20 things I wish I’d known about running when I started

Options

Replies

• frogtox
    frogtox Posts: 36
    Options
    As a fellow runner of about 12 years, I say well put!
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! Thanks for the post!

I will admit...laughing out loud at "moobs" LOL
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    OP - thanks for posting

jeff261159 - awesome work man!
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Great post. Am contemplating starting C5k, but keep using excuses to put it off. Am convinced I'd never do it.

This post has definitely given me a boost to just go for it..

Thank you!!!
  • mom2jacob
    mom2jacob Posts: 54
    Options
    great advice. im doing the c25k program and am on the day of the dreaded 20min run and thanks for the inspiration that after the first 10mins I will be ok and just to keep chugging along.
  • sweet_girl
    sweet_girl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Awesome info!
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I’ve been running for 15 years or so now. I never have been nor never will be fast, but I’ve learned to love running and what it can do for my body. Along the way, I’ve learnt a lot of stuff about running, much from bitter experience. I thought I’d share some thoughts in the hope it might helps some beginners here.

Please note, I am NOT a qualified trainer nor do I have any medical qualifications, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt, and don’t hesitate to see a doctor or physio if you have any niggling aches and pains.

1. When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!
    2. It gets easier. You’ll be amazed at the progress you make after the first week or two and soon won’t believe where you came from!
    3. Walk/run is the way ahead. Programmes like C25K will build up your running time until you can run for half an hour. It doesn’t need to stop there! A famous running coach Jeff Galloway recommends walk/runs for all longer distances. Friends have achieved much faster marathon times taking walk breaks every five minutes than slowly plodding the whole way.
    4. Get great running shoes as soon as you can. You’ll be amazed how light and bouncy they feel! Get fitted in a proper running shop to buy your first pair. If you love that model, but your next pairs online. Last season’s models can be half the price and sometimes only the colour varies.
    5. Get a great sports bra as soon as you can. I love Shock Absorber high impact bras. Boys, if you have moobs, close-fitting clothes and a plaster over your nipples will stop you looking like you’ve been shot twice in the chest with jogger’s nipple!
    6. Socks make a difference. Think your shoes are rubbing? It might be that you need wicking, seamless socks.
    7. Wear fitted, breathable clothing, not baggy cotton. Even if you’re overweight, you’ll look slimmer in Lycra and it won’t hold sweat. Plus chafing is NOT a good look!
    8. You will get aches and pains – most aren’t worrying. The most common are pains along the front of the shins (shin splints) and aching knees. Rest, ice, take ibuprofen and start again easily when you’re ready. MOST of the time the pains are due to doing something your body isn’t used to. Avoid making exaggerated heel landings to avoid the worst of beginner’s shin splints.
    9. It’s much safer than you think. A lot of women suddenly feel like they’ll be targeted if out running. If you stick to the same streets and same time of day you feel safe walking down, you’ll be fine. But DO tell someone where you’re going and how long you’ll be, and take a phone if you’re out for a long one.
    10. Beware the “toxic 10 minutes”. When you build up to running over 10 minutes at a time, that first 10 minutes will feel like living hell. It gets better! Your body moves on to a different energy release process after this time and you will get second wind soon after, I promise!
    11. You can compete with world-class athletes. Many mass-participation events from charity 5ks through marathons and triathlons you can find yourself next to world champions and celebrities. What a boost!
    12. If you’re a gym bunny start out on the treadmill, but get outside as soon and as often as you can. Your iPod can only distract you so much. Get outside to see and feel the seasons change and nature in its glory. Changing terrain will challenge your body in new ways.
    13. High-tech is great… It’s amazing seeing your progress through your heart-rate monitor, GPS, phone apps like CardioTrainer that track your distance and calories etc. while distracting yourself with boosting tunes on your MP3 player.
    14. Low-tech is great… Once in a while ditch EVERYTHING – even your watch – and just run. It feels great!
    15. Carry water if you’re going out for more than 40 minutes or if it’s very hot. There are some great ring-shaped hand-held bottles and water belts you can carry all your other accoutrements in too.
    16. Don’t drink back your calories. You do not need sports drinks, gels, protein shakes or recovery drinks if you’re out for an hour or less.
    17. You can race. As soon as you can get out there for half an hour, enter a beginner-friendly 5K. It’s amazing motivation.
    18. You won’t be last. There might be 200 or 40,000 people in your race, what are the chances of you being the slowest? Even if you are, so what? It’s the only other “place” after first, second and third! You got round which is more than 99% of the population did that morning!
    19. Learn to run alone and with buddies. Friends can push you to go that bit faster and further. On the other hand they might hold you back if your goals are different. Mix and match.
    20. Don’t neglect other exercises. Cross training will keep you toned and injury free. Do upper-body and core exercises to balance yourself out. Do squats, lunges and balancing exercises to prevent lower-body injuries.

My final bit of advice is YOU ARE A RUNNER the minute you set foot outdoors and go faster than a walk. Forget all the stuff about jogging, or how fast you have to be, just do it. Have fun out there!

Berry x
    Thank you so much for posting this! I just started running 2 weeks ago and my very first 5k is this coming memorial day!:smile:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I just started attempting to run so this is very timely! Thank you!
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Good post! Motivating!
  • Joy78
    Joy78 Posts: 16
    Options
    Love this! Thanks for posting it!
  • dennypup
    dennypup Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Ive got my personally fitted NIKE running shoes but im not yet ready to release my lycra clad form on the world yet, certainly not on a saturday morning, the police around portsmouth are very hot on that sort of thing!!!

ROFL!!! Now you're just being modest! I'm sure you'd cut quite a figure in spandex!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Good post. I've always HATED running... would rather swim 5 miles than run 5 miles any day (and I'm not just saying that). However, I started walk/runs on the treadmill a few weeks ago about twice a week. I hopped on the treadmill this past Sunday, walked for the first 1/2 mile and started on my 1 mile run before walking again...

...to my surprise, I was breazing through it! After that first 1/2 mile, I did a full 2 1/2 miles running after that, then walked another half mile and killed it running for the last 1/2 mile. I'm still only doing it twice a week so I can get my swimming and elliptical in, but the tolerance one builds up is so true!
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This is great- I'm running my first 5K in June and even though I know all of this, it's always nice to be reminded that you're on the right track!
  • iamalexa
    iamalexa Posts: 53
    Options
    This is great!:)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm halfway through c210k and am LOVING it. I already noticed the 10 minute thing. It takes a few good intervals before I feel like I'm warmed up.
  • chantalbennett
    chantalbennett Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this :) Great advice!
  • teetees40
    teetees40 Posts: 30
    Options
    Berry, you seriously have NO idea what this post meant to me. I have been working on running....and have felt discouraged lately. I am getting ready to post something pretty inspiring in a few minutes. The person that is helping me to building up to running 2+ miles - is a good friend of mine that has been a cross country coach, track coach, bike racer and runner his entire life - and is now quadrapalegic. SO, between him, my amazing and beautiful daughter, and a great support system on here like you, I'm sure to succeed at this! Thank you so much again for sharing. (((HUGS))) :flowerforyou:
  • taranmisty
    taranmisty Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That was awesome!! I trained last year for my first half marathon and literally came in 234th out of 234 finishers. But i was proud to have finished at all since that was my goal. This year I have done a couple of 5 k and have one set up each month until a 10K in October. I don't have the heart to do another half this year....but NEXT year i will turn 40 and my goal is to do a half marathon in 2012 that beats the time of my first one last year. All of your advice was very helpful. I will print it and review it often. Thanks for sharing!!!
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Wow, I loved this post. TY so much!

Best,

Debbie