I've plateaued big time!

Options
I started getting healthy about a year ago, and I've lost 45 pounds so far. I do kind of a low carb thing, running is my main form of exercise now and I circuit train occasionally. I'd like to think I eat well but I honestly can't tell if I'm eating too much or not enough? Recently I started running more and now I get just HANGRY which never happened before. I can't get toned, I'm just sort of saggy in the tummy/butt. Is that normal? Do I need to be more patient? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Diary is open

Replies

• lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's private
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you lost weight?

What are you doing as far as strength training?
  • mdburleigh
    mdburleigh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just changed the settings, maybe it hasn't updated yet? I try to do about 25 minutes of strength training every few days, but I definitely run more than I strength train. I started losing weight Feb of 2014, but haven't lost any weight in what feels like months. I actually gained back 2 or so pounds.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    mdburleigh wrote: »
    I just changed the settings, maybe it hasn't updated yet? I try to do about 25 minutes of strength training every few days, but I definitely run more than I strength train. I started losing weight Feb of 2014, but haven't lost any weight in what feels like months. I actually gained back 2 or so pounds.

Yeah, you're going to have to watch your logging/eating back your calorie burns from running. You look slim so if you're trying to lose .5 lbs a week, the margin for error is extremely small.

As far as body comp goes, tone down the running and amp up the strength training if you want.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I'd like to think I eat well but I honestly can't tell if I'm eating too much or not enough?

Why not? How long have you 'plateaued'?
  • mdburleigh
    Options
    It's been a couple months since I felt any improvement. I tried eating a little more because I was running more, and I know a scale doesn't tell you everything but I don't even feel any changes happening. My clothes fit the same, and my energy levels are really low.
  • mdburleigh
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    I'd like to think I eat well but I honestly can't tell if I'm eating too much or not enough?

Why not? How long have you 'plateaued'?

I don't know if I need to quote you for you to get notifications, I'm new at the community thing ;)
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Switch up your workouts: if you keep doing the same running at the same intensity your body's going to adapt to it and will burn less calories than it used to. Consider adding in circuits, interval training, plyos, etc. to your cardio routine. I would also think about upping your strength training in order to "tone up." What kind of strength training are you currently doing?
  • mdburleigh
    Options
    Switch up your workouts: if you keep doing the same running at the same intensity your body's going to adapt to it and will burn less calories than it used to. Consider adding in circuits, interval training, plyos, etc. to your cardio routine. I would also think about upping your strength training in order to "tone up." What kind of strength training are you currently doing?

I do intervals with squats/planks/lunges etc with weights thrown in. I actually used to do it a lot more and not run at all but I found I really enjoy running quite a bit. I guess balance is the key. Thank you!
  • sazzyanne14
    sazzyanne14 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just doing cardio isn't going to help you to achieve what you've stated you want. you need to start putting more weights training in there to achieve that =)
  • Kendall2006
    Kendall2006 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Switching up your workouts is a plus. Most times running alone will not do what you want your body to do. On average, what percent are your running and what percent are you strength training? You want to sometimes even it out or not so much. Example: I strength train 6 days a week. But out of those 6 days I include cardio at least 3-4 times. And its not the same type of cardio either or the strength training. I keep my body guessing. Cause if I do the same thing over and over, I get bored. Just a thought.
  • mdburleigh
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I am definitely going to add more strength training to my regime.