I CANT STAY OFF THE SCALE!!

Options

Replies

• AmberLeeMichigan
    AmberLeeMichigan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday too and it frustrates me but I still do it. I don't know if I need a new scale or what but sometimes it shows a 2.5 lb gain overnight! I don't get that at all. I've never changed the batteries so maybe that's it. My husband tells me to just do it once a week. I really want to try that but haven't been able to keep myself off of it yet. I weigh every morning but log once a week.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If you're going to freak out with every little fluctuation, then just stop and hold yourself to a one time a week protocol. Seriously. Just don't do it if it bugs you. Otherwise, don't worry about it. I tend to weigh daily so I can get used to my fluctuations, and if I know I'm eating right, logging properly, and working out, then I know that I'm doing what I need to do....so I don't freak out about the scale showing some water retention or whatever.

BTW - a 2.5 lb gain overnight is typically just water retention and normal fluctuation - you didn't eat enough calories overnight to gain that much :)
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I weigh a few times a day out of curiosity, but those fluctuations don't bug me; I'm a numbers person, it's just more data to play with! haha. I only log my weight when I have a sustained new low for 2+ days though.

I also however have to give up my scale for long periods of time because I travel for work --and not like cute, oh I have to go somewhere for the week type travel, we're talking 1-2 months at a time-- so I definitely look to other indicators like measurements, how things fit, can I run further/longer, etc.

I look at the scale as just one of my arsenal of tools. If it bugs you to see those fluctuations, don't weigh daily. Pull out your scale every Monday morning, then stick it in a cupboard for the rest of the week. Out of sight, out of mind.
  • jpalmettoguy
    jpalmettoguy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Every time I'm in the bathroom I want to jump on the scale. I'm thinking about getting rid of it or putting it in the attic. I am lifting heavy weights now so I really shouldn't be going by the scale bc I am gaining muscle even though my waist is decreasing.
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I stay off after that because once I eat and drink anything it slowly goes up. I like to keep myself motivated so I make sure to do it first thing in the morning before any food and drinking.
  • sup3rb3ast
    sup3rb3ast Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I have tried to only do it once a week, but I can't. I will admit it is a bit of an obsession. I don't think that is a terrible thing, but its probably not good. Heh. Sometimes I weigh myself at varying points in the day to see how my weight fluctuates in conjunction to things like drinking a lot of water, eating salty foods, after a big meal etc. But these are more out of curiosity than anything else. I have learned to NEVER EVER weigh myself when I am at the end of my cycle. Only despair can come of that. Haha.
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    No.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Jump on the scale as much as you want, its personal. Theres nothing wrong with weighing often as long as you realise its a tool that just gives data out and your body naturally fluctuates through the day. If you understand fluctuations and can deal with it then its just data.

If you are excessive then you will get bored after a while. Daily is fine as long as you are consistent.

If you cnat handle it do it less often at a rate that suits your personality.

Use other measures besides just weight, such as the tape , how your clothes fit or performance measures at the gym. I fin the scale a very useful tool and it motivates me in the way I use it.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday too and it frustrates me but I still do it. I don't know if I need a new scale or what but sometimes it shows a 2.5 lb gain overnight! I don't get that at all. I've never changed the batteries so maybe that's it. My husband tells me to just do it once a week. I really want to try that but haven't been able to keep myself off of it yet. I weigh every morning but log once a week.

2.5lb weight gain overnight is perfectly normal. Everyone fluctuates everyday.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    For me, the scale and the number it reports to me is not my goal. That seems depressing and somehow empty.

My goals are functional. I want to lose fat so that I can do X, Y and Z. The scale's only real purpose is to benchmark whether my balance of calories in, calories out is correct.

Maybe instead of focusing a number, focus on an accomplishment (or two or three).
  • dcgi
    dcgi Posts: 1
    Options
    It doesn't give you any meaningful data to weigh in everyday for the simple fact that if you're keeping yourself properly hydrated your weight will yo-yo throughout the day and going to the loo will change that significantly.

