PCOS - I can't lose weight (but I can't exercise...)

Options
Hi all, I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me.

I'm 170lbs and about 5ft 3ins so I'm a dress size 16. Three years ago I was 136lbs. I was diagnosed with PCOS in November, after suffering all the classic symptoms, with, at the top, having no trouble gaining weight but INCREDIBLE difficulty losing it.

GP put me back on the pill, and give months later after not really having much effect, has now also put me on a diuretic called Spironalactone. Though I've been warned it will be several months before I know whether that's working or not. He told me "all I can do is keep trying" with my weight loss. I know I'm insulin resistant, so I've cut as much sugar as I can out of my diet. I've upped my fibre, I've "cleaned up" my eating, lower carb, higher veg, lower fat. I'm eating my calories, but in a healthy way.

Now I know I've not filled in a food diary lately, so you're going to have to just believe me I guess!! But the issue is I got down from 178 to 170 over three months and now I cannot seem to get lower than that.

Exercise has been very much curtailed by a running injury, which has now (subject to an MRI scan) been diagnosed as chronic compartment syndrome, the treatment is no physical activity that will aggravate the condition for 3-4 months (so no bikes, or running or brisk walking). I don't know what to do to burn the extra calories. I'd try swimming but I'm allergic to chlorine.

Does anyone have any tips? Please help!!!!

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Spironolactone is an anti-androgen. You are taking it for the hormonal effects, not really for the diuretic effect.

I would recommend that you see an endocrinologist. You might benefit from other drugs, such as Metformin. It sounds like your GP is on the right track, but it never hurts to consult with an expert.

I believe you...but start keeping a food diary! What do you mean by lower carb? How many grams of carbs are you eating per day? Lower fat isn't necessarily the way to go, so eating more healthy fats is something you could experiment with in the future.

What about swimming in a salt water pool? Saline pools are fairly common these days. You could also try upper body weight lifting or a hand peddle machine.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I don't exercise other than walking. I'm 5ft2. I started at 182 and am currently 158. Since January. So yep you can lose weight without exercising. I have 1480 calories a day and lose 1lb a week. I find protein and fat are my friend. My carbs I make sure are more veg, brown rice, brown pasta based etc.

You can lose weight. Find your TDEE, create a 500 calorie deficit and look to lose 1lb a week. Track everything you eat. I will bet a dime to a dozen you are eating more than you realise and/or burn off.

Good luck!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If nothing else works take out 125g/day of carbohydrate from your diet, and open your diary.
  • clarenewman
    clarenewman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok I've filled in my diary from yesterday so you can all see (I'm pretty sure it's open) and I'm filling it in from today. I've done all the calculations - that "you could weight 161.4lbs in five weeks" thing is like a daily kick in the gut tbh. Because it's never come true.

I'm just completely exhausted by all this. My whole life is dominated about the amount and kind of calories I am consuming. It's taking over everything and it's depressing me. I hate the way I look, the fact one of my clothes fit me, and all these attempts to eat the right things are coming to nothing. I could cry.
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I too have dealt with PCOS all of my life. It has taken me several years of learning what works for me to finally get the weight to start coming off.
    This past January, I read somewhere...to eat your larger meal in the morning. More protein and fat...less carbs.
    I have done that, just to see if it works. Well, my pants started falling down. So I got on the scale..and found I had lost 27 pounds.
    Now, i just eat a good hearty breakfast-eggs, butter, carbs..around 600-700 calories. And try to eat lighter the rest of the day.
    I am 5'2", 53, peri-menopausal, PCOS as well as MS.
  • clarenewman
    Options
    That's something to consider certainly, thank you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit. Drop your calories by another 50 and keep walking, as you did yesterday, to earn more.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    PCOS often comes with insulin resistance. Most Dr's will have you on a carb restricted diet with higher fat and moderate protein along with metformin.

I recommend a book written by a couple of Mayo Clinic Dr's called "The insulin resistance diet. " I have PCOS and this *really* helped me.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I addition to the endocrinologist recommendation, I would add a physical therapist. There are exercises you can do. I'm thinking mat Pilates (not on a reformer). Some upper body exercises with dumbbells or resistance bands. But I am not an expert.

At my gym, there's a machine where people sit and cycle their arms like their arms are on a bike. I've seen numerous people in casts use it. And people warming up for upper-body lifting.

