Fat Acceptance and HAES

Options
2»

Replies

• fitmissbliss
    fitmissbliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think people should be able to live in and rock whatever body they want to. This incessant need that thin or self identified "healthy" people feel to shame the world of fat people into seeing their "sin" is so lost on me. Who the crap cares? Do you feel the need to approach any smoker and remind them smoking is dangerous? What about people who don't wear seatbelts? What about the last acceptable addiction...alcohol? There is no amount of alcohol that is "healthy" per se...yet, most of us consume it...and many consume WAY too much of it and we laugh it off as our crazy girlfriend who just loves her vino.
    If you don't like obesity, don't be obese. If you don't like fast food, don't eat it. But, this bizarre need to make the rest of the world like ourselves isn't ok. I have lost 70 ish pounds ( 40 ish on MFP). I am "thick" as can be...and have super huge thighs, hips and butt...big boobs and a small waist. No one looks at me and thinks "thin." They likely never will. But you know what? I can out run, out lift and out train almost all of my "thin" friends. I on average eat 1000+ calories per day less than they do, WAY less sugar, WAY less alcohol and I generally live a life that in comparison to theirs would be seen as "healthy." Yet, out of my friends...I'm the "fat" one. I'm the one who the crowd of bro science dorks would say is fat...while my friend who pounds McDonalds twice per day, DAILY...drinks her weight in Starbucks mocha's and consumes 5 bottles of wine per week, minimum weighs 125 lbs and wears a size 2. Oh and also...she couldn't run 1/4 of a mile to save her life. So, to assume that someone is or isn't healthy based on their size is foolish, IMO. Of course there are extremes to anything...but, the average person that many in America would say is "fat" might be fitter and better trained than you...and their standard health markers-blood sugar, blood pressure, resting heart rate, etc...might be just healthy as can be.

I personally have next to no desire to be "thin" and I love the way my hips and thighs and breasts fill out my clothes. If that isn't your thing...cool. Don't be curvy or thick or fat or whatever you want to call people who look like me. You do you, let others do them...and we can all try and be the best people we can be. You know?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I tnink the movement has some really positive sides. I don't think fat people should put their lives on hold until they reach a normal bmi. The movement encourages women and men to start enjoying life now. Sounds good to me.

And I don't think we should discriminate against fat people looking for work, or a place to rent.

But there are health risks to obesity, and the community tends to deny or gloss over that. So while fatness isnt a moral failing, it is a health risk. If you are willing to take those risks, that's up to you.
  • Ericdanielkwong
    Ericdanielkwong Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    People should definitely be able to do whatever they want! If it makes them happy, than i'm all for it! They can find a million reasons to justify their weight.... But facts are facts, and living at a healthier weight will make you live longer.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If that's what they are happy with, that is their business.

The only thing that I have a real problem with is when the more extreme HAES people get their pitchforks out when they see that someone does want to lose weight.
  • jessicadb2
    jessicadb2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I tnink the movement has some really positive sides. I don't think fat people should put their lives on hold until they reach a normal bmi. The movement encourages women and men to start enjoying life now. Sounds good to me.

And I don't think we should discriminate against fat people looking for work, or a place to rent.

But there are health risks to obesity, and the community tends to deny or gloss over that. So while fatness isnt a moral failing, it is a health risk. If you are willing to take those risks, that's up to you.

I agree. I put my life on hold and it only made my obesity worse over time. The sad thing is I have always wanted to be thin and hated that I had to struggle with my weight. It is so hard to have a serious weight problem and painful. It seems like it is only on a public level and with guys that weight is really serious, in normal life you are okay if you are normal weight to overweight but not obese and have very few health complications. My problem with the view of weight today is that it is so narrow. Just a few years ago the BMI range went up to 27.5 now it is 25 max, when thin people die of heart attacks and cancer too. My husbands grandma died in her 80s and she was thin. My grandma died at the same age and she was a little cubby. I believe television, the media and the general public tell us we need to look a certain way. I mean most celebrities have to be at the low range to underweight on the BMI scale. If they get anywhere near the top of the healthy weight range they are considered fat. Models generally are around 100-130 lbs. I strongly suspect the healthy weight range is wider reaching than that. I think I felt my best when I was 170 lbs and exercising every day. That is about 10 lbs over my healthy BMI range and a size 14. That is totally acceptable to me. People accepted me most when I was 150 lbs and a size 10 in 7th grade. I think you need to please yourself and your spouse or significant other and not the general public's weight standard or vision of how you should look.
  • jessicadb2
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Especially here it seems like many people put way to much pressure on themselves to be physically perfect and it is kind of sad. I would rather be happy with my size and capable of doing all I want to do instead of just trying to fit a vision of physical perfection that matters little in real life. I notice that some celebrities are actually happier and prettier a little on the heavier side but they will starve themselves and work themselves to the bone to be a size 0 just to please the public even though it makes them unhappy. It is ridiculous.

Just wanted to add. I am working to lose a lot of weight, but I also want to maintain a weight that feels good to me. It does really stink to be seriously overweight. I am hot all the time. I am afraid of doing anything in public for fear of being winded and being embarrassed. I feel like I look super ugly. I am missing out on life. Serious obesity steals my life from me. I feel like I am 40 or 50 when I am only 30.
  • SubZeroDude
    SubZeroDude Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    These movements are for people that absolutely need a community to stand up for them, instead of standing up for themselves, like cliques in middle and high school.

I like when these groups try to shame men for not liking "thick" women. What if Freud's theory of the Oedipus complex is true, and a guy's mom was thin? FEMINISTS HATE MOTHERS!
  • jessicadb2
    Options
    ZooksBrah wrote: »
    These movements are for people that absolutely need a community to stand up for them, instead of standing up for themselves, like cliques in middle and high school.

I like when these groups try to shame men for not liking "thick" women. What if Freud's theory of the Oedipus complex is true, and a guy's mom was thin? FEMINISTS HATE MOTHERS!

Well, a real man loves you for you and not because of how you look. They will stay with you through any and all life situations. ( Women as well.) That is what a relationship should be. It is hard if your spouse has health problems and I know I put my husband through a lot because of my weight. I hate that, but I do want to change. I notice many guys have beautiful wives who aren't the least bit thick and they still have affairs on them. Why is that?
  • apanda4
    apanda4 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    As someone who has always struggled with being overweight and even loving my body the way it is, I am all for body acceptance and people loving themselves the way that they are. You have to have confidence in yourself to be able to do certain things in life and if you don't have that, then it can really make things difficult.

I never had a lot of confidence because of my weight and it was so hard for me to put myself out there. It has taken me so many years to accept my body the way it is.

But that being said, I have my own reasons for wanting to lose weight. Everyone has their own reasons. Will I be annoyed with myself if I don't lose weight. No - not really. I will be disappointed at the moment. But in the long run, if I don't lose the weight that is the way that it is. As long as I know in myself that I have tried, then that is all I can do.

Why should it be for anyone else to tell someone that they shouldn't accept their body for the way it is? And why should we be made to feel like we are a disgrace? I was told that even though I was overweight, I was healthy. So why should I be made to feel like I am nothing but a big lazy slob - which is what some people see me as!!
  • tmc1358
    tmc1358 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    From the sound of it Fat Acceptance doesn't make any sense. What if I went to the gym tomorrow and the trainer said "Don't bother lifting today; we've converted to Sedentary Acceptance."
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OH BOY THIS THREAD IS BACK
    i hope it takes off this time.

i'd make some popcorn, but who would i be kidding? i mean, since i've successfully come down so far from my "natural size", i'm clearly anorexic.