Adkins diet

Options
13»

Replies

• Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I personally couldn't stick to a Ketogenic diet for life. The problem with it is that a lot of people (NOT all) think they can revert back to their normal way of eating after they drop the weight. My dad lost 50 pounds in 4 months following Atkins and gained almost all of it back. For some people (including myself), it would be a very hard and expensive lifestyle to live. If you can actually sustain eating sub 100 carbs a day for life, then by all means do so. I don't see a problem.
  • lowcarber87
    lowcarber87 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    OP: if you've spoken with your medical professionals and have decided to try Atkins (low carb) to help with your diabetes I recommend joining one of the low carb groups here. Lots of good approach on how to approach low carb dieting there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Great advice.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Lexicpt wrote: »
    I personally couldn't stick to a Ketogenic diet for life. The problem with it is that a lot of people (NOT all) think they can revert back to their normal way of eating after they drop the weight. My dad lost 50 pounds in 4 months following Atkins and gained almost all of it back. For some people (including myself), it would be a very hard and expensive lifestyle to live. If you can actually sustain eating sub 100 carbs a day for life, then by all means do so. I don't see a problem.

That's a problem with any diet, though. Nobody gains weight when they go off Atkins or keto unless they go back to eating more calories than they burn, just like they did before Atkins and keto. It's not putting carbs back in their lives that causes the weight gain, it's being lazy about what they eat again that causes weight gain.
  • gaurdgoose
    gaurdgoose Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am a recovering morbidly obese out of control Type two Diabetic[/b][/b].
    Since getting on this site and reducing my overall calorie intake and reducing my total carbohydrate intake to below 100-120 per day I have been able to reduce the medicines I was on. I think I would start tracking what you are eating first and see where your calories are coming from. Then you could make an educated decision as to what to change in your diet.
    The other thing to consider as well as quantity of carbohydrates is if you are getting enough fiber in your diet Good Luck
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Talk with a dietician. They will probably recommend a healthy balanced diet rather than restricting carbs. If you're not active at the moment you will see positive change by increasing your exercise levels. I try telling my type 1 friend this while she makes herself miserable on slimming world with no butter on her potatoes.

It might sound simple but I know it isn't easy. Please use these boards for support.

1000 sounds super low. I'm on 1200 and losing steadily (6lb in first month) and I'm 5'1", aged 32, desk job. I eat less but proper meals and treat snacks, drink more water and exercise more (mainly walking my dog with the kids and evening indoor biking while watching my favourite telly!).

Good luck.
  • Lexicpt
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    That's a problem with any diet, though. Nobody gains weight when they go off Atkins or keto unless they go back to eating more calories than they burn, just like they did before Atkins and keto. It's not putting carbs back in their lives that causes the weight gain, it's being lazy about what they eat again that causes weight gain.

But Atkins doesn't have you count calories, right? In the original Atkins plan, they just tell you to eat until you're full. I would imagine that anyone not counting calories while they are losing the weight won't count them during maintenance either. Bear with me, I'm not 100% familiar with the way it works.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I might be wrong, but I think the calorie part of Atkins is that when you are cutting out all the simple carbohydrates from your diet, you naturally get fuller on less calories. In other words, I can down a whole bag of doritoes without blinking and still be hungry, but if I eat one whole chicken breast, I'm filled up. Notice the difference in calories there. A ton, right?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

But Atkins doesn't have you count calories, right? In the original Atkins plan, they just tell you to eat until you're full. I would imagine that anyone not counting calories while they are losing the weight won't count them during maintenance either. Bear with me, I'm not 100% familiar with the way it works.
    You have to have a maintenance plan, obviously. Whether that's to continue doing what you were doing to lose weight or something different. That's true of any diet. You're ascribing problems to a low carb way of eating that doesn't have anything to do with eating low carb.

• peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

You have to have a maintenance plan, obviously. Whether that's to continue doing what you were doing to lose weight or something different. That's true of any diet. You're ascribing problems to a low carb way of eating that doesn't have anything to do with eating low carb.

When I did Atkins, the maintenance plan was simply to find the level of carbs that didn't cause weight gain or loss. You never counted calories, ever, just carbs, and you always ate until satisfied, so essentially Lexicpt would be correct in her understanding.
  • Lexicpt
    Options
    I'm not knocking Keto diets or anything. Just making a point that it isn't a quick fix, it's a lifestyle. I love carbs, so there's no way I could manage it. :)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

When I did Atkins, the maintenance plan was simply to find the level of carbs that didn't cause weight gain or loss. You never counted calories, ever, just carbs, and you always ate until satisfied, so essentially Lexicpt would be correct in her understanding.

But it's still not the reason anyone gains when they stop. If your goal is to find the number of calories where you don't gain, and you eat more than that, you gain. If your goal is to find the number of carbs where you don't gain, and you eat more than that, you gain. A lot of people on LC and keto don't count calories, because you don't have to be aware of the numbers to maintain or have a deficit. You just have to have the deficit. It's not a magic shield to prevent weight gain if you go over.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

But it's still not the reason anyone gains when they stop. If your goal is to find the number of calories where you don't gain, and you eat more than that, you gain. If your goal is to find the number of carbs where you don't gain, and you eat more than that, you gain. A lot of people on LC and keto don't count calories, because you don't have to be aware of the numbers to maintain or have a deficit. You just have to have the deficit. It's not a magic shield to prevent weight gain if you go over.

I thought we were talking about maintenance, not stopping. All bets are off when you stop. On Atkins (at least when I did it), all phases, including maintenance, required you to track and stay with your carb limit. Assuming you follow that restriction, the plan says to eat until you feel satisfied.
  • kriegmeister
    kriegmeister Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you haven't heard about it check out Mark Wissen's Primal approach. Its incredible because the whole point of it is not to count carbs and to effortlessly bring your body into a state of optimal genetic expression. Basically, if you don't eat grains, legumes and other inflammatory processed carbs-and stick to vegetables and fruits- its almost impossible to exceed a healthy 150g carbs a day limit because of the volume of the food itself. Its pretty cool.