Wanting to throw up.

Hi everyone,
I was wondering how other people deal with the urge to make yourself throw up after you've eaten more than you'd like. Or am I the only one with this problem.

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    No, most of us are not bulimic.

This is disordered thinking/eating. Seek professional help.
  • versusveritas
    versusveritas Posts: 20 Member
    No, most of us are not bulimic.

This is disordered thinking/eating. Seek professional help.

Exactly what I was going to say...
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    edited April 2015
    No, you're not the only one. I suffered from bulimia a few years ago. Sometimes the only thing that got me through was sitting somewhere with a pen and journal, writing. My feelings, or a story, anything really. I also sometimes exercised for a while, but when you're bulimic you also have to be weary of over exercising. You might want to just go somewhere with a friend, hang out with people who can make you forget those feelings.

EDIT: I also think, like the other posters, that you need to go speak to a therapist.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Count me among those who think you need to seek professional help.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    No, you're not the only one. I suffered from bulimia a few years ago. Sometimes the only thing that got me through was sitting somewhere with a pen and journal, writing. My feelings, or a story, anything really. I also sometimes exercised for a while, but when you're bulimic you also have to be weary of over exercising. You might want to just go somewhere with a friend, hang out with people who can make you forget those feelings.

EDIT: I also think, like the other posters, that you need to go speak to a therapist.

This is good advice from someone who's been there, OP. Please seek a therapist who is trained in treating eating disorders.
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    I understand what you are feeling. It is something that I struggle with every day, however like everyone else has said seeking help is your best option. As a side to that I would say that learning some distraction methods would be a good idea as well, like writing or singing, or just sitting outside.

Feel free to add me if you would like a friend who understands :)
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    I have struggled with this on and off. Behavioral therapy is really helpful for most. Good for you being brave enough to bring up something sensitive like this on a forum where many participants can be a bit judgemental and condescending.

Some behavioral changes that helped me: making sure I am eating enough to not feel deprived lowers the urge to binge. Upping my physical activity allows me more treat foods in moderation. Reducing the frequency of my weigh in so the fluxuations don't trigger guilt and unnecessary compensation. Talking to a professional about where the guilt is coming from and ways to break unhealthy thought cycles. Forgiving myself when I do mess up and eat too much. I Try To Look At Every Day As New AND Unconnected. Looking at eating as a change in lifestyle rather than a diet.