How much money do you eat a day?

Options

Replies

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Family of 5 here and our weekly grocery budget is $90/$360 a month. That includes packed school lunches. It does not however include my husband's lunches (he eats out on the road), or family eating out usually 1-2 times a week (pizza etc). It does include non-food stuff like tp, cleaning supplies etc.

eta: I do get all the free eggs I want from a relative (from happy, free range chickens). Right now I have 6 dozen eggs in my fridge :) And we also get local, grass fed beef for free from this relative as well, in limited quantities (oh how I adore him lol). This month he gave us 4lbs of ground beef and 2 large roasts that we've been using throughout the month.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I eat for the day. However, some things that I eat on a regular basis and the cost per meal:

Very Basic Cheeseburger - $2.07
    Oatmeal with brown sugar & cinnamon - $0.44
    Protein Shake with Almond Milk - $1.12

I think on average we spend close to $125-150 per week on food. That's for a family of 4 though.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Normally about $70-80 for our vegan family of 5. It has been increasing as the kids grow. We are fortunate to have a really nice, well stocked Aldi close by. I do the bulk of my shopping there and only venture to the health food store for the 'weird vegan things' that Aldi doesn't carry.

Love Aldi and it's my go to grocery store :p
  • TristanMacNessaCampbell
    Options
    I live on 30usd a month, my average daily food/money intake is 1-1.50 a day
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I usually spend $150 a week. I try and do crock pot meals. It seems cheaper.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I have a co-worker who doesn't believe that I typically spend $120-$150 a week. She says it's impossible and spends more than twice that.

I'm just shopping for my husband and me and she's shopping for herself, her 6'4" husband who does physical labor all day long, and her 3 active teenage boys, but that fact seems to escape her.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    2 adults, 3 kids, 1 baby on solids....$100-$125 a week
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    $70-100 a week for a family of three people and the pet food for three dogs, three cats a gerbil and a tortoise.

We could even streamline it a bit more if we tried. It requires more work though.
  • icecreamcakesandrunningshoes
    Options
    I spend around £60 (88usd) each week on food which is admittedly quite high for one person but sometimes they last for more than a week and some are bulk items. I really love my food, especially fresh fruits and meat, and don't have much in term of freezer. That and my need for desserts raised the amount I spend. Cakes and such here are really expensive.

Coincidentally my current 'project' right now is to considerably lower this amount but still retain my fruits, meats and especially desserts.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Maybe $4-$7 a day.
    I spend $100-$150 weekly on groceries for 2 adults and one teenage girl. We live in midwest USA. We all eat most of our meals prepared from home. Not all of the food will be eaten in one week though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    knt217 wrote: »
    Where are you from that groceries cost $300 a week for two people? That seems extraordinarily high to me.

I probably spend about $150 every 2 weeks for our family of 4. I think I spend even less now that I'm tracking on MFP bc I don't make meals that require as many ingredients.

I would think a lot would depend on your budget and what you are buying. If one was buying a lot of fresh produce (particularly more "exotic" items) and choice cuts of meat and doing organic, etc I could easily see spending $300 per week for a couple of people.

We spend $200 - $300 per week for a family of 4...my kids are still small so they don't eat a ton yet...it's mostly my wife and I.

When I was poor, I basically subsided on beans and rice and roasted a lot of whole chickens and ate a ton of cabbage and ate a lot of eggs.
  • Rocketqueeen
    Rocketqueeen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Oh man. I wish I could spend $9 a day. Living in NYC is ridiculously expensive. I spend at least 15 but a day. And groceries cost us about 150 or more per week. It seems the healthier I want to eat, the more expensive things are.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    My husband and I plus 2 dogs and a cat can get by on $200 in groceries and other essentials every 2 weeks. Sometimes more, sometimes less. We restock our meats once every month to month and a half.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    500 a month avg
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I live on 30usd a month, my average daily food/money intake is 1-1.50 a day

I don't know. That doesn't sound real at all. Unless you're starving yourself.
    Oh his profile page it says he has suffered ED's off and on since he was 8.
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Food is roughly £3 a day. $4.39 in dollars. Coffee on the other hand.... Eek!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    It used to be $75-80/week. Now that I have my middle child in the throngs of early puberty (so TWO eating machine children, ha!) and me in maintenance (which is approaching 2,200+ calories--WHOA), we spend ~$100-$120/week for a family of five (2 adults, 2 pubescent children, plus one preschooler).

Lots of Aldi/Walmart/ethnic market shopping to save big money. Learned how to be a frugal, wholesome food shopper years ago, when we were on hard times and had to make the food benefits (SNAP) last, while still making healthful/balanced food choices.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Groceries, about $6/day (CDN).

But I eat out in restaurants a lot. Including those, it would be more like $10-11/day. Even higher if you add in alcohol.

That's just for me as one person. I splurge on stuff I really enjoy, though, like fancy chocolate, olive oil, cheese, fresh fruits from the farmer's market, sushi, you name it. My calories are limited and I like to spend them in as tasty and satisfying a way as possible.
  • littled1986
    littled1986 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    For myself I spend about 60 on food per week. I just find a couple recipes I want to try and pick out my snacks so I'm just buying the few ingredients I don't already have at home.