help im not losing anything

Options
I started on mfp two weeks ago and I dont seem to be losing any weight. Im counting every calorie I eat and mostly stay just below my daily calorie intake. Im not losing anything. What am I doing wrong

Replies

• joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You should make sure you share your diary so people can see what you are eating BUT its 99% that you are either tracking wrong (too little) or the system has overestimated your daily calorie intake.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary for public viewing for better responses. If you're not losing it's because you're not eating at a deficit. When you enter food into your diary are you putting in the exact weight or simply entering generic '1 banana' type entries? As I said, open up your diary and you'll get someone on here who can pinpoint where you're going wrong. Don't panic, it's likely something trivial which can easily be corrected.
  • Robinraang
    Robinraang Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's only been two weeks, some peoples body it takes longer to react to the change, just remember to precisely measure and log everything you eat and do a light exersise at least 3 or 4 times a week and sooner or later you will see a change. Just stick withit! good luck!
  • gibloseflab
    Options
    Most folks overstate their exercise and understate their caloric intake. Don't BS yourself.
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think MFP gives too many calories for exercises. Eg, it said I burned 660 Spinning for an hour. I need a heartrate monitor, I know I pushed it for 20 minutes but now sure about the rest of the hour.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    it has only been two weeks, it can talk three to four for your body to adapt and for you to starting showing a loss.

Do you have a food scale and weigh all your solid foods and as many liquids as possible?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    freechewy wrote: »
    I think MFP gives too many calories for exercises. Eg, it said I burned 660 Spinning for an hour. I need a heartrate monitor, I know I pushed it for 20 minutes but now sure about the rest of the hour.

it does and you should only eat back half of what it gives you for burns...
  • timesthree28
    timesthree28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im not weighing everything. Im just guessing most of the time so its probably that. How do I open up my diary for public viewing?
  • Kendall2006
    Kendall2006 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Go into your settings. You should be able to adjust the viewing there. Everyone on here is correct on what they stated. Plus don't be so hard on yourself. It takes time for your body to adjust. Your body is in shock when you start to reduce your regular food intake. Its being cautious and may store fat that makes you think you are not losing any weight. But by the 4th week it will adjust. Make sure you are not guessing what you are having but weigh it . Also I agree on the exercise calories. When I first signed on, I would search the web to calculate as I thought MFP calculations were off. Then I decided to go and buy myself a Polar FT4 HR watch with band. Much more accurate. Less guess work. If you need any help, we are here to help each other out in reaching our goals and then maintain it. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like to. We can always help each other out.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Im not weighing everything. Im just guessing most of the time so its probably that. How do I open up my diary for public viewing?

No guessing. You can't trust that you are even close to accurate. Better to weigh and measure everything. It isn't really too difficult once you get in the habit. :)

• ndj1979
    Options

Get a food scale and weigh everything ...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    At least at the start weighing and measuring everything is really important as what most people consider a serving is far larger, and when you estimate on size it is based on that skewed sense of portion size. Also, as stated, some people take time to get losing. If you started an exercise program it can result in water retention that will mask fat loss.

My suggestions, make sure you are measuring everything as accurately as you can. Make sure the database entries you are using are accurate. Take photos and measurements beyond just weight as they can often show changes that the scale will not. Finally, be patient.
  • Sunny_84
    Sunny_84 Posts: 1
    Options
    Food scale is a necessary evil. I'm goin off BF % and whether my pants and shirts feel and look better rather than actual weight (I'm sure the body fat % on the scale is poop mind)! Defo take photo's as the above post says,
    Take photos and measurements beyond just weight as they can often show changes that the scale will not. Finally, be patient.

That message to a "T".

• torsrudr
    torsrudr Posts: 6
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Calories is only part of the equation, unfortunately. Calories matter for weight, but WHAT your calories consist of matters much more because of how different foods affect your body and its processes. Make sure you are eating a balanced diet with whole foods and a balanced amount of protein, carbs and fat. An easy way to balance is to start with a palm-sized portion of protein, fill the rest of your plate with veggies, a thumb-sized portion of fat and no more than 1 cup of carb-y foods, depending on how rigorous your exercise regimen is. If you're hungry between meals, eat a balanced snack (veggies & hummus, fruit & nuts, etc.)

I track calories only to ensure I'm eating enough. Otherwise, balanced meals have kept the fat off for 3 years.
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    These are all good points! I'm just a few weeks ahead of you, and I figured out early on that a lot of people here just don't eat their "exercise calories." In other words, if your baseline is 1350 and you get MFP credit for 400 calories they think you lost from exercise, just stick to the original 1350 and you'll start noticing a difference.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Robinraang wrote: »
    It's only been two weeks, some peoples body it takes longer to react to the change, just remember to precisely measure and log everything you eat and do a light exersise at least 3 or 4 times a week and sooner or later you will see a change. Just stick withit! good luck!
    It took me four weeks to finally see my weight go down.