Help with Calorie Allowances, TDEE and eating back exercise Calories

Options
I've had a look via 'search' option before creating this thread, apologies if it's something that's been questioned a dozen times, but I couldn't find the answer.

I used to call myself sedentary, because I would drive to work, drive home, and do nothing other than cleaning. I've now joined a gym, and go at least 3 times a week to do things like circuit training, spinning, swimming etc for an hour. I also bought a bike, so I cycle about 3.5 miles at the very least once a week, and my ultimate goal is to incorporate heavy weights - although I must learn how to properly use them.

My TDEE worked out at 1980. Reading the Road Map guide, it says to deduct about 20% from this figure. So I've set MFP to 1580.

Now the (probably) annoying question - but I just can't get my head around it! Do I eat back exercise calories because I have already deducted the 20%, OR do I eat up to 1580 daily and not eat back exercise calories?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If when you worked out your TDEE you included your exercise (so put it at lightly active or moderately active or whatever), you don't eat your exercise calories back because it's included in your activity level. If you put your activity level to whatever it would be without the gym and the cycling, then you eat your exercise calories back.
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    TDEE allready has your activity calculated in it. TDEE is the amount calories your body burns in a 24 hour period, sleeping, working, exercising, playing and even digesting food. So you don't eat them back.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you are following TDEE no you DO NOT eat exercise calories back. So you eat 1580 everyday regardless of exercise but...make sure you recalculate your TDEE when you lose weight or find you are losing quickly or too slowly.

TDEE=TOTAL Daily Energy Expenditure....
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    MFP method - exercise not included in your calculations so you should eat them back.

TDEE method - exercise is is already included in your calculations so you don't eat them back or you would be double counting.

• kahmed2014
    kahmed2014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you always need to eat your exercise cals? So I use mfp method and says 1350. I burn 200 cals when exercising 30 mins hiit training 6 days a week but I generally eat about 1400 cals a day. Is that ok?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    kahmed2014 wrote: »
    Do you always need to eat your exercise cals? So I use mfp method and says 1350. I burn 200 cals when exercising 30 mins hiit training 6 days a week but I generally eat about 1400 cals a day. Is that ok?

It's fine as long as you feel good physically and not feeling lethargic etc.

It puts you at a net of 1200 calories which is the lowest you should go...why so low would be my question.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    kahmed2014 wrote: »

It's recommended, but not everyone does. They're meant to keep your body fueled and keep you in a sufficient deficit (you'll see people who eat 1200 and exercise 600-700 without eating them back...that's bad). If you feel good with what you're doing, keep it up, but you shouldn't eat 100% of them back, as calories burned can often be overestimated.
  • MrsGraves1987
    MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank you all.

Ok so with exercise set as lightly active my TDEE is 1980. As I have deducted 20% of this, so set MFP at 1580 - I SHOULD be counting my exercise cals and eating them back (or at least I can if I need to). Just to clarify!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    TDEE already includes it. If you're using the MFP method, you would include exercise separately.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Thank you all.

Ok so with exercise set as lightly active my TDEE is 1980. As I have deducted 20% of this, so set MFP at 1580 - I SHOULD be counting my exercise cals and eating them back (or at least I can if I need to). Just to clarify!

No. If you're following TDEE, you don't eat the calories back.
  • MrsGraves1987
    edited April 2015
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Thank you all.

Oh dear I am confused! I am sorry if I am misunderstanding.

I have already deducted 400 cals a day, as I have put TDEE less 20% as a custom goal into MFP. Do I deduct 20% from my TDEE and not eat back exercise calories?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My TDEE worked out at 1980. Reading the Road Map guide, it says to deduct about 20% from this figure. So I've set MFP to 1580.

What's confusing here is that I can't tell where you are getting the TDEE. If from another website that calculates TDEE, then it is going to include an estimate of exercise in the number. I'd check out a few, as they all have slightly different ways of doing it (I like the ones that refer to hours per week, although even then you have a very broad estimate as different forms of exercise burn vastly different calories). In any case, as others have said, if you do the TDEE method you don't eat back exercise. It's maintenance (with exercise) - 20% (or the percent you choose).
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE already includes exercise. Don't eat back exercise calories if your goal is a deficit based on your TDEE. Eat TDEE - X%.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Thank you all.

Oh dear I am confused! I am sorry if I am misunderstanding.

I have already deducted 400 cals a day, as I have put TDEE less 20% as a custom goal into MFP. Do I deduct 20% from my TDEE and not eat back exercise calories?
    If you TDEE is 1980 and you customized your calorie goal at 1580 no DO NOT EAT THEM BACK.

You can log the excise just change it to 1 calorie.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, you should NOT log or eat back exercise calories if you're using the TDEE method.

Make sure that you recognize that the calculators for TDEE only give you a starting point. Those numbers are based on formulas written for population averages; they may or may not be accurate for your body. It's important to recalculate based on your real-world results after a few weeks or months.

For instance, let's say you're eating at what you believe is a 400-calorie deficit; that *should* give you a rate of loss of 0.8lbs/week. If after a couple of months, you've actually lost an average of 1.5lbs/week, then your true TDEE is probably higher than the calculator number and you may want to increase your calories. Maybe you exercise more than you think you do, or your metabolism is higher or body fat lower than you think it is. If after a couple of months, you've actually lost at a slower rate, then your true TDEE may be lower than you think it is, and you'd want to drop those calories a bit. It's a constant game of adjusting to find your numbers.

Good luck!
  • MrsGraves1987
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ah ha! Ok, that's great. Thank you all!

I did look at a couple of TDEE calculators online, which asked me to input my weight and height (160lbs 5ft 3), and exercise (Lightly Active). They gave me an average TDEE of 1980 cals. So now I understand that as long as I exercise lightly (which it states as 1-3 times a week which I am pretty sure I cover) I can eat up to 1980 cals and MAINTAIN. Because I wish to lose weight, I have chosen to deduct 20% - so as long as I continue to exercise and do not eat over 1580 I should lose weight.
    I'll evaluate the situation in 4 weeks to see whether I have the right cals set or whether I need to increase / decrease.

Thank you all <3
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Ah ha! Ok, that's great. Thank you all!

I did look at a couple of TDEE calculators online, which asked me to input my weight and height (160lbs 5ft 3), and exercise (Lightly Active). It gave me a TDEE of 1980 cals. So now I understand that as long as I exercise lightly (which it states as 1-3 times a week which I am pretty sure I cover) I can eat up to 1980 cals and MAINTAIN. Because I wish to lose weight, I have chosen to deduct 20% - so as long as I continue to exercise and do not eat over 1580 I should lose weight.
    I'll evaluate the situation in 4 weeks to see whether I have the right cals set or whether I need to increase / decrease.

Thank you all <3

Sounds like a great plan. That's pretty much what I do, too. Works well for me.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    TDEE you dont eat back period becayse your burns are already included.

Oh and your post at 4;32 is fine. yes you have it. Make sure you are accurate.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If when you worked out your TDEE you included your exercise (so put it at lightly active or moderately active or whatever), you don't eat your exercise calories back because it's included in your activity level. If you put your activity level to whatever it would be without the gym and the cycling, then you eat your exercise calories back.

This^
    Method 1 (exclusive of MFP):
    TDEE includes exercise....don't eat calories back.

Method 2:
    MFP does NOT include exercise.....eat calories back (some of them...estimates are generous).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You got it, OP!