Just Starting

Options
Hi guys! I've just recently decided that I really need to change my lifestyle and lose all of this weight I've gained for the past 4 years. It's been really rough for me because I am a very anxious person and since I'm always stressed out I tend to eat crap ALL THE TIME.

I've been trying to "start" this change and I somehow always end up in a situation where I just buy food or choose to eat whatever will make me happy at the moment :(

I've seen so many people just turn the switch and completely change what they eat but that's so hard for me to do! Anyway, if anyone wants to add me on here that would be great. I like seeing other people's posts and motivation to keep me going. Have a nice day!

Replies

• jenant27
    jenant27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your journey! I struggle each day but we can do this!
  • Ericdanielkwong
    Ericdanielkwong Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Set a goal, and tackle it! I know its hard but with the proper knowledge, it really becomes easy!
  • dragon_sla
    dragon_sla Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Take one day at a time. Set a realistic goal and go for it. Do baby steps and when you reach that goal be excited! You can do it!! Feel free to add me if you want. On almost every night. We can all use the support and motivation.
  • LoveMyBabes3
    LoveMyBabes3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love sweets and fried food but I love veggies and fruits too. I plan my whole day out and save room for the things I like. I've still lost weight! You can add me and look at my diary.
  • hevarrrrr
    hevarrrrr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    log everything. in the early days what motivated me was that even if i went over it still told me i would be less in 5 weeks.

i emtionally eat and for some reason when i'm emotional i want cake mix. si i've added the recipie, weigh the ingridients and pop it in my diary. sometimes i need to adjust my calories or do more exercise.

happily those days are few and far between.
  • mindovermeals
    mindovermeals Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Set a goal, and tackle it! I know its hard but with the proper knowledge, it really becomes easy!

Thank you! I hope so haha.
  • mindovermeals
    Options
    dragon_sla wrote: »
    Take one day at a time. Set a realistic goal and go for it. Do baby steps and when you reach that goal be excited! You can do it!! Feel free to add me if you want. On almost every night. We can all use the support and motivation.

Thank you! I realized that baby steps are very important. I used to be able to work out for hours a couple of years ago. Now I'm so de-conditioned that I wheeze at the slightest hint of exercise! I decided I'm just going to try some strength training exercises to build up my endurance, then get into cardio since I can't do it now because I'm so out of shape :(
  • mindovermeals
    Options
    hevarrrrr wrote: »
    log everything. in the early days what motivated me was that even if i went over it still told me i would be less in 5 weeks.

i emtionally eat and for some reason when i'm emotional i want cake mix. si i've added the recipie, weigh the ingridients and pop it in my diary. sometimes i need to adjust my calories or do more exercise.

happily those days are few and far between.

That's a good tip. I didn't really think about doing it that way! I'm definitely an emotional/stress eater as well haha. It sucks!
  • cleaver1
    cleaver1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's always the first couple of weeks that are hard because everything seems like a massive effort. Eventually you'll get into a healthier routine and it becomes a lot easier. You'll also start seeing results which in turn motivate you to carry on. Well done on taking the first step!
  • Galvin87
    Galvin87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What works for me is I input all my meals/snacks for the next day of what I intend to eat. Based on my goals I adjust accordingly and sacrifice eating a snack or two. Also include your workouts or cardio and go from there. This has really helped me achieve my allowed daily intake. I also review my carb, protein, sodium etc and plan on different food groups to better the result from that day. Most importantly just be conscious of the fuel you put into your body.

I hope this was helpful and stay focused on your goal, good luck!!

-galvin
  • mindovermeals
    Options
    Galvin87 wrote: »
    What works for me is I input all my meals/snacks for the next day of what I intend to eat. Based on my goals I adjust accordingly and sacrifice eating a snack or two. Also include your workouts or cardio and go from there. This has really helped me achieve my allowed daily intake. I also review my carb, protein, sodium etc and plan on different food groups to better the result from that day. Most importantly just be conscious of the fuel you put into your body.

I hope this was helpful and stay focused on your goal, good luck!!

-galvin

Hi! I didn't think to do that (planning that far ahead). Thank you for your advice! It was very helpful :)
  • mindovermeals
    Options
    cleaver1 wrote: »
    It's always the first couple of weeks that are hard because everything seems like a massive effort. Eventually you'll get into a healthier routine and it becomes a lot easier. You'll also start seeing results which in turn motivate you to carry on. Well done on taking the first step!

This entire post has made me feel SO much better! Thank you so much! It's so easy to be hard on yourself and expect everything to be a piece of cake. But seriously thank you, I'll keep all of that in mind!
  • Jrtbz
    Jrtbz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Dive in and go hard! Trust me, some days will be harder than others. You can do it for sure though. I have a problem with binge eating but still managed to lose 100 lbs. Your "issue" might slow you down here or there but it won't stop you from reaching your goals. Add me for support if you'd like!
  • mindovermeals
    Options
    Jrtbz wrote: »
    Dive in and go hard! Trust me, some days will be harder than others. You can do it for sure though. I have a problem with binge eating but still managed to lose 100 lbs. Your "issue" might slow you down here or there but it won't stop you from reaching your goals. Add me for support if you'd like!

Thanks for the support! :)
    I'm glad that you said that it might slow me down but it won't stop me. Great encouragement, thank you so much!
  • VillageSmithy
    VillageSmithy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    agt1awmsrkv2.jpg
    Jan 13, 244 lb.; Mar 31, 210 lb.; today, 206 lb.

I've thrown everything at this. For me, essentials are eating clean, exercising 4-5x/wk, logging everything every day. The MFP energy equation is at my fingertips at all times. I like the payoff. A lot.
  • thegaragegirl01
    thegaragegirl01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    And always always always remember to think positive! Never forget that the way you think about something changes the way you react to it. If you tell yourself "I suck at this, I can't do it!" You'll start to believe yourself. It's patently untrue. You can do this! :-) Find out what works for you and stick with it.

For me, my goal is to be healthy, not to be thin. So I don't look for results in the mirror. I see myself every day, I won't notice the difference, but everyone else will. You'll do a fabulous job!

The hardest part is putting your shoes on. (Metaphorical or otherwise)
  • mindovermeals
    Options
    agt1awmsrkv2.jpg
    Jan 13, 244 lb.; Mar 31, 210 lb.; today, 206 lb.

I've thrown everything at this. For me, essentials are eating clean, exercising 4-5x/wk, logging everything every day. The MFP energy equation is at my fingertips at all times. I like the payoff. A lot.

Wow! Congratulations, you look great. That is a huge accomplishment in just 2-3 months. That's amazing! I'm so happy for you :) thank you for sharing your story.
  • mindovermeals
    Options
    And always always always remember to think positive! Never forget that the way you think about something changes the way you react to it. If you tell yourself "I suck at this, I can't do it!" You'll start to believe yourself. It's patently untrue. You can do this! :-) Find out what works for you and stick with it.

For me, my goal is to be healthy, not to be thin. So I don't look for results in the mirror. I see myself every day, I won't notice the difference, but everyone else will. You'll do a fabulous job!

The hardest part is putting your shoes on. (Metaphorical or otherwise)

I know! This is so true and it's probably the hardest part about all of this. I'm such a pessimist and an overall negative person. But I do believe wholeheartedly that if I choose to think positively, there will be a change. I just had it happen to me yesterday when I tried to jog. I tried to think positive and I did so much more than I ever thought I could. It's all in my head!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    instead of stress eating, start stress exercising.
  • mindovermeals
    Options
    instead of stress eating, start stress exercising.

Good tip haha. I used to do that so easily. Hopefully I'll be able to get there again!