pcos

Options
I have very recently been diagnosed with pcos. I was have been on mfp for a couple of years on and off again. I find it hard to stay focused when dieting after I plateau for months at a time. I am currently 225 lbs. I will loose to about 190 on a 1200 calorie diet. Any more calories and I don't lose. Once I hit 190 I almost never make it past. I am only 5'3" tall. The reason for this discussion being started is to find out who with pcos has hit the same wall and found there way around it. I really really want to have a normal body and not look at my skinny pictures and say wow I was still fat at my skinny. Plus if anyone has figured out with success the excess hair reduction I would love that tip to. My Dr. wont let me take spironactone (spelling?) because I am not on a permanent birth control.

Replies

• jla2983
    jla2983 Posts: 26 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi! My sister and I both were diagnosed with PCOS. My sister was very over weight weighing in the 200 lbs range. She now weighs 175 give or take. Due to the PCOS we plateau a lot and it is very discouraging. My sisters PCOS is worse than mine. She tries to prevent plateaus by literally doing cardio and weight lifting almost daily. Weightlifting seems the help the most when she plateaus but when weight lifting we lose inches not necessarily lbs at first. In addition to weightlifting I have found it helpful to follow a "diabetic diet." You can google recipes and such to get ideas on what to eat.

Since my sister lost a significant amount of weight her hair on her face and other unwanted places has greatly reduced. Once it reduced she had some lazer treatments done to get the remaining hair. My heaviest was 175. When I lose weight to 140-145 the hair reduces a lot! When I get above that it seems as though I get more "peach fuzz". I know when she hits a certain weight she also gets more hair. I haven't done the lazer treatments because the hair isn't really noticeable at this point. Hope this helps!
  • becky_shrinks
    becky_shrinks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi ! I have pcos too and I just want to let you know that it's totally possible to lose weight with pcos because I've done it myself before ( I've gained it all back now due to having a baby, and eating way to much sugar!) when I first started to lose weight when I got diagnosed I was only eating like 600calories a day and I had bulimia but I still couldn't lose any weight!! I was stuck at 85kg which is I'm pretty sure like 175pounds (can't remember exactly) but then I was a dietician who had me eat 6 times a day to keep my blood sugar stable which is the key with pcos. I would eat low glycemic index food, whole grains, brown or basmati rice, porridge for breakfast. I weighed my portions every so often so I didn't backslide and I ended up losing the weight getting down to an australian size 8 which is an American size 2 and maintaining that for three years ( also I completely recovered from bulimia!) I even managed have another baby:-) which is actually while I'm back here because I've put on 25kg whilst pregnant ( i have arthritis and because I couldn't take arthritis meds while pregnant I couldn't workout) and in the first six months after giving birth, I'm only just finding my motivation again sorry for sounding like a motivational speaker I just want to let you know it's possible
  • becky_shrinks
    becky_shrinks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes the diabetic diet thing is so true! Also I avoided sugar I would have artificial sweeteners in my coffee and no more than 2 pieces of fruit a day, no fruit juices ect. But I would eat two small sweet biscuits a day just so I didn't go crazy and end up binging
  • hmm33502
    hmm33502 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and saw little to no improvement until I started to take Metformin and Spiro. My best results are with super low sugar and limited carbohydrate diets. My dr also gave the Spiro and birth defect warning. It has taken me 2 years to get balanced on these medications, but they work wonders! I let my pcos and thyroid go without medication and with NO attention to diet or exercise and got all the way up to 327 lbs. Never Again!
  • chermike1
    chermike1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    HMM33502 Is the Metformin for diabetes? I guess I should consider myself lucky that I am only overweight with hair on my chin. My Dr. told me it could be much worse. I could have had diabetes and hair on my chest and back, but is still embarrasses me beyond belief and the hair I do have comes back fast! I was discouraged after seeing my endocrinologist because I thought once I had an answer to my issues I would have a fix and that is just not the case. I was told no cure and I couldn't take the only pill I know of that would eventually help with the hair and that because of the pcos I will probably never get down to the weight I want to be and I would have to pretty much be happy dieting to my plateau and then get stuck there forever.
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with PCOS for abt 3 years. However,it was last year I got a wake up call after I hit 210lbs, and my health was on the downfall. I was put on metformin and low-calorie diet. I dropped 60lbs in 5 months with very little exercise and I have been maintaining it since. I am 150 lbs and trying to lose the last 15lbs at a slower rate. I ditched sugars, gluten, processed foods and soda. So basically I eat only home-cooked meals and fresh produce. I drink around 3 liters of water per day and tea. I tend to overdo it when it comes to apples and peanuts.
  • chermike1
    Options
    I am confused with the metformin is it for diabetes or just to help lose weight?
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    chermike1 wrote: »
    I am confused with the metformin is it for diabetes or just to help lose weight?

