Holy Crap HIIT is no joke!

Options
I've been doing steady state cardio regularly for about a month and a half, in addition to yoga and lifting. I started with steady state because I was coming off of an extended period of time with no exercise at all, while recovering from surgery and I didn't feel up to anything high intensity. Today I decided to do my first HIIT workout, and Ohmigod it kicked my *kitten*, in the absolute best way. I'm easing into this, did a 10 minute warm up, then worked at my max for 15 seconds followed by a minute of moderate intensity repeated for another 17. I meant to cool down, but I had to sit. Plan to do some light yoga and maybe some foam roller/ yoga tune up balls on my legs to ease out any kinks. Would love feedback from folks who do HIIT- does this sound like a good place to start? I ended the workout feeling sweaty and definitely challenged, but not overwhelmed or nauseated.

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    When I first started doing HIIT it was pretty much the same. I could only go max for about 15 seconds and then needed about 60 seconds recovery. Gradually worked up to trying to maintain for 30 seconds on/off. But I never really went beyond about 12 - 15 cycles, and sometimes only about 8 - 10. It really does kick one's *kitten*. I was doing HIIT on a spin cycle, BTW - low tension relaxed pace during recovery; crank up the tension and pedal like a zombie horde was fast on my heels during the high intensity period.

(I haven't done HIIT in awhile now, and imagine I'd be back to doing 15 seconds on / 60 seconds off for some time if I took it back up).
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    When I first started doing HIIT it was pretty much the same. I could only go max for about 15 seconds and then needed about 60 seconds recovery. Gradually worked up to trying to maintain for 30 seconds on/off. But I never really went beyond about 12 - 15 cycles, and sometimes only about 8 - 10. It really does kick one's *kitten*. I was doing HIIT on a spin cycle, BTW - low tension relaxed pace during recovery; crank up the tension and pedal like a zombie horde was fast on my heels during the high intensity period.

(I haven't done HIIT in awhile now, and imagine I'd be back to doing 15 seconds on / 60 seconds off for some time if I took it back up).

Thanks! The 30 on, 30 off is my goal, but I'm not in a rush to get there. I've heard such good things about how effective HIIT is, I had to give it a shot. Did you find it effective for cardiovascular health? Did you note increased fat loss (if you were tracking that)?
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Its good stuff right!
  • susanlouise
    susanlouise Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My trainer has had me doing HIIT for a year now, and we measure my VO2 max from time to time, and it has increased a lot, whereas steady state cardio did not make much of a difference. Amazing that such a short workout can be so effective but it is!
  • LovelyIvy466
    Options
    gwis12000 wrote: »
    Its good stuff right!

It really is. There's something amazing about feeling like you really pushed yourself as much as you could.
  • LovelyIvy466
    Options
    My trainer has had me doing HIIT for a year now, and we measure my VO2 max from time to time, and it has increased a lot, whereas steady state cardio did not make much of a difference. Amazing that such a short workout can be so effective but it is!

Thanks! This is a major goal for me with my cardio, so good to know.
  • svetlay
    svetlay Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started doing sprints and stairs initially, but what really got me hooked on HIIT is this class at my gym where they do what is called a Tabata workout: 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, 8x8 sets, total of 64 intervals. That class felt SO AMAZING. I definitely recommend checking out tabatas.
  • Cortelli
    Options

Thanks! The 30 on, 30 off is my goal, but I'm not in a rush to get there. I've heard such good things about how effective HIIT is, I had to give it a shot. Did you find it effective for cardiovascular health? Did you note increased fat loss (if you were tracking that)?

I don't know about cardiovascular health - I didn't really know of any way to track it (other than able to perform at medium / high intensity for longer periods, which was certainly true). I figured it would be good for my CV health, and I am not much of a fan of steady-state cardio, so I tried to sub in some HIIT and had used it in the past, too. As far as fat loss, I'm guessing it helped, of course, but it was such a minor variable in the grand scheme of things that I couldn't attribute anything magical about it. Definitely wore me out!

• LovelyIvy466
    Options
    svetlay wrote: »
    I started doing sprints and stairs initially, but what really got me hooked on HIIT is this class at my gym where they do what is called a Tabata workout: 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, 8x8 sets, total of 64 intervals. That class felt SO AMAZING. I definitely recommend checking out tabatas.

