Low sugar, low carb, low wheat, vegan diet..is this possible?

Options
m_kipp
m_kipp Posts: 86 Member
Hey everyone. I reactivated my account to start keeping track of things better. I am a vegan guy (although I sometimes cheat with eggs, cheese and mayo but I really try not too) but I seem to not be able to lose weight. I am now trying to be as low as possible on SUGAR, CARBS and WHEAT. Anyone have suggestions for food? Being vegan I need to get in my protein and most veggies that have protein have carbs.....thoughts?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well, sugar and wheat (mostly) are carbs, so you are really asking is if you can do low carb vegan.

In that most non-meat forms of protein have a decent amount of carbs it seems pretty challenging, but I guess tofu doesn't. People always talk up nuts as a protein source, but they don't seem that high to me, although I guess you'd need to be eating lots of fat anyway, so that could work.

I'd check out the low carb group and see if anyone there is doing a vegan version of the plan.

Sounds really, really difficult, though.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    How "low" are you talking when you say low carb?

If you mean just reducing your grains and processed foods and added sugars and keeping your carbs on the lower side (100-150g or so), it probably will be somewhat difficult but not impossible if you plan very carefully.

If you're talking ketosis (<20-25g or so of carbs per day, think Atkins), it's next to impossible to accomplish this on a vegan diet. I'm not saying no one in the history of the world has ever done it, but it's going to suck a LOT, and I would bet a lot of money that it's not something you could sustain long-term. You'd be limited to vegetable oils and then limited amounts of non-starchy vegetables, small amounts of tofu and tempeh, protein powder, small amounts of nuts and seeds, and MAYBE you could fit a few berries in there. Unless you were just drinking cups of olive oil or something insane and gross and not nutritionally balanced, it would be incredibly difficult to meet a reasonable calorie goal on a truly low carb diet without animal products. It's unfortunate, but vegan and ketosis are two ways of eating where they are SO different that you kind of just have to pick a lane and drive - you're not going to be able to do both and stay healthy.
  • paulinecardinalmitchell
    Options
    Some one told me a long time ago you need to have more calories going out then coming in it"s not what your eating as long as the calories you burn are more them what your eating. So just keep journaling on here of your calories eaten and what you are burning and you will lose weight.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, track your calories. Use the recommended settings on MFP and stick to it, you'll be fine. For your protein sources, look to tofu and seitan.
  • sorbus33rowan
    sorbus33rowan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Okay:
    As for the "cheating", I'm not sure how you can cheat a political stance and lifestyle choice of doing as little harm as possible. You can however cheat a plant based diet which sounds more like what you've got going there. (Sorry it just annoys me when people use the word vegan to descibe their diet when that's really not what it's about). There are plenty pf vegan cheeses, mayos, eggs, cakes, chocolate, sweets, etc. No need to cheat.
    Sugar is bad for you but only certain types, aka the refined types. Sugar in fruit and veg is absolutely not something to cut down on.
    Unrefind carbs are also bad but the good news is other carbs arent. Fruit, veg, wholegrains, legumes, and other plant food are very healthy. As for protein don't worry about it, you don't need as much as you think (about 55g a day for average men).
    For optimum health (and therfore weight loss) stick to a whloefoods plant based diet: this includes nuts, seeds, whole grains, vegtables, fruits, and legumes.
    Some good websites include nutrionfacts.org, onegreenplanet, and websites organisations such as viva! and the vegan society.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    are you counting your calories?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I can't really see how to do low carb vegan and get adequate protein. There's tempeh and tofu, they're not too carby, but that would be about it. There are also vegan protein powders available, but I don't know much about their carb counts.

You could do moderate carb and incorporate 1 serving of beans in your day for some more protein. If you want to keep wheat off the menu, most commercially available vegan meat substitutes might be off the table for you. A good deal of them have wheat in them.

It should be noted that most vegans are ethical vegans, so ... are you a vegan for health reasons? I don't understand the eggs and cheese "cheating", but... your diet, your choice. Just don't call yourself a vegan around other vegans. You're an ovo lacto veggie who just rarely indulges in the ovo lacto stuff.

Regarding losing weight, simply count calories. Log your food. Buy a food scale. Weigh all solids, and measure all liquids.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I reactivated my account to start keeping track of things better. I am a vegan guy (although I sometimes cheat with eggs, cheese and mayo but I really try not too) but I seem to not be able to lose weight. I am now trying to be as low as possible on SUGAR, CARBS and WHEAT. Anyone have suggestions for food? Being vegan I need to get in my protein and most veggies that have protein have carbs.....thoughts?

So, you are a vegetarian. Because eggs. But I would imagine tofu and lots of leafy greens, nuts and nut butters for fat.

You dont have to do ANY of this to lose weight though, honestly the only reason to be vegan is if you have ethical concerns about meat/dairy. (Vegan here that doesn't believe the woo about plant based diets being any healthier than omni diets)

Count calories, stick to your deficit, give it time.....the rest falls into place.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    IMO, trying to lose weight by reducing entire categories of food is sort of self-defeating. You'l burn more calories trying to find foods that fit your goals, but that's about it. Seitan is made from wheat so if you are really trying to stay wheat free, that is off the menu too.

