Knee Scope

Options
I need some advice here my friends. I am still having issues w my knee that I hyperextended. My hip/butt is feeling good. My dr told me that if my knee isn't better by the end of May to call him and he may want to do a scope on it. I am still running and working out and everything. But there are times when I cant bend it or get down on my knees. I don't know what to do. I have signed up for my first half marathon in September. Do I call the dr now and go see him? Talk to my trainers? Could there be just be fluid on my knee? Any help would be appreciated. I finally got my knee calmed down after my 4 mile run from yesterday. Has anyone had a scope done? I just need to get healthy. Does anybody know how long recovery time is from a scope? I really don't want this done but I think I need to do something. I have Googled this and got some answers there but I just don't always trust the internet

Replies

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with the knee to have the scope done? Many scopes are done for different reasons? I had a torn meniscus and after waiting 5 years or so had the scope done. After I had it done I wondered why I waited so long to have it done and get some relief. They also cleaned up the knee that had bone spurs and arthritis in it too. I work in an office and took one week off. I didn't do any dog agility training for at least a month or more. At that time I was very overweight also.
    Since loosing weight back in 2012 and 2013 and keeping most of it off since my knee hadn't bothered me since early 2012 but this past week I started having bad pain with both knees even when sitting. I am trying to figure out if I need to call knee ortho dr or not or if it is just the weather. I haven't done anything differently besides getting a new pair of tennis shoes. I am going back to wearing the old shoes this week to see if that is it. I haven't done any workouts or power walking or biking since Wed afternoon of last week. Trying to take it easy and see if that helps. My right knee was found to be bone on bone in Feb of 2012 but was told I was too young (50) to have a knee replacement. A scope wouldn't help they said. Back then, I got a shot of cortisone and then a few weeks later the 3 set synvisk shots. It did help but only covers up the pain and not solve the problem
    I am now currently looking of going to a different knee ortho surgeon that does a MAKOPlasty knee partial replacement surgery. They do a ct of your knee and measure your knee parts that need replaced and custom make them, no generic small or med or large knee full replacement I don't know if I am a candidate or if my health insurance would cover it or not. I may try to hold off on seeing this knee ortho till July when my current health insurance calendar year starts again so if I need to pay the deductible it will be a good a full year vs. going now and then starting over on deductible in July 2015.
    I am tired of the pain and having to limit my activities. I quit training dog agility and miss it alot. The knee dr back in 2012 told me to stop doing it as it was making my knee worse.

Good luck!
  • fuzzball01
    fuzzball01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had hyperextended it a couple months back. I have had a cortisone shot. It seems like it really bothers it to bend it. I have just bought some new Brooks and I am going to try them on my run tomorrow. Something doesn't feel right at the top of my knee. It likes to pop a lot as well. My doc said he was good w me doing my normal workouts. No need to adjust anything. One day it will feel great and then the next I cant bend or kneel on it hardly. I am trying to get another injury on top of this one and its really taking a toll on me. Had an emotional breakdown while walking today. Not sure what to do. I hear ya on the pain and being limited on my activities. I just want to be better. I hope you get your knee feeling better.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Before treatment you need an accurate diagnosis and the scope is a big part of that.
    If running is aggravating it then would seriously consider having a break from running and doing something non-impact until you know what's going on.
    In my experience general Doctors compare very badly in diagnostic and treatment terms with a properly qualified sports Physio - personally if I was worried I would book an appointment for a second opinion.

As for getting over it...
    My procedure was slightly different, arthroscopic operation to tidy up a meniscus and laser debridement to clean up an old patella fracture.
    It was a total breeze, both on the day of the operation and recovery. Went back for a check up a week later and was doing single leg deep knee bends, lunges and jumps round the consultation room.

• fuzzball01
    fuzzball01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I did see a sports Physio for the hyperextension. He is the one who did the shot. He wanted me to give it to the end of May if it wasn't feeling better. Not sure if i want to wait that long. I read recovery time was like a week or 2 if all went well. So the scope would be a good thing? I know I need to get w my trainers before I plan the scope so we can adjust my workouts. This is so stressful