Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    hupsii wrote: »
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    DerROK wrote: »
    Plz change the title from "Weight Watchers Rocks" to "anybody else doing it?". Very misleading....... So, rather that respond to the title (which is a NO btw), the answer to your real question is also NO because Weight Watchers do NOT Rock. Fox News did rate them tho as one of the few commercial diets that does help you lose weight, but the results were not very inspiring and they did not seem to be able to understand the difference between weight loss and fat loss.

The title is just fine so there is no need for it to be changed. I think the OP was speaking for him or herself and not for all. Do you have any studies that you could show that prove that WW does not understand the difference of weight loss and fat loss? Sorry but this part of your post doesn't make sense.
    health.usnews.com/best-diet/weight-watchers-diet

I guess because you only get weighed in the meetings... they encourage you to measure yourself but it's basically about the scale only ! And if you do not lose on the programme, they don't really have a solution.

For me that was the most frustrating part. If I maintained or gained the only explanation was "Sometimes it just happens". There was no talk about how sodium, hormones, and water retention from exercise could possibly be the culprit. Before I knew about all of that (which I learned about on here) there were times where I would leave meetings in tears.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    My brother is working on his PhD in Dietetics and I asked him whether Weight Watchers is a good program. His words: "Crystal, don't walk away from Weight Watchers. Run!".

Why?
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Plz change the title from "Weight Watchers Rocks" to "anybody else doing it?". Very misleading....... So, rather that respond to the title (which is a NO btw), the answer to your real question is also NO because Weight Watchers do NOT Rock. Fox News did rate them tho as one of the few commercial diets that does help you lose weight, but the results were not very inspiring and they did not seem to be able to understand the difference between weight loss and fat loss.

The title is just fine so there is no need for it to be changed. I think the OP was speaking for him or herself and not for all. Do you have any studies that you could show that prove that WW does not understand the difference of weight loss and fat loss? Sorry but this part of your post doesn't make sense.

I guess because you only get weighed in the meetings... they encourage you to measure yourself but it's basically about the scale only ! And if you do not lose on the programme, they don't really have a solution.

contradiction is contradictory

Why is Weight Watchers responsible to find a solution for you to lose weight? That's your responsibility. Eat at a deficit.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

It's only about the scale if a person chooses to make it that. For many WW life time members like myself who actually know the program as it is meant to be, it is more than just a scale. However, since a persons weight is how a person reaches their goal, one might think it is all about the scale. MFP, is no different however, since one is required to give a starting weight and a weight that they want to get to. Therefore MFP and WW are the same, imho. Also, if a person is not losing weight on WW they are going over their recommended points, which is the same as MFP for those who go over their recomened calories. WW does base their goal weight within a healthy BMI range. Isn't that what it should be?
  • FitPhillygirl
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Duplicate post deleted.
  • shezza4mobee
    shezza4mobee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Done WW twice now. Just quit my last round last week.
    I've been doing it the last two months in combination with MFP and honestly, WW is a joke to me. Sure the leaders are nice folks, and the meetings are a great bonding place and a place of accountability, but that's where the effectiveness stops.
    Not counting most fruits and vegetables is a joke. Encouraging you to work out so you'd have more points to eat is another, and the extra points make it so I feel like it's OK to binge one day a week, as long as it's not the two days before my weigh in.
    Not to mention, have you ever looked at most products WW sponsors? High in sodium and corn fructose. I personally think their plan is set up for you to lose some weight, slowly, so you keep needing to repetitively go to meetings for forever. And then every leader I've met so far has lost 30-35 lbs. When someone walks in needing to lose 100+ lbs, I just don't see that leader tag as much motivation, because they understand some struggles, but not all.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    all righty.
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I too lost weight on WW multi times. It is a great program. First time I did it was in 1999 and I lost 35 lbs. The most successful time was in 07/08 when I was at my heaviest. Starting weight 227 at 5'9. I lost 75kbs entirely following their online program. I kept it off for 3 years. And when I stopped tracking, running, and weighing/measuring food I gained. That is not the fault of WW. I also discovered running after my first 50 lbs. I learned about C25K on the WW boards and within 6 months I was running half.

The other thing I really appreciated is that they were the only major commercial diet I COULD do. I have been vegan for 25 years so all the other big brands with the prepackaged food were a no go for me.
    It is at it's core a calorie and deficit program with a layer of macros. It also has a earn exercise and you can eat it approach (but you don't have to). The flexibly of having a week look helps many just starting out who would bail on a diet if they felt they "cheated" (I hate this term) by having Easter dinner or date night then abandon all efforts. The weekly extra points (which are just built in to the deficit) gives people a way to plan for the special events.

Also my brother and sister in law are both doctors and are very positive about the program since it is basically just a form of a CI/CO program that teaches portions and encourages exercise. They knew I did it and cheered me on the whole way.

