Exercise for the super unfit?

Options
I tried jogging today. Not only did I discover that the route I wanted to go one was super slippery with mud, but also that I am even less fit than I thought.

My plan was 30 minutes, with 30 seconds of running for every song that played on my Ipod.

First song I actually did 45 seconds, second 30. Third I was in mud, 4th I was on more solid ground. But my calves and back were cramping up. I've had back pain that has put me in bed for days before. I didn't want that when I was out, especially without my phone. It was really demotivating to find that I couldn't even do that, but then I decided to come up with a new plan.

I have decided that until I get used to exercise again, 20 minutes walking with this routine, but stopping the jogging part when my back starts to tighten will have to do to start with. Eventually the amount I can jog should build up, especially considering it reminded me how important it was that I do my physio!

I also did a little bit of weights with my arms and I'm going to do a little pilates and yoga. So strength training I have a better plan for! (Even if the weights are fairly light).

I was wondering if anyone could recommend other, non-gym related cardio (I miss the cross trainer!) for people who are super unfit? Or is it just about evaluating my expectations?

Replies

• gonzanab
    gonzanab Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would say continue to do a walking routine, but if you have hills your area, try walking up those hills too. You could also try step ups or cycling.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you have a back injury? If so definitely consult your physician about how to handle that.

I think you are just making the very very common beginner mistake of trying to run too fast. When you jog go slow, when you think you are slow slow down a bit more and relax your body. Also get off the slippery route, its easy to mess things