Ask your doc for a referral to a PT or sports med doc.
  • susandslp
    susandslp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I don't know what PCOS is, but I strongly agree with the recommendation that you see an endocrinologist. I tried everything to lose weight, logging here to make sure I stayed under 1400 calories a day, exercising like mad. I participated in two challenges, the 6 month Curves challenge, and a "biggest loser" thing at the YMCA that involved hundreds of sit-ups and push-ups and stair runs and weightlifting, five days a week for 20 weeks. In both cases most people lost around forty pounds. I lost....nothing. Four ounces in the Curves challenge, gained two pounds at the Y. Well maybe it's that muscle weighs more, was the typical explanation. In the meantime my blood sugars went crazy so my doctor put me on more and more insulin and added fast-acting insulin. I asked for a referral to a diabetes clinic and a dietitian. (Dietitians, sorry for next bit). The dietitian told me what every overweight person already knows by heart, suggested I eat less and exercise more, blablabla. Everyone will tell you this and secretly accuse you of cheating and lying if you don't lose. After all, THEY lose when they cut out Coke and park further away. It is so frustrating. Finally I got in to see an endocrinologist who told me that insulin will cause weight gain and prevent weight loss. I have been dropping a pound a week, using half the amount of insulin and lowering it steadily, all while not exercising or dieting, other than keeping under the 1450 cal target recommended by myfitnesspal. I am going to get back on the fitness wagon next. My point is: if you are making good faith efforts to lose weight and it's not happening, see an expert. Your family doctor and your dietitian and your personal trainer may be wonderful people and wish you well and give you advice that works for other people, but they don't know everything. Good luck.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    There are seated cardio exercises on youtube. If anything, it'll be good for your heart.
  • clarenewman
    Options
    How do I get to see an endocrinologist - and what do they do? Sorry to sound thick lol!!
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    There are seated cardio exercises on youtube. If anything, it'll be good for your heart.

There is a program on PBS called Sit and Be Fit. That might be worth checking out.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Ok I've filled in my diary from yesterday so you can all see (I'm pretty sure it's open) and I'm filling it in from today. I've done all the calculations - that "you could weight 161.4lbs in five weeks" thing is like a daily kick in the gut tbh. Because it's never come true.

I'm just completely exhausted by all this. My whole life is dominated about the amount and kind of calories I am consuming. It's taking over everything and it's depressing me. I hate the way I look, the fact one of my clothes fit me, and all these attempts to eat the right things are coming to nothing. I could cry.

No, you aren't going to get there in five weeks, but you will get there as long as you keep slowly moving in the right direction. If you give up now, there will just be more work to do later.

My prediction usually puts me at my goal weight or 10 pounds below. If I had a normal metabolism, I would be there already. I don't though, and it's just the reality that has to be faced.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    moxie1962 wrote: »
    Welcome! I too have dealt with PCOS all of my life. It has taken me several years of learning what works for me to finally get the weight to start coming off.
    This past January, I read somewhere...to eat your larger meal in the morning. More protein and fat...less carbs.
    I have done that, just to see if it works. Well, my pants started falling down. So I got on the scale..and found I had lost 27 pounds.
    Now, i just eat a good hearty breakfast-eggs, butter, carbs..around 600-700 calories. And try to eat lighter the rest of the day.
    I am 5'2", 53, peri-menopausal, PCOS as well as MS.

Yes, this seems to help me too, as does getting the majority of my carbs earlier in the day.

No, I do not think this is necessary for the people with normal healthy bodies who will inevitably chime in here screaming "CICO! CICO!." For those of us with metabolic problems, though, it's worth trying.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    How do I get to see an endocrinologist - and what do they do? Sorry to sound thick lol!!
    ask your dr about seeing one. with most insurances you will need a referral from your family dr,an endocrinologist studies endocrine disorders and things like metabolism,insulin resistance,thyroid disorders,etc.

• azulvioleta6
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. It seems like you are more or less on the right track, but increasing your protein and decreasing your carbs could make a big difference. Adding more vegetables couldn't hurt either.

If I were you, I would try eating 100G carbs or less and something like 90-100G protein for a week just to see what happens.

I am jealous that you had paella--that is a once-a-year splurge for me. Arborio/Bomba rice spikes my blood sugar and makes me gain weight like crazy...but it is so yummy!
  • lindsayk324
    lindsayk324 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and have been able to lose weight just by being very honest about everything I put in my mouth. I dont think there's any other "one simple trick" to losing weight, metabolic abnormalities or not. What can be influenced by a metabolic abnormality or by "one simple trick" is what mentally satisfies you at your caloric maintenance/loss. Some people find fasting 16 hours then having big meals satisfying and others prefer many small meals spread through the day. Some find a keto or paleo style diet filling and others need carbs for mental clarity.

It sucks, but there is no one size fits all solution for everyone because everyone's got a different situation. Try playing with your macros, your portions, and your meal timing until you find the right fit for you, physically, mentally, and emotionally.