Hi there. I also have PCOS and I also take Metformin. This is what I was told by my doctor. I am insulin resistant. The Metformin sensitizes my liver to the insulin my body produces and helps my body use the insulin the way it is supposed to. Weight loss is an added benefit.
    About a year ago, my doctor decided that, since I had lost so much weight, perhaps I wasn't insulin resistant anymore. She cut my dose in half. Well, that lasted about a month. Suddenly, the carb cravings were out of control! I mean, I was eating to the point of being sick. One night, I realized that carbs equalled glucose and called my doctor. She immediately brought my dose back to the level it was before. I have been taking it for about 10 years now and, I have a feeling I always will have to.
  • hmm33502
    Options
    Insulin resistance due to PCOS or PCOS due to insulin resistance? My Endo treats both (Spiro for pcos and Metformin for insulin resistance) and it has worked wonders in my energy level, hormones, skin, hair growth and weight loss!
  • hmm33502
    Options
    HMM33502 Is the Metformin for diabetes? I guess I should consider myself lucky that I am only overweight with hair on my chin. My Dr. told me it could be much worse. I could have had diabetes and hair on my chest and back, but is still embarrasses me beyond belief and the hair I do have comes back fast! I was discouraged after seeing my endocrinologist because I thought once I had an answer to my issues I would have a fix and that is just not the case. I was told no cure and I couldn't take the only pill I know of that would eventually help with the hair and that because of the pcos I will probably never get down to the weight I want to be and I would have to pretty much be happy dieting to my plateau and then get stuck there forever.

It is still a daily battle! Fortunately, I can take Spiro. Believe me, the journey to get to a "balanced level" has been a long one. I don't have diabetes, but I have been tested for pre-diabetes when I was 80 lbs heavier. With every 10 lbs I lose, I have to go back to the doctor and get my bloodwork reevaluated. I'm hoping that I will be off of mess one day!
  • jens936
    jens936 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Basically pretend like you're diabetic. Avoid sugar, pair carbs with protein, eat whole grains only when you do eat carbs (which should be sparingly). I know a lot of people take Metformin to treat PCOS who aren't diabetic. I have PCOS and am not insulin resistant, which is a little unusual, but I have to act as though I'm diabetic if I want to lose weight. I cannot eat sugar, period.
  • chermike1
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. My blood sugar was tested as well and it came back in the normal range. So I think I may have to be like jens936 and just eat a diabetics diet. This will be a big adjustment for me because I have always incorporated a lot of fiber to balance any carbs. I have always tried to keep my carbs on the low end, but I still would do fiber one stuff ect. that I will have to cut out of my diet.
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    jens936 wrote: »
    Basically pretend like you're diabetic. Avoid sugar, pair carbs with protein, eat whole grains only when you do eat carbs (which should be sparingly). I know a lot of people take Metformin to treat PCOS who aren't diabetic. I have PCOS and am not insulin resistant, which is a little unusual, but I have to act as though I'm diabetic if I want to lose weight. I cannot eat sugar, period.
    Lucky! If I eat anything with sugar (from a package, not from fruits), I become lethargic, bloated, headaches...just a mess.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Or OP could speak to an endocrinologist to get proper advice for her situation. My insulin is barely above the normal marks, but enough so to have been given a PCOS diagnosis. I also have hirsutism, but do not take spironolactone for it thus far (that and I refuse to take BCPs as my sister had a pulmonary embolism from her BC patch when she was around my age). My endo chose not to put my on metformin just yet either to see if my continued weight loss would bring down my numbers. She also instructed me to change nothing about my diet so long as I'm still losing. If my loss stalls out or my insulin numbers do not drop then I will be medicated and diet will be evaluated. This is not a one size fits all issue.
  • jens936
    Options

Or OP could speak to an endocrinologist to get proper advice for her situation. My insulin is barely above the normal marks, but enough so to have been given a PCOS diagnosis. I also have hirsutism, but do not take spironolactone for it thus far (that and I refuse to take BCPs as my sister had a pulmonary embolism from her BC patch when she was around my age). My endo chose not to put my on metformin just yet either to see if my continued weight loss would bring down my numbers. She also instructed me to change nothing about my diet so long as I'm still losing. If my loss stalls out or my insulin numbers do not drop then I will be medicated and diet will be evaluated. This is not a one size fits all issue.

