Coconut Oil...what is magic about it?

Options
I make an extensive usage of olive oil and more than 10-12 people have told em to switch to coconut oil telling me they will thank me later. They even said to use it on hair and skin?? What is the deal with this oil?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Google it, you will find lots of info.

But it is great as a moisturiser and hair conditioner.

About once a week, I put in hair before bed. In the morning, I shampoo only. Hair is always soft and shiny.

As a moisturiser I don't need too much.

For cooking, it has a high smoke/burn threshold. So if you need a hot hot oil for cooking..it's great.

For cooking, I don't like the taste.

As to the rest of the benefits...you will see lots of nays and yeas...do what works for you.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's got a higher burn point than olive oil so great for frying (still need the olive oil for the steak though). And it is great for hair and skin, I wouldn't say it's magic though - just a different oil.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Coconut oil has more saturated fat. B)
    Coconut oil has a slightly higher smoke point (more stable) so it is good to cook with.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.html
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    it's not magic. I personally dont like cooking with it.

But it does do wonders for hair and skin and nails. :)
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have actually done some research and 3 out of 4 medical articles still promote olive oil over coconut oil for cooking.. since the amount of saturated fat in coconut is too high... and all the marketing about good saturated fat in coconut has yet to be fully proven....
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I have actually done some research and 3 out of 4 medical articles still promote olive oil over coconut oil for cooking.. since the amount of saturated fat in coconut is too high... and all the marketing about good saturated fat in coconut has yet to be fully proven....

plus it leaves an ever so slightly itty bitty bit of coconut flavor
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

how and how often do you apply it on skin? I actually have dry skin and that is interesting... does it work very well on it?

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    It's magic for the hair. Maaagic.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

how and how often do you apply it on skin? I actually have dry skin and that is interesting... does it work very well on it?

that depends on where you want to use it. I love to use it on my legs especially after shaving and use it every other day. Helps with razor burn/bumps and keeps my legs silky soft. I have KP (chicken skin) and eczema and it really helps keep my skin plump/hydrated/and not flaky. Reduces redness BIG time!

It's also great on your face because it's anti inflammatory.
    The way i use it is I splash warm water on my face, apply a small amount to my hands, rub it in little circles all over my face for 2-3 minutes (obviously you aren't a woman but this also removes makeup just have to point that out) and then i turn the water up to hot and soak a washcloth. I steam my face with the washcloth for a few seconds and wipe and the remaining coconut oil which hasnt absorbed into the skin comes right off.

It leaves your skin feeling clean, fresh, and NOT greasy.

I also have super long hair (past my waist) and coconut oil is great for dry hair and scalp. Its' one of the only oils with particles small enough to penetrate the shaft of your hair instead of just "coat" it like most conditioners do. I only use it about 1 time a week on the hair though.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

I use it for dry skin, it's wonderful. Just scoop some out, it's solid at room temperature, then just apply to your skin like lotion. It smells like a coconut cookie, which I love, and absorbs quickly. It also doesn't burn like some lotions do if you have really cracked skin
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    It's a preference thing, but if I'm making cakes or muffins it tastes way better than using vegetable oil. Depending on the recipe I'll switch it up for olive oil when cooking, like coconut lime shrimp. It's great on skin. This was the first winter i made it through without dry patches. Otherwise, no more magical than any other latest and greatest trendy thing.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Confusing, isn't it. Personally I never use evoo for high heat and look for a more stable oil, like a saturated fat.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Huh - interesting.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Nothing /end
  • GalactusEmpire
    GalactusEmpire Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I used to use olive oil only. But I noticed that it didn't like my burner on high. I got tired of burning my oil. I switched to coconut oil on the suggestion from a friend. I haven't turned back. I get the kind that has 0 coconut flavor and is food grade. While I am not sure if it makes a different. I do know that you can get coconut oil in the food section, or in the "vitamin" section of my grocery store.

I don't like it for eggs, but I like it for everything else that requires oil while cooking.
  • kelvincornish1
    Options
    Have switched from olive oil to coconut oil for frying and baking my own cakes. Still use olive oil in the oven and to put over pan-fried steaks or fish. Not sure about the benefits on the hair because I haven't got much of that left!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I've been interested in coconut oil for my hair (I have long hair). The coconut oil I have is extra virgin so it's pretty solid at room temperature and breaks into chunks. My question is: how do I melt it efficiently so it does not solidify again before I'm able to apply it, but at the same time won't be dripping from my hair all over my clothes?
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    People need to stop looking at food as being more than it is, it isn't a magic thing that will do something amazing. It's just another thing that you either like or you don't, its health benefits are realised only as part of a controlled diet. If you like it, it's great. If you don't, it's not. Personally, I love it for cooking and putting in oil.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    I forgot, you can use it as deodorant too - didn't believe that one till I tried it myself.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    I've been interested in coconut oil for my hair (I have long hair). The coconut oil I have is extra virgin so it's pretty solid at room temperature and breaks into chunks. My question is: how do I melt it efficiently so it does not solidify again before I'm able to apply it, but at the same time won't be dripping from my hair all over my clothes?

Microwave it for 10/20 seconds - I prefer almond oil for my hair though.