Go green smoothies (Detox?)

Options
so I've upgraded my smoothies from the lovely strawberry and banana ones and all other fruits to the more detox ones! Do these actually work? I'm just having one for breakfast, spinach banana orange and squirt of lemon juice, wasn't as bad as I thought? Has anyone given these a go? And do you have any other go green recipes?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Give this a read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1

TL;DR no such thing as a detox, don't bother.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Any idea what you are detoxing other than "toxinz!!!!" Figure that out, and you may be able to answer your own question, because no one else can.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work.

Your kidneys and liver detox your body already.

Detox as used in the diet world is a misnomer. There are no toxins floating around your body that drinking lemon juice or spinach will remove.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I like green smoothies because they can be tasty and filling. They do not detox your body because your body has been doing that all by itself your entire life.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    so I've upgraded my smoothies from the lovely strawberry and banana ones and all other fruits to the more detox ones! Do these actually work? I'm just having one for breakfast, spinach banana orange and squirt of lemon juice, wasn't as bad as I thought? Has anyone given these a go? And do you have any other go green recipes?

The only reason any diet works is because you eat less calories than you burn. Those tasty smoothies are not magic, and they do not detox. Your body does not need detoxing, it does it all by itself.

I advise that you don't use them as a meal replacement, but if you like them then add them to a meal. I personally love smoothies and homemade juices, but I would never use them to replace a meal.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think that smoothie sounds tasty in general, and I think adding greens into a smoothie is a great way to get extra veggies in if you have trouble eating them all. But yeah, no detoxing.
  • carlamarie1979
    carlamarie1979 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ok so if i didn't mention the word detox then i what sort of replies would I get, I'm having 1 for breakfast, I'm not living on them I'm eating totally well throughout the day so surely there is some benefit from drinking just one a day??
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Ok so if i didn't mention the word detox then i what sort of replies would I get, I'm having 1 for breakfast, I'm not living on them I'm eating totally well throughout the day so surely there is some benefit from drinking just one a day??

Vitamins from the fruits and vegetables. You'd get those same vitamins if you ate them instead of blending them.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I guess they aren't so hard on your teeth since you don't have to chew :smile:
  • carlamarie1979
    Options
    When i say work I mean as in good for you, I'm not detoxing my body!! But if I google green smoothies that's what you see the word detox!
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    What benefit are you looking for? Your smoothie will provide the benefits of the vitamins and nutrients that the ingredients of said smoothie have.
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Only your wallet.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The main benefit would be that it's easier to drink spinach blended with orange than to eat them together. There's nothing magical about blending the stuff that you wouldn't get from just eating the stuff, but if you like the smoothies, that's a benefit.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Not specifically, no. They may help you to hit certain nutrient goals, but there's nothing special about them.

If you like them, and you're able to hit your Calorie/macro/micro goals, then they're fine.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    'detox' *chuckle*

You don't look like someone who needs to boost their bodies current detoxifying abilities.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

The benefit is whatever you give it. But, replacing a meal with them is not the best thing. Why not add them to real food?

Yeah, detox is a loaded statement. :)
  • usmcmp
    Options
    When i say work I mean as in good for you, I'm not detoxing my body!! But if I google green smoothies that's what you see the word detox!

You see detox because it's a new marketing trend.

Of course green smoothies are good for you because they are made from fruits and vegetables. They contain vitamins and minerals, which our bodies need for our healthy. You could still gain weight eating green smoothies if your total calories for the day are too high compared to the amount of calories your body needs.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    surely there is some benefit from drinking just one a day??
    The benefit is that you put spinach, orange, banana and a little lemon juice in your body. It's no different than if you ate them by themselves.

also
    The likelihood that a person uses the word "toxin" correlates strongly with how much Chemistry the person does *not* know

— neiltyson (@Neil deGrasse Tyson)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I guess they aren't so hard on your teeth since you don't have to chew :smile:

I guess this is tongue in cheek? :) If not, teeth are made for chewing. If so, good one. :)
  • carlamarie1979
    Options
    Pretty much the same as protein shakes then, pointless! You can get your protein from food, but thanks for your advice anyway x