Here's some really, really expensive vegetable proteins (think seaweed, algae). I'll come back later with their names.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm eating just like that (no sugar, excess carbs or grains), except I do eat seafood, and I will eat "clean" meats.

Basically you're going to have veggies, vegan protein sources (protein powders, black beans, nuts/seeds, lentils). Currently keeping my net carbs (crbs-fiber) quite low, and nourishing fats that exclude industrial oils like canola. I use coconut products, avocado, nut/seed butters, a little olive oil.

So here's a meal plan idea:
    Typically it's stir fry for breakfast and green protein shake, and saute for lunch with small serving of beans/lentils, as well as some chicken or seafood...but you would probably do another protein shake. Dinner of protein, salad.

My treat is dark chocolate.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit will cause weight loss. I couldn't tell from your post if you are restricting carbohydrates for medical reasons or not, but if you are doing it for weight loss, it could help you create a deficit. But it doesn't sound incredibly sustainable.

Other posters have mentioned tofu, tempeh, and nuts. I have known one low carb vegan and these were staples of her diet. If I remember correctly, she also didn't count carbs from non-starchy vegetables.

If you are doing this for weight loss, have you tried simply introducing a calorie deficit and going from there? This may be easier than you are making it. I am losing about a pound a week on 50-60% carbohydrates, a lot of those being sugar from fruit. I have noticed that different people prefer different foods for satiety, but I am not convinced that everyone has a problem with satiety and carbohydrates. I think a lot of it is what you eat with them.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    IMO, trying to lose weight by reducing entire categories of food is sort of self-defeating. You'l burn more calories trying to find foods that fit your goals, but that's about it. Seitan is made from wheat so if you are really trying to stay wheat free, that is off the menu too.

Here's some really, really expensive vegetable proteins (think seaweed, algae). I'll come back later with their names.

Spirulina, if you don't mind your food tasting like pond water, has 2 gm protein per teaspoon. ;)
  • m_kipp
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have been vegan for 4 years now. And by cheating I mean VERY rarely. I have heard so many things about how bad wheat is for you and carbs. I know that there is no vegan Atkins plan. I am just now starting here and logging my food....so I can just look at that. I didn't mean to ruffle feathers on the cheating comment, just trying to be 100% honest.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

This is an interesting question, I hope you get some answers. I have a friend going through some serious digestive problems, which the docs are still trying to find the root cause for. She's basically reduced to a similar set of conditions - no grains, no red meat, no sugar, which sucks because she loves all of 'em.

Lurking with interest...
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I have heard so many things about how bad wheat is for you and carbs.

You've heard wrong
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have been vegan for 4 years now. And by cheating I mean VERY rarely. I have heard so many things about how bad wheat is for you and carbs. I know that there is no vegan Atkins plan. I am just now starting here and logging my food....so I can just look at that. I didn't mean to ruffle feathers on the cheating comment, just trying to be 100% honest.

There is a lot of "noise" out there when it comes to what to eat.

I wouldn't avoid wheat and carbohydrates just because you heard they were bad. As vegans, many of our best protein sources are connected to carbohydrates (beans, for example!). A lot of what you hear about carbohydrates is connected to over-consumption of calories, which is something we can control. Without better evidence of harm, I see no reason for us to avoid foods like beans or grains.

I would begin logging, introduce a deficit, and pay attention to how various carbohydrates impact your hunger. For example, when I eat fruit with other items, I feel fine. When I eat fruit alone, I get ravenous. You may notice similar things when you eat certain foods. Understanding this has helped me plan my meals without having to limit food groups from my life (beyond, obviously, the veganism).

• m_kipp
    Options
    I know that the high protein veggies all have some carbs in them but if I am eliminating wheat...those are the bad processed carbs. I think it will be ok.....no?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Oh, gotcha. +1 for honesty.

Neither of those things are bad for you unless you have medical conditions that make them that way. Or a personal preference.

You only need to create a calorie deficit to lose weight, and the best way to do that is to be as accurate as you can with tracking your intake.

Get a food scale. Weigh all your solids. Measure all your liquids. Select the correct entries from the data base (look for unstarred entries) or verify the information with food packaging.

If you exercise and enter it into MFP and use the site for calorie burns, don't eat all those calories back. Most of the estimates on here are greatly overinflated.

If you do all of this, you can eat the foods you like within your calorie goals and lose weight.

If you'd prefer to cut your carbs, you've already been given some great advice on the lower carb forms of vegan protein. Add some nuts, nut butters, things like avocado for fat, and plenty of non-starchy vegetables.

• m_kipp
    Options
    I would begin logging, introduce a deficit, and pay attention to how various carbohydrates impact your hunger. For example, when I eat fruit with other items, I feel fine. When I eat fruit alone, I get ravenous. You may notice similar things when you eat certain foods. Understanding this has helped me plan my meals without having to limit food groups from my life (beyond, obviously, the veganism).

Yeah I agree. I think SUGAR might be my biggest enemy. Using it a lot in the past. Even the natural sugars in fruits I hear spikes your blood sugar and is not good to have all the time? I was having fruits smoothies with unsweetened almond milk daily and that might not have been a good thing?