POLL QUESTION:

Options
For those of you who work regular hours (e.g. 8am-5pm):

Do you work out in the morning before work? Or in the evening after work? Which do you think/feel is easier in terms of motivation/in terms of health?

(This my first job with regular hours and I'm having a hard time figuring out when to work out. I would love your feedback!)

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's completely a personal thing in terms of motivation. I personally can NOT work out in the morning and enjoy my lunchtime and evening workouts. Others love to work out in the morning. The secret to long term success is doing what you will stick with.

As for the health thing, if there are any difference in health benefits between morning and after work, I'd say they are so minor that again, it comes down to what you will stick with. A small benefit from working out early, for instance, could be lost if you hated working out in the mornings and either skipped it or didn't give it 100%.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I usually workout in the morning because evenings are for family time, housework, etc. But I often end up doing one evening workout a week.
  • windime
    windime Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I work 8 to 5 and I go to the gym straight from work. I absolutely hate getting out of the bed in the morning, so this is what works for me. If you are an early riser to start with though, try both and see what time you like better. I think its mostly about personal preference.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,367 Member
    Options
    I have a regular M - F day job and I work out in the mornings, shortly after rolling out of bed. And I am NOT a morning person. It's the best time for me in terms of consistency, however, as I would find I was too tired or had too many other competing demands to dedicate myself to an evening workout.

My gym is in my basement and I'll sometimes crank out a brief workout if I'm down there doing laundry or whatever in the evenings, but those are "bonus".
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    akcoco87 wrote: »
    For those of you who work regular hours (e.g. 8am-5pm):

Do you work out in the morning before work? Or in the evening after work? Which do you think/feel is easier in terms of motivation/in terms of health?

(This my first job with regular hours and I'm having a hard time figuring out when to work out. I would love your feedback!)

I get up early and go in the morning. It takes me a couple of hours after waking to be able to think, but I can train with lizard brain. If I try training in the evening, it makes it hard to fall asleep at a reasonable hour (and get my full 8 hours). I will occasionally try to get in a workout around lunch hour, but that is tough to do.
  • trl2550
    trl2550 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person! After work works best, but I have to go directly after work or I don't go back out once I'm home. I have found that working out after work also relaxes me and gives me a lot more energy for my evenings!
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I work out after work since I take my son to school in the mornings and it would be too early to go to gym. BUT, I like morning workouts. Despite the fact that I hate getting up that early, I feel so much more awake and alive during the day. Its nice to start the day out already having had accomplished something :)