36 pound loss- why am I so down?

Options

Replies

• foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    That's the downside to starting out so heavy, the heavier you are the less you can see the change but you KNOW you have changed and you're not going to stop until everyone can see the huge difference!!
  • rjs3455
    rjs3455 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way... Started at 234 down to 207. People are commenting on my weight loss but I still feel very very large when I look in the mirror. You just need to remember not only did you lose a ton of weight but also think of the little things... like how your clothes fit different... how you can now see your thigh muscle indentations better... for me its how I can wear rings and bracelets now!! You have accomplished more than most.... keep it up girl and don’t let that image society portrays get to you... your beautiful 36 pounds is amazing!!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Did you measure your waste and legs/arms and stuff when you started? Did you take any "before" pictures? Keep your chin up! Dress for the body you have right now and own today. Tomorrow will be here and soon your old image will be just something in your past. <3
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    That is excellent weight loss....it took me 3.5 months to lose around 25 lbs. Nice job and stick with it!
  • bcrawfoot
    bcrawfoot Posts: 5
    Options
    hey thats great and yr clothes must be far too big for u now i have lost 4lbs and things are too big wrong my waist got a size 12 waist but got big tummy so have to wear size 14 i have another 2.5 stone yet maybe more as idea weight is very wide so not sure what to work towards, i like some numbers in kgs and then some in pounds but saying your weight in pounds sounds all so much as over 110 sounds terrible to me, does anyone else have these issues lol
    keep up your hard work and remember who you are doing it for a healthy life is coming your way and a new wardrobe too xx
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Good job.

And you are not alone. I struggle with this also. I am annoyed that I got so fat. I'm mad that I have lost 46 pounds and I am still SO fat. But I use that as my motivation to keep working at it.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I get feeling like this too.. But I look at it this way: I would rather have lost my 43 pounds, than gained it. And I know full well that I would have noticed an extra 43 pounds on me, so I am just being too judgemental towards myself and not noticing the 43 pounds lost.
    I really should have taken before pictures, but even in older pictures I can see a huge difference, even if they are not full body pictures.
  • MsLaurie65
    MsLaurie65 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That's amazing, Congratulations on the lose. But don't feel so down, you have accomplish so much, go out and enjoy yourself, buy yourself an outfit, get your nails and toes, and hair done. You deserve it MsLady, keep your head up and keep going strong. You have to see the change in yourself first before you can appreciate the compliment of someone else. You look hot I just know it!:wink:
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Nice job.

Feelings come and go. Don't kick yourself more that you're down, if you know what I mean. ("I should feel better.")

Accept that sometimes your feelings don't match expectations, and then let it go. Do something else. At some point, the feelings will catch up. Sometimes it has more to do with exercise and sleep than with actual change.

And yeah, it SUCKS when people don't recognize it. But that's people. YOUR FRIENDS can tell. They might just be reluctant to ask, or they might be waiting for you to say "Man, I am so glad to hit my last milestone. Can't wait to celebrate and then get ready for the next one."

Remember, though, talking about diets and weight loss with people is like telling them about your AWESOME VACATION. The discussion might not be that interesting to them, so keep it light.

Keep it up. You're doing great.
  • jannapurna
    jannapurna Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You should feel very proud of yourself. No, really! Give yourself a hug!
    I took a quick look and I saw that you're a mom, likely a mom who's used to putting everyone else before herself.
    Please, do yourself (and your confidence) a favor and reward yourself for all your hard work. You ARE worth it, and 36lbs is amazing and inspiring.
  • thehulket
    thehulket Posts: 33
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I've lost almost 25 lbs, and feel no difference. I still have 75 to go ... it's very discouraging.

But all I can think is, it may only be 25 lbs, but 75 lbs to go is better than 100. And I can't waste my hard work. That helps ... a little. :S
  • allison0324
    Options
    Yes it is a lot! Congrats on all of your hard work!

I totally understand how you feel! I have over 100 pounds to lose and I have lost 30. It just does not feel good enough! I try to look at other things, like my before picture and my picture now. Yes, I am still fat, but I am not as fat as I was. My 4 year old weighs 30 pounds, and I think, wow, I lost a whole 4 year old. That was a lot of hard work.

