best breakfast?

Options
Catplumb
Catplumb Posts: 33 Member
Whats the best breakfast to have to keep me fuller longer and stop the craving for nibbles before lunch?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bacon, eggs, sausage, beans, toast, mushrooms, tomatoes. Big mug of tea.
    As it's Sunday a Bucks Fizz.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. It will take a bit of experimentation probably. I find that oatmeal with dried fruit, chia seeds, ground flax and protein powder works for me, but that's me.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My usual breakfast is oatmeal with some cinnamon, ginger and a big scoop of protein powder. Keeps me full until lunchtime easily.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    There is no "best". Eat what works for you. Or don't eat... If that's what works for you.
  • thegaragegirl01
    thegaragegirl01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My two easy and quick go-to meals when I'm short on time or am lacking a level of desire to spend any time in the kitchen are:

Fruit smoothie - mixed berries with some lemon juice, ice, whey protein powder and some water all smushed up in my blender. (Keeps me full from 8am to about 11am which is when I have lunch at work)

And

A ham, cheese and egg white omlette with wholemeal or multigrain toast. I had that for breakfast today at 8:30 and I didn't feel like having lunch until half past one, so they worked for me..

A few carbs, some fats and plenty of protein. Works well for me, but Yeah, to each their own. You'll just have to experiment with recipes or ideas that people give you and see which ones work for you :-)
  • Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I find porridge fills me up or eggs and toast.
  • kerrifair
    kerrifair Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I splurged on a vitamix recently so I make a GIANT smoothie every morning (about 36 oz). I try to include equal amounts of raw fruits and veggies since the veggies are lower in calories... a tablespoon of flax, chia, or protein powder... I sip it all morning till lunch. Today I am having banana, carrot, pineapple, orange, spinach, a scoop of vanilla protein powder, and 1/2 cup cashew milk (25 cal for Silk Unsweetened). Then I add water till it is thinned out to my liking. I have so much energy now that I am down to one cup of coffee (used to have 2.5-3). Good luck!
  • s2Mango
    s2Mango Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I find that eggs and toast will fill me up pretty well. Oatmeal with fruit seems to do alright, though personally not as well as the eggs and toast.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    We went to Nom Wah Tea Garden for a dim sum breakfast yesterday in Philly.
    I'm still not hungry this morning, lol!
    Best dim sum I ever had!
    There's one in NYC Chinatown too if any one is interested.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Personal preference.

Today I had porridge made with...

50g jumbo oats and rye flakes
    250ml milk
    25g choc peanut cookie whey
    Reece's peanut butter cup
  • chrissa4
    chrissa4 Posts: 1
    Options
    I perfected a gluten-free recipe for pancakes.
    Whisk 2 eggs, 1 medium-sized banana, 2 tsp of pure Vanilla extract and 2 tbsp of ground flax seed. Cook the same as you would for a regular mix pancake. Makes 2 servings.
    Nutritious, and keeps full until my mid-morning snack.
  • julez170
    julez170 Posts: 7
    Options
    There is no "best". Eat what works for you. Or don't eat... If that's what works for you.

• julez170
    julez170 Posts: 7
    Options
    I agree with eating what works for you. For me I never miss breakfast! I eat a protein based meal. Then follow it with a snack mid morning. The snacks are critical to not overeating or making bad choices
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    chrissa4 wrote: »
    I perfected a gluten-free recipe for pancakes.
    Whisk 2 eggs, 1 medium-sized banana, 2 tsp of pure Vanilla extract and 2 tbsp of ground flax seed. Cook the same as you would for a regular mix pancake. Makes 2 servings.
    Nutritious, and keeps full until my mid-morning snack.
    This just became my Sunday brunch! I threw in vanilla and a touch of Splenda, and topped with vanilla Greek yogurt. Tastes like a treat!

ETA: I made 1 big serving, lol.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Good old oatmeal mixed with some fruit or a little peanut butter does a great job at keeping me full. 3-4 scrambled eggs and a slice of whole grain toast also works. Breakfast is one of my biggest meals of the day and it's one of the best times to suck down some carbs since you'll use them throughout the day. :). Try and stay away from sugary instant oatmeal of course....
  • erinmccormick00
    erinmccormick00 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    julez170 wrote: »
    I agree with eating what works for you. For me I never miss breakfast! I eat a protein based meal. Then follow it with a snack mid morning. The snacks are critical to not overeating or making bad choices

I agree. Snacks are just as important as the meals. I usually have oatmeal with fruit for breakfast and a few hours later have a snack. Cottage chees and fruit or sometimes just an apple or banana.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Personal preference.

Today I had porridge made with...

50g jumbo oats and rye flakes
    250ml milk
    25g choc peanut cookie whey
    Reece's peanut butter cup

oh dang, this sounds good!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    My favourite breakfast is avocado, bacon and eggs - but that's reserved for weekends when I have more time. In the week I eat a mixture of granola & Greek yogurt, cereal & milk, PB on toast, protein bars, porridge with dried fruit/nuts, breakfast biscuits, and always fruit (usually a banana) and coffee.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

This. I normally break my daily fast at around 11am because that's what works best for me. On the other hand one of my kids has to eat something as soon as he wakes up at 6am. When I do break fast I usually do something higher protein, which keeps me feeling full for a long time.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Different people get different feelings for foods. For me, high fat & protein (bacon, eggs) is great for me in the morning. Oatmeal doesn't do anything. I feel hungry really soon afterwards. Experiment!

Also, don't be afraid to go for non-traditional breakfasts. Sometimes if I have plenty of leftovers to go through, I'll just have dinner-ish foods for breakfast.