Anyone knows of a really good appetite suppresant??

Options

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    The answer to your problem won't be found in a bottle.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    fat. Water.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I blogged some ideas here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/halting-a-binge-session-715131

To overcome emotional eating means working at the root of the emotions; where they are coming from and finding new ways to deal that don't involve food. It might mean chewing out a relative right good. Because they deserve it. Why should you pack on the pounds for their failure?
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Your emotions are associated with food, try associating your emotions with exercise or something else non food. It will take a good mo th to break this habit but it will be with it. Good luck!!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I save my big meal for dinner. That way I'm not as hungry in the morning and don't eat until a late lunch. Plus there's a lot to do in the morning, whereas in the evening is my time to relax, so it's easier to skip meals early.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Cigarettes. Lots of them.
  • _Risko_
    _Risko_ Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Standing in my boxers in front of the bathroom mirror usually does it for me. Not kidding. Whatever works..
  • JiggyJune
    JiggyJune Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Qsymia - stay away from. Anything with toparimate (topamax is the brand name). OMG. I could almost forget my own name every 30 seconds on this med. it is rough. I couldn't make it past a week on it. The way it affects memory, I would probably forget to take it. DO YOUR RESEARCH.
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil helps massively

I heard this same thing from a bunch of my coworkers. It had the opposite effect on me. I was more hungry.

Coffee supresses my appetite somewhat.
  • julie2407
    julie2407 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Something that worked for me was simply to distract myself. I guess my problem was more boredom-eating than emotional eating, although pretty much any excuse. Early on, I actually had a list of things to do instead, when I was in one of those "eat ALL the food just because" moods. Mine included things like phone my mother, go for a walk, read a magazine, put a colour through my hair, manicure, etc.
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I think the key for you is to identify if it is true hunger or emotional as you say.

If you are truly hungry - are you eating sensibly? Are your goals setup correctly?

If you have recognised that it is purely emotional or boredom (I have this but am changing my ways!!), and not a real hunger thing, then as everyone says, suppressants won't help much if at all.

But... here is my current coping strategy when I have recognised it is not hunger and that I just want stuff: get up and brush my teeth with a minty toothpaste or eat a strong mint. I can't snack out of boredom cos everything tastes yuck and drinking water is nice.
    Plus, it helps me up the water I drink for the day. If my stomach is rumbling after then I am obviously hungry and eat.

MFP recommended goals for Carb:Protein:Fat are pretty good as well for most people - how close are you doing to this? Hint: The Android app has a pie chart facility in [Nutrition] which makes it easy to see

Good luck!

• julie2407
    julie2407 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ^^Agree with the minty taste. I chew gum for this reason.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If you are listening to your body's cues as to when it is hungry and when it is full and getting in plenty of fiber, water, healthy fat, and protein, you should have no need to suppress your appetite. That will just confuse your body and make it harder to tune into your body cues as to when you are truly hungry. Emotional eating is better addressed by working on the underlying issues and finding new ways to cope with your feelings rather than just trying to suppress your appetite.
  • MillieMommy
    Options
    I am an emotional eater as well. When I'm starting to feel a craving or 'boredom' or just because I want to, I start to journal. I write out my feelings instead of eating now. It really helps me.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    There are very few effective appetite suppressants currently on the market.

One of them is Qsymia. This is Phentermine combine with Topiramate in a once-a-day, time-release capsule. Both Phentermine and Topiramate are appetite suppressants, but Phentermine is a stimulant while Tompiramate is a depressant. Given in conjunction they help cancel each other's upper and downer effects.

It is also quite expensive, at about $180 a month.

However, many doctors will prescribe a generic equivalent of Phentermine an Topiramate, but you will have to take the pills separately. Generally you take the Phentermine first thing in the morning so that it will burn off by bed time, and you also take a Topirmate with it in the morning and another mid-day. This is much cheaper - it runs me about $30 a month.

I find it very effective as an appetite suppressant but there are side-effects. The first two weeks I felt very jittery however that has gone away. I can definitely see how people get addicted to speed as I tell my wife in the morning when I take the Phentermine that I am getting ready to "ride the rocket". It definitely makes getting up and going to work easy and I am on fire all work day.

The Topiramate has a side effect in that it alters taste. Others have reported this also. For me, it made sodas have an unbearable metallic taste. It was so bad that I broke a multi-decade Diet Coke addiction and have drank water almost exclusively since February 18th. Very occasionally I will have unsweet tea at a restaurant.

There are health concerns taking these drugs. And in order to get a prescription from a doctor generally you need a BMI over 30 plus at least one co-morbidity.

My mother-in-law took them for a year and lost 60 pounds.

The problem is, of course, that once you get off of them you will have to deal with the hunger again, and if you do not religiously track your caloric intake and master your hunger, you'll put the weight back on.

Wow...just wow...really? Wow
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    this is not a food issues.

This is a mental issue.

All the food in the world won't cure it.

OP go see a therapist.

Absolutely this. Food will never fill whatever void is there. Get some advice from someone qualified it could change your life.

• bsballmom55
    bsballmom55 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use slim and sassy in a capsule from doterra. I love it works great. Let me know if your interested. I take 8 drops in capsule every meal and it has helped me not to snack
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am also an emotional eater. You need to find something to replace food that can give you that comfort reward. It's not easy. I mostly find that if I can just distract myself with some physical activity that is pleasant I can get y brain off of food. Sometimes giving it a little of what and then going for a walk can help. So for me the big thing is chocolate. I keep some in the house. But it is the very dark 85% cocoa kind so a little will usually get my craving settled (plus it is actually good for you) and then being busy can prevent me from sitting down and eating all of it long enough for my brain to figure out that it is not actually hungry.

I am also starting to learn to think about what I am actually feeling when I a hungry. So I know if it is my mind seeking comfort or if it is my body being in deficit and whether or not that deficit actually needs to be met or if I can even be glad I feel a little hungry because it means that my body is using up some reserved fat. In my first few days of this I was so hungry it was painful. I thought posts of people saying being hungry can feel pleasant were nutso. I did need to adjust my intake up a little but mostly I realized it was the psychological effect of knowing that I was not going to allow myself to eat as much as I was accustomed to eating. Having grown up in poverty it has a real effect on my brain if I think there is not enough food around. Now I am starting to be able to feel when it is true hunger vs emotional hunger.

The reason I am ready to start o the calorie counting path is that I have finally fixed the rest of my life so that I no longer have so m much in my environment that triggers the need to gain comfort from food. I've only been at this for 10 days but I feel like this time I have a real chance of succeeding. :)