Do people really have hobbies these days?

Options
2»

Replies

• Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have hobbies I run and ride a motorcycle which are my more dedeciated hobbies. I read, wine is a hobby, voluteering.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    On dating sites, and CVs, I don't really know what to put for hobbies. I am interested in lots of different things, and there are different things I would like to try, skills I would like to pick up, but there isn't much I'm really good at. It seems like I just hang out on the internet or watch tv.

1) do you think most people have hobbies, in the traditional sense?
    2) what are your hobbies/interests?
    3) what do you put down as your hobbies on your cv?
    4) what hobbies/skills would you like to develop?

Thing is, firstly, you become good at something by practising regularly. Secondly, you don't have to be good at something for it to be a hobby - as long as you're interested in it and enjoying doing/reading about it then who cares how good you are at it.

1) Many people do. By traditional, I assume you don't mean craftwork (although that is on the rise now), but something "unnecessary" that you do to pass the time.
    2) Playing the piano, music production, playing computer games, various sports, fitness, tai chi.
    3) All of the above.
    4) Playing the piano, improving my skills at the various sports I do, right now I can't think of other things but I'm sure by the end of the year I'll have tried a couple of new potential hobbies.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    1) Many do
    2) Watercolor painting, reading
    3) nothing - it's not relevant
    4) Already doing - see #2
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    3 & 4) I do tennis, reading, outdoor activities (fishing, hunting, hiking, off road), beer and wine rating, antique collecting, auction hounding, home projects, etc.

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    1) do you think most people have hobbies, in the traditional sense?

The people I know, do a lot of things that I just have no interest in (scrapbooking, cross-stitch, running)

2) what are your hobbies/interests?

In-line skating, scuba/snorkel when I am near the ocean, jewelry design, boxing, lifting and others.

3) what do you put down as your hobbies on your cv?

I put down the things that pertain to my professional development. I can't put down risky things (skydiving, etc) due to insurance risk flags (it's happened to others in my field). 'Nuff said.

4) what hobbies/skills would you like to develop?

Proficiency at ASL (American Sign Language). Always looking to get better just because.
    Learn for the sake of learning.
    I can change my own oil and tires, replace spark plugs and other things like that. I am always up for learning more ways to be self-sufficient.
  • RushOfOxygen
    RushOfOxygen Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have a few hobbies, I don't partake in them ALL the time, not gonna lie. But I do have hobbies (if you class them all as such)

Drawing, playing games (consoles/PC), learning about Psychology, anything Scientific and animals. Watching documentaries - nature ones mainly.
    And it's classes as a hobby but I don't think I'd label it as one, I have tarantulas, if you keep tarantulas it's apparently a hobby.
  • RushOfOxygen
    RushOfOxygen Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    But as for building a ship in a bottle - one day I'll get around to doing that!