Stick to doing it once a week because at least then you have a proper trend as to your weight and not a volatile set of readings that will only end up needing to be averaged into a weekly reading to make sense of them anyway.

The best advice is to weigh in once a week, and do it the same day and same time every week.

For me it's Tuesday morning (naked to get a accurate reading) as I perform my abolutions.
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yes! For the last week I have put the scale out of my sight in the cupboard. I have got it out once to weigh though :/. It will be coming out tomorrow though because its weigh-in day!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. If I didnt, then I might not see any progress form weeks, since I have a very small deficit. Basically, my 0.4 per week loss can be masked by water weight, or even not going to the bathroom as much!

I take a weekly average and see if it goes down.
  • Lady_Grell
    Lady_Grell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to once a week - try being the key word. I know that I can get overly worried over nothing. I might appear to be 2lbs heavier from one day to the next, but I know that it's just natural fluctuations. At the same time, I do freak. It's like the rational part of my brain shuts down when I look at the numbers. What I did was to remove the scale from the bathroom. When I didn't see every time I stepped in there, slowly the urge subsided. I still cheat from time to time on the whole only once a week thing, but I do so a lot less often when the trigger, this being the scale, isn't so readily available and in sight.
  • arkham_ma
    arkham_ma Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do, and it can be rough not to let the ups & downs daily get to you.

I often weigh a few times a day, but keep in mind that there are a lot of factors influencing fluctuations.

The only weight I track is the one first thing in the morning. And I only track that in 1 of my apps. On MFP & the app I use for fitness, I only track 1 weigh-in per week. Fridays.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning first thing. I use an app called Happy Scale to log the daily weigh ins, which helps smooth over fluctuations. I went up almost a full pound this morning but no sweat - app still shows I have a downward trend so I'm on track and will keep eating well & working out and it will all be good :) At this point it's interesting to see how the numbers jump around, but when I start to eat poorly, seeing a number go up is a reminder to get back on track and that if I get back on track, this will be a-okay.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my scale a while back - best decision I ever made. I rarely even bother weighing myself anymore, now that I'm about where I want to be. I agree that weighing yourself daily is an unhealthy habit that is going to bear false promise on some days, and completely discourage you on others (your body weight is going to fluctuate every day). Are you seeing muscle definition? Going down in clothing sizes? Weight is just a number that has very little bearing on how healthy, in shape, or attractive you actually are.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    dcgi wrote: »
    It doesn't give you any meaningful data to weigh in everyday for the simple fact that if you're keeping yourself properly hydrated your weight will yo-yo throughout the day and going to the loo will change that significantly.

Stick to doing it once a week because at least then you have a proper trend as to your weight and not a volatile set of readings that will only end up needing to be averaged into a weekly reading to make sense of them anyway.

Funny, I think the exact opposite. Weighing once a week you're not only cutting your data down to a seventh, but you won't know where you actually are with your weight because you won't know where you were the day before or the day after. As you say, we fluctuate everyday. So let's say one day you fluctuate 3lbs heavier. It wasn't there the day before and won't be there the day after. But if you happen to weigh on the day you're fluctuating, you won't know that, and you may get disappointed because you haven't lost or have gained that week. I simply don't see how less data could, from an analytical point of view, be better.

I agree that there's not much point in weighing multiple times a day as your weight then comes down to what you're eating & doing that day, but in the morning things like that haven't affected you yet. And as tigerblue said, if you're aiming for a low weight loss, then it'll be ages before you really see a loss since it can get so easily masked by fluctuations. Weigh every day though and you're 7 times more likely to find a new low.
  • girlperson666
    girlperson666 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I weigh and log daily! I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Obviously, fluctuations are going to happen, bigger meals and smaller meals (or bigger days and smaller days!) are going to happen, weight isn't entirely consistent or reflective of how healthy you are. So long as the overall trend is downward, I think i'm doing alright!

...and sometimes i'll weigh myself before and after going to the bathroom just to see how much it weighed :p
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. Every morning and sometimes when I'm done with a workout just to note the difference. It's how I keep myself accountable.