I have also had to buy new clothing, and I feel so much better than I did 30 pounds ago. I add new challenges to my workout, like working out 4 days a week, and reaching 10,000 steps a day (to achieve this I have to do 90 minutes of cardio a day, I take walks with the kids, and go to the gym). I celebrate those small victories, knowing that a year from now, the picture will be very different!

Try to see the positive, I bet is more noticeable than you think!
  • youngpat
    youngpat Posts: 12
    Options
    36lbs is a great, I haven't even lost the first pound. You are doing wonderful and I bet you look wonderful too. Maybe you should stop trying to see the difference and start feeling the diffrence, I bet you have more energy now and you can fit in clothes you couldnt before, so look at that side of things and keep up the good work.

Chear up you are doing a great job:flowerforyou:
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have lost 43 so far ... && is really feeling down today. I know that I've come a long way becasue I am able to work out like I never did before .... but for some reason i feel really bummed that i have JUST as long to get to my goal....

I can definitely agree with this statement! ^

I'm ALMOST in Onederland though. That makes me VERY happy! I'm maybe 2 lbs away. However, I'm thinking I still have another 40 lbs until I feel like "I may be happy with what I see in the mirror"!! *SIGH*

I have lost nearly 50 lbs and I still don't see a HUGE difference. Not like I thought I would. And to make matters worse, I'm still sometimes wearing size 16's. WTF?! I started out wearing 16 & 18's. GRR!! :o/
  • ltdavis66
    ltdavis66 Posts: 1
    Options
    You know; when we think of weight; we think of the physical aspect of it and not what it can do to our physiological aspects of our body. The body has its checks and balances; if the physiological aspect of your body lost as fast as the physical; you may be in bad shape. We have to let the chemistries catch up with adjusting to the different demands it (body) needs; for every pound lost; the body needs to readjust; that is why we tend to eat less and have a lesser appetitie. Loosing weight also affects your hormones, enzymes; and brain chemistry (brain transmitters, neuron and such) which may be why you feel the way you feel.. I think you done a great job and focus on such; and keep on trucking. Just also step back and let the internal aspect of you catch up. In the medical world; people that have to have bariatric surgery as a last resort; have to have a behavioral health assessent because it is evidence base that loosing weight as gaining has it psychological toll on the human mind. You will continue to see results, hand in there. This is only an opinion.. hope it helps.
  • hmkeith
    hmkeith Posts: 9
    Options
    I started at 250 pounds. I'm now down to 185. THere is a HUGE difference in someone who will meet their goal in a few months to a year and realizing that with 100+lbs to lose you have to be in it for the long haul. It has taken me over a year to lose 65 pounds. Sometimes I get discouraged because I just get tired. Just tired of doing it. Seeing other people meet goals (especially on here) after a few months can be really discouraging. BUt I just have to look at it like this: Everyday you have a choice to either stop and be fat or keep going and know that it will eventually stop being true. There actually IS an end. I also look at it like the previous person mentioned. its 65 lbs that I don't have to carry around everywhere anymore! in your case 30+. That's HUGE!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Definitely pull out some before pictures and even try on your before pants/dress/shirt. That is what really helps me notice the difference when I'm feeling a bit discouraged. I also find that this re-affirmation help motivate me to keep going. It's like, I did all this hard work to get this far, I'm sure as hell not giving up now!!
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    36 pounds is great! Keep it up and I'm sure you will feel like a million dollars in no time! Don't get yourself down about your weight! Just think about how healthy you are becoming and how you probably extended your life just by losing these first 36 pounds! You should be so proud of yourself! I'm definitely proud of you! :smile:
  • jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Options
    I know how you feel. I had no idea how emotional this weight loss journey would be. I have days where I am on top of the world because I am so happy about how much I have lost. Then I have days where I feel like complete crap and think I will never reach my goal. Thankfully, the down days are outweighed by the happy days!
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    oh no! 36 pounds is amazing! don't let yourself get down. :) just keep up the good work and when your under 200 im sure you will start feeling like AHA! wow! im sure you already look noticeably different. :) just don't give up!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!