Protein Powders

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    May I ask why you need protein powder?
    Do you have special protein needs that food can't cover?

fwiw, I've never found one worth the calories. I'll drink one in a pinch. But not regularly.

I actually heard it would be good to keep me full for longer, so I thought I'd try it out... lol. Do you think I should manage without it?
    Do you enjoy it?

If you're the average person trying to lose weight, I'd focus on foods I ENJOY eating (that fit my calories etc) that keep me full. Given that you have limited calories, why eat stuff you hate. Find things, among the foods you enjoy, that keep you full.
    That's been my approach all these years.

I like protein powders when they're good, but Im thinking about what you said.

I wasn't going to comment, but this made me pause. Your OP said, "So yesterday we got a protein powder for the first time..." I'm not sure how you know you like protein powder when they're good, if this was your first time trying one.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. It's fine as long as it's mixed; like with cottage cheese or greek yogurt.
  • paulinecardinalmitchell
    Options
    I have been using Protein Shakes to supplement my training for Marathons. I love my protein shakes they help my muscles recovery faster. I have used a lot of them and I still do. I love experiment with all kinds of different ingredients like Almond, Soy Milk (I do not use white milk at all), Fruits, Cinnamon, PB2, yogurt, real vanilla, it's fun to see what I come up with. I will always have my Protein Shake before my morning run!
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    rejectuf wrote: »
    Protein powder is a lifesaver for those of us who don't have a chance to eat actual food during the work day. Saves me from having to eat half a chicken for dinner every day.
    amen to this\. On another note has anyone tried optimum nutrition mocha cappuccino?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I can't have Optimum Nutrition... they can't guarantee that it's gluten free and I have celiac disease.

That brand does seem to be the one most recommended, and I can't seem to find one that comes in highly recommended for second best.

I'm still looking. I use protein shakes because, well, I like smoothies, and I want to supplement my protein intake.

I've tried Trutein Vanilla and wasn't thrilled with it. I'm on a tub of Quest Chocolate Milkshake right now, and while I love the texture, there's a stevia aftertaste that I just can't get past.

I'd love some recommendations.
  • shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

fwiw, I've never found one worth the calories. I'll drink one in a pinch. But not regularly.

I actually heard it would be good to keep me full for longer, so I thought I'd try it out... lol. Do you think I should manage without it?
    Do you enjoy it?

If you're the average person trying to lose weight, I'd focus on foods I ENJOY eating (that fit my calories etc) that keep me full. Given that you have limited calories, why eat stuff you hate. Find things, among the foods you enjoy, that keep you full.

I wasn't going to comment, but this made me pause. Your OP said, "So yesterday we got a protein powder for the first time..." I'm not sure how you know you like protein powder when they're good, if this was your first time trying one.

I tasted them before from friends, but it was my first time BUYING one for myself lol
  • shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Do you enjoy it?

I tasted them before from friends, but it was my first time BUYING one for myself lol

and I asked my friends for the names but I thought I'd ask here too.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Trutein is just amazing. Red Velvet Cake... heck all of the flavors.

ETA- You can order samples on the website to see which flavors you might like.
  • bailie_h
    bailie_h Posts: 1
    Options
    Gold Standard! Or BSN - my faves!
  • dterpsy
    dterpsy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I really like Bio-X Rocky Road. I mix that with just water and it's still amazing.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    BSN Syntha 6 in Strawberry Milkshake
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Do you enjoy it?

Oh, ok. I see, now.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    UMP Chocolate tastes just like Nestle Quik....so good. Best one I've tried hands down.
    http://ca.bodybuilding.com/store/beverly-international/ump.html?&_requestid=1337170
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Trutein is just amazing. Red Velvet Cake... heck all of the flavors.

ETA- You can order samples on the website to see which flavors you might like.

Mine just arrived tonight, I can't wait to try them! (already have the cinnabun which I love!)
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I haven't been a fan of protein powder in the past but today I had the Trader Joe's vanilla whey and mixed it with ice and unsweetened chocolate almond milk. It was pretty good. I'm always way under my protein goals so I think this will help.
  • paigeybabeyyy
    paigeybabeyyy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC vanilla and chocolate lean shakes. They generally taste good with water, which is surprising. You can also throw them in a blender with other fruits and Greek yogurt and that's just wonderful, too! Optimum Nutrition is also pretty decent, but I found I had to add milk to make it taste better. Hope this helps!
  • RJ0274
    RJ0274 Posts: 4,173 Member
    Options
    I use the CVS Whey protein powder and mix it with half a 11.5 oz. carton of Premier Protein Drink (chocolate or vanilla for both) and add some vanilla almond milk. Whiz it in a blender and to me, it actually tastes good - plus it provides about 45 gram of protein in one shake.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Trutein is good. Muscle milk, ugh, waste of money.

I like the chocolate premixed muscle milk
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    Trutein is good. Muscle milk, ugh, waste of money.

I like the chocolate premixed muscle milk

I haven't tried the pre-mixed, just a couple of the powders.

Trutein- already have and love the cinnabun. Tried the peanut butter marshmallow cookie tonight, didn't like it. Tried the Red Velvet tonight, it was really good, will be ordering a full size of this one! 7 more to go later in the week o:) (splitting each sample 3 ways, not a total piggy!)
  • jredling321
    jredling321 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Syntha-6 Cookies and Cream is my go to! Has a little less of protein (22g) than most powders, has more (200cal.) calories per scoop if you're looking for that..