But alas I decided that it was time for me to start doing strait up calorie counting. Why. I don't think it is easier. One of the reasons I STOPPED going to meetings years ago is that the discussion in meetings was one of very typical American diet issues. Like understanding portions for the first time, stopping overeating fastfood. Not eating a pound of bacon. None of these related to me as a vegan who ate too much "healthy" food and damn well knew it. Online was better but honestly since they changed the program formula it has been harder for me. I don't eat out at many chain restaurants. So when I eat out I can likely find the calories for a dish but not the fat fiber ect. The new formula using the fat fiber ect to calulate the calories and then thereby the points.

So I 20 days I thought I will add MFP to WW see what happened. Two days in I canceled WW and am only on MFP and have lost 9 lbs. I think WW is great but you have less control. Using MFP I can decide if I want to set my calories to take off 2 lbs a week or .5. WW is based on height and weight and you are given a points allowance. I really think it is a great program for people starting out on thier journey who have a typical American diet and the programs that come with it. It can be adapted to other things like a vegan diet but MFP is better suited for that.

• who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have done Weight Watchers a few times, and while I lost, it was super slow. Plus, it seemed I lost the most during weeks that I really didn't follow closely and I gained weeks that I followed it to the letter. So, for me personally, it wasn't the answer. But nothing works for everyone, so if you are getting good results, then for you, Weight Watchers indeed rocks!
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options

It's only about the scale if a person chooses to make it that. For many WW life time members like myself who actually know the program as it is meant to be, it is more than just a scale. However, since a persons weight is how a person reaches their goal, one might think it is all about the scale. MFP, is no different however, since one is required to give a starting weight and a weight that they want to get to. Therefore MFP and WW are the same, imho. Also, if a person is not losing weight on WW they are going over their recommended points, which is the same as MFP for those who go over their recomened calories. WW does base their goal weight within a healthy BMI range. Isn't that what it should be?

I am just saying that if you go to the meetings and pay good money for it, one would expect results or in absence of those, some guidelines ...
  • hupsii
    Options

Why is Weight Watchers responsible to find a solution for you to lose weight? That's your responsibility. Eat at a deficit.

because if you pay for this programm, they promise you results
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

For me that was the most frustrating part. If I maintained or gained the only explanation was "Sometimes it just happens". There was no talk about how sodium, hormones, and water retention from exercise could possibly be the culprit. Before I knew about all of that (which I learned about on here) there were times where I would leave meetings in tears.

That probably depends on the leader. My leader suggested all of those things when I did WW in 2005-2006.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

Your results though are up to you. The weeks I didn't lose were weeks I didn't journal as faithfully as other weeks, even though I WAS CERTAIN I stayed "OP - on program" but how easy is it to forget stuff when you don't write it down?

• daisy_janinex
    daisy_janinex Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've tried WW's but I find with these kinda clubs, you always end up going back once getting to goal! I could never stick to it for more than a few weeks :( I think I'll have more success with MFP tbh
  • daisy_janinex
    daisy_janinex Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Also I did WW online, and didn't go to groups, maybe thats why! I found working out points a bit of a faff
  • FitPhillygirl
    Options

I am just saying that if you go to the meetings and pay good money for it, one would expect results or in absence of those, some guidelines ...

I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately, there are some really good leaders in WW, but there are also very bad ones as well. If you are unlucky enough to get a bad one the guidance that you are paying for might not be what it should. I was lucky where I signed up had great leaders and made the whole program very easy to follow which in turn helped me to reach my goal weight in less than a year and become a lifetime member so I have not had to pay anything again except for the few times that I missed a monthly weigh in. I do feel that MFP does have a great support system here with friends and helpful members which is awesome for those who need it.
  • FitPhillygirl
    Options
    I've tried WW's but I find with these kinda clubs, you always end up going back once getting to goal! I could never stick to it for more than a few weeks :( I think I'll have more success with MFP tbh

Yes, with WW you do have to go back at least once a month to weigh in but it doesn't cost you anything. Really, with WW I don't see the point in a person going through the whole program and getting to goal if after that they never go back again. The point is to lose weight and become a lifetime member with them. Once you do, you will receive eTools free every month and never pay for a meeting again unless you miss a monthly weigh in or you are 2 pounds or more above your goal weight.
  • FitPhillygirl
    Options

No, WW does not "promise" you results. The results that you get are up to you and how well you follow the program.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I did WW a few years ago and it was great- got down to my goal weight in a couple of months. I gained some back and found MFP which to me is basically the same thing, but doesn't cost $$$ so I love it!
  • hupsii
    Options

I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately, there are some really good leaders in WW, but there are also very bad ones as well. If you are unlucky enough to get a bad one the guidance that you are paying for might not be what it should. I was lucky where I signed up had great leaders and made the whole program very easy to follow which in turn helped me to reach my goal weight in less than a year and become a lifetime member so I have not had to pay anything again except for the few times that I missed a monthly weigh in. I do feel that MFP does have a great support system here with friends and helpful members which is awesome for those who need it.

yes, I guess it all depends on the leader, so you were very lucky :)