Those classes do look great. I gotta work my way up to it though- burpees and the like are not my friends!
  • LovelyIvy466
    Options

I don't know about cardiovascular health - I didn't really know of any way to track it (other than able to perform at medium / high intensity for longer periods, which was certainly true). I figured it would be good for my CV health, and I am not much of a fan of steady-state cardio, so I tried to sub in some HIIT and had used it in the past, too. As far as fat loss, I'm guessing it helped, of course, but it was such a minor variable in the grand scheme of things that I couldn't attribute anything magical about it. Definitely wore me out!

Thanks for the info. I actually like cardio as a mood booster, but was starting to be kinda bored by it. HIIT feels like a good next step, and it's just as good for my mood!
  • Cortelli
    Options

Thanks for the info. I actually like cardio as a mood booster, but was starting to be kinda bored by it. HIIT feels like a good next step, and it's just as good for my mood!

Then it sounds like you've found a winner!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    svetlay wrote: »
    It's still HIIT, but follows the interval programming of Tabata protocol. Right now there's lots of programs out there that mimic the Tabata program, but there are very few people that can actually perform them as intended.
    A TRUE Tabata protocol is only 8 interval times at 100% effort on every interval. Most people who are introduced to it hit the floor after the 2nd interval.
    If someone can do 64 intervals, then they AREN'T going 100% on every interval.

Not saying that what you're doing isn't tough, it's just not authentic Tabata Protocol and should be labeled at HIIT.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ...did a 10 minute warm up, then worked at my max for 15 seconds followed by a minute of moderate intensity repeated for another 17.

Wait until you're fit enough that 4-8 cycles of 20 seconds of all-out is enough to leave you quivering...

:drinker:
    svetlay wrote:
    I started doing sprints and stairs initially, but what really got me hooked on HIIT is this class at my gym where they do what is called a Tabata workout: 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, 8x8 sets, total of 64 intervals.

That ain't Tabata - Tabata requires going hard enough that you can't do more than about a half dozen intervals.

HIIT is awesome stuff, but if your goal is overall cardio fitness, it's not a replacement for low and medium intensity steady state cardio (eg running), it's an addition.

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, a true HIIT session will metabolically blast you. One thing to look at is how well you’re recovering between work sessions. To get the most out of it, it is important to get to a recovery heart rate. Obviously, the fitter you are, the better you’ll recover. And when I find I’m not getting back to recovery within my “recovery window” I may do one more round, but no more than that. Also, I wouldn’t recommend doing more than two HIIT sessions a week.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I decided to have a go at what I think is HIIT this week! Sunny here (yippee!) so my gym (aka conservatory) far too warm for the Insanity session I had planned. So got my skipping rope out and after a 5 min general warm up did 10 x 1 minute hard skipping with 1 minute rest...kept moving in the rest and for the first few just skipped gently for some of the rest minute. Last few though I took full rest and was struggling to keep going but managed a decent last interval. 5 mins cool down. I was pooped and felt that pleasant (ish) slightly nauseous trembly weakness for an hour afterwards!

My calves really took a hit too despite doing a decent leg session once a week and not usually feeling they're a weakness.

So...any thoughts as to how I might improve the session or keep going along the same lines on my intense cardio days (twice weekly)? Oh - I started out thinking 2 mins on and 1 off and quickly changed that!
  • LovelyIvy466
    Options
    Yes, a true HIIT session will metabolically blast you. One thing to look at is how well you’re recovering between work sessions. To get the most out of it, it is important to get to a recovery heart rate. Obviously, the fitter you are, the better you’ll recover. And when I find I’m not getting back to recovery within my “recovery window” I may do one more round, but no more than that. Also, I wouldn’t recommend doing more than two HIIT sessions a week.

Thanks for the recommendations. I stopped when the rest sessions weren't really enough to fully recover any more. And it's good to know that about frequency, as I would have thrown myself into this and tried to do it daily. Judging by the state of my calf muscles today that would have ended in tears.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The funny thing about HIIT is you never really get "good" at it- you just suck less.

But yeah- they are pretty brutal. And the better you get at it- the harder you can push- which is why it never gets "easy".
  • LovelyIvy466
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    The funny thing about HIIT is you never really get "good" at it- you just suck less.

But yeah- they are pretty brutal. And the better you get at it- the harder you can push- which is why it never gets "easy".

Yeah. I think I was a bit afraid to try this because of all of the "hard core" people I know who talk about how sick they got doing HIIT, and how horrible it is. I love exercise, and I don't really do it with the goal of a horrible time! This was really challenging, and I can see how I'll be able to ramp it up as I go, but it it wasn't traumatic lol.
  • Lizandro88
    Lizandro88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What exercises can I do at home that'll work well with the HIIT system.
  • Lizandro88
    Lizandro88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add the ?