How much money do you eat a day?

Options
I just got back from the store with my week's worth of food and was wondering if the $60 was a lot, so I thought I'd ask around and maybe see what other people had to say. If I round up to account for some lunches I already had at home, I'm eating roughly $9 a day. That seems like a lot for me, but it's mainly because I'm a student and don't make very much money. Obviously any replies will similarly be high/low depending on your own circumstances, but I guess I'm just curious now that I'm paying more attention to what I'm spending my money on.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    My husband and I spend about $300 a week. Some of this will be spent in stuff that will last longer than a week,or that isn't food, but not a lot.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    My husband and I spend about $300 a week. Some of this will be spent in stuff that will last longer than a week,or that isn't food, but not a lot.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,827 Member
    Options
    I wish I could eat within $9 per day, especially with eating out often! (Grocery store prices/food costs have increased substantially this past year).
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I think my husband and I spend anywhere between $90 and $150 a week for the two of us.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,827 Member
    Options
    I wish I could eat within $9 per day, especially with eating out often! (Grocery store prices/food costs have increased substantially this past year).
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    When I was a student I did my week's food shopping for £20 - Google tells me that's about $30. However once I started working I spent more like £35 a week. I moved back home last summer and my family of 3, occasionally 4 adults and a teenager spend about £130 a week - $190. It could probably be less, but my dad is the fussiest eater I've ever met, my mum is veggie, and my brother can destroy 3,000 calories if left alone in the house for 2 hours.

I guess that means we eat about £32.50 each a week = £4.64 a day = $6.80 a day.
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Where are you from that groceries cost $300 a week for two people? That seems extraordinarily high to me.

I probably spend about $150 every 2 weeks for our family of 4. I think I spend even less now that I'm tracking on MFP bc I don't make meals that require as many ingredients.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I spend around $150-$200 on groceries per week to cover myself, my 10 year old daughter, and her two feline bottomless pits. That includes all food items, personal care, cleaning, pet care etc. Some weeks are higher than others as I tend to buy pantry items and meat in bulk, so one week might be as high as $300+, but the next week may only be around $100. In addition, my daughter gets one fast food meal a week, which is usually around $5, and I'm in a coffee group at work that costs me about $25 a week.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I probably eat less than average, because I eat the same thing twice daily and one normal meal. For breakfast and lunch I eat Futurelife smartfood. It's a balanced cereal with good ratios of fat, carbs and protein, and fortified with vitamins minerals and aminos that can be eaten as a meal replacement. Sounds boring I know, but it's kind of like oats. It's a blank canvas for flavor so I experiment a lot.

Makes a calorie deficit effortless. ;)
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »
    I just got back from the store with my week's worth of food and was wondering if the $60 was a lot, so I thought I'd ask around and maybe see what other people had to say. If I round up to account for some lunches I already had at home, I'm eating roughly $9 a day. That seems like a lot for me, but it's mainly because I'm a student and don't make very much money. Obviously any replies will similarly be high/low depending on your own circumstances, but I guess I'm just curious now that I'm paying more attention to what I'm spending my money on.

Husband, me and 2.5 yo usually consume about $250wk on average, including lunch purchases. I live in a very expensive part of the US though, so that might be exaggerated.
  • aruakise
    aruakise Posts: 1
    Options
    I tend to buy food when I need it, on an almost daily basis instead of weekly, but an average day's worth of food costs around £3 ($5-ish). Hooray for living off frozen and tinned food! :tongue:
  • Doosz
    Doosz Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm a student too and I only spend like 20 euro's (around 21/22 dollars) on food a week.. some weeks it's a little more and some a little less.. And that includes breakfast/lunch/dinner and snacks..
    (But I'm just a weirdo that would rather have new shoes than food, haha :blush: )
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    My husband and I usually spend about $120-$150 a week on groceries for the two of us. When my daughter is home from college we spend a little more, but not much. She doesn't eat a lot, LOL.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    knt217 wrote: »
    Where are you from that groceries cost $300 a week for two people? That seems extraordinarily high to me.

I probably spend about $150 every 2 weeks for our family of 4. I think I spend even less now that I'm tracking on MFP bc I don't make meals that require as many ingredients.

We eat a lot and buy pretty much all organic...we could eat for a lot less but would eat less fresh produce and less organic and choose different cuts and types of meat.

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Normally about $70-80 for our vegan family of 5. It has been increasing as the kids grow. We are fortunate to have a really nice, well stocked Aldi close by. I do the bulk of my shopping there and only venture to the health food store for the 'weird vegan things' that Aldi doesn't carry.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Every 3 or so weeks I end up spending ~$50-$60 to restock on food that lasts a month-ish. Week-to-week it's been more like $15-$20.

So for me it's something like $4/day, grocery-wise. I try to only go out for food 1-2 times per week at the very most.

~Lyssa
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    180.00 per week for my husband and I (not including non food items) we rarely eat out at restaurants.
  • kcrkcs
    kcrkcs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For hubs and I between $60-$150 per week. Variance happens because of meat and wine!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am spending about $75 a week on food, including the additional things you only buy occasionally like a new bottle of oil.