good idea, i know what you mean but i think its just those situations where its 20 mins till lunch and then you see the tempation/tempting food - when yourhungry.

although i think i am slacking in planning preping my meals, i think i need to do this more often, although doing it all the time can be quite mentally tiring as i ususally think up and try to make my own recipes out the ingredients i already have at home.

• Magemisty
    Options
    i supposed you have to see what works and what doesnot work or you should mix together different ideas and methods to try and meet your goal :)