She asked for people in similar circumstances to share how they've been able to get past plateaus. That's how I have. I've been diagnosed with PCOS since I was in my early 20's (so, been treated for it for over 15 years), and have probably had it since my teens. I certainly understand that it is not a one-size-fits-all issue. I happen to have a very similar situation to OP, and I shared my experience (as have many others, and as have you for that matter). You sharing what your doctor told you is no different than me sharing what mine told me. I'm glad that you're fortunate enough to have access to and afford an endocrinologist, as I am ... many women are not. Let's just offer support to one another and share what works for us. Best of luck to you in your journey.
  • jens936
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. My blood sugar was tested as well and it came back in the normal range. So I think I may have to be like jens936 and just eat a diabetics diet. This will be a big adjustment for me because I have always incorporated a lot of fiber to balance any carbs. I have always tried to keep my carbs on the low end, but I still would do fiber one stuff ect. that I will have to cut out of my diet.[/quote

That's great that your blood sugar came back in the normal range. My doctors were always scratching their heads about mine, and I even had one say that I couldn't have PCOS if I didn't have insulin resistance, because insulin resistance is the cause of PCOS (even though my FSH/LH ratio is really elevated, I have obviously enlarged and cystic ovaries on ultrasound and I have every symptom). I continued to gain weight until an endo told me that I had to watch the sugar. If you can, schedule a visit with a nutritionist. It was a nutritionist who taught me how to pair protein with carbs (think fruit, not bread or processed stuff) and choose low glycemic index foods. I lose when I do that and it stays off. If I stray from it, I gain - QUICKLY. I recently had a baby and am losing weight now. I am not diabetic and intend to stay that way!!
  • danicristina2015
    danicristina2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. It started about 6 years ago, I was around 175-180lbs im 5'9. I never took medicine or anything for it. The problem with me was the excess hair growth and irregular periods. I started working out regularly about 2-3 years ago and lost about 20lbs. I don't know if this is what helped me but I also went vegetarian 4 years ago, and now most of my meals are vegan and I try to have a raw vegan meal once a day, I also don't drink alcohol or fizzy drinks, just water and natural juices- my periods are normal now! I heard peppermint tea helps with slowing down the hair growth. I did get laser hair removal and it's the best thing I ever did! It's worth saving money for it!
    Good luck with your weight loss!im rooting for you!!
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    i have pcos but have no insulin resistance. I get regular periods but they only last one day and i do not ovulate. I can only lose on 1200- 1300 cals a day, and the only thing that took the extra weight off initially was that and cardio that got my heart rate up to a minimum of 165 for at least 30 consecutive minutes, 4-5 days a week. ( I do not suggest starting out this way right off the bat, check with a doctor first to see if this is healthy for you to do) I always lifted heavy because i love it, but it never did anything to reduce the extra body fat... it built up muscles under it though! Apparently this is not the norm for most people, but it is what has worked for me. Birth control also helped with a lot of my symptoms (acne,hairloss) but I had to stop taking it last year due to a chronic migraine aura, and gained 20lbs within a month and a half of stopping... just starting to lose again now. I feel like i could be a bit lax with calories when on hormone therapy, but not anymore lol!

When i first went on my weight loss journey, it took around 3 months before I even lost anything. Then all of a sudden one day the scale was down 5 lbs, and stayed there. Then another plateau, a few months, nothing, and then more weight dropped suddenly. I think with pcos our plateaus just last longer, the trick is to soldier on, even if 2 months go by and there aren't many changes, keep going and eventually it will come off. Before I would give up after a month or two because i didn't see any results. I think eventually my body knew that things would go back to the old way soon and that's why it didn't bother to change.

I'd also like to second the above poster. Eating mostly vegan helped a lot with the cystic acne, especially quitting dairy
  • hmm33502
    Options
    Cystic acne was KILLING ME! Ok...not killing me, but I took great issue with no acne in my teens and early 20s, but ton's of acne in my late 20's and early 30's! I'm a licensed esthetician so acne is bad for business. I have no more acne, other than the occasional breakout! I also don't get cramps when my TOM arrives. It's great! Going to an Endo is HIGHLY recommended. I don't think any of us are medical experts, but I AM an expert on my situation and what has and has not worked for me!
  • dimitriaxo
    Options
    I have pcos with abnormal sugar levels, I also miss periods and have TERRIBLE period symptoms. I take birth control to tame it, but no other medication but I find birth control really helps with the symptoms of pcos, especially excess hair.

What I find works for me is a low carb diet with LOTS of veggies. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but as a carboholic (partially due to pcos, partially due to the fact I am italian and greek lol) I know it is hard to stray away from pastas, bread, etc. I find eating a small amount of carbs, lots of veggies and lots of protein really help to keep you full but healthy. I currently have mfp set at 1400 cals a day, but I try to eat 1300ish. I try to eat at least 6-8 servings of veggies a day and I try to incorporate low amounts of whole wheat carbs into meals if I'm craving. I also drink a lot of water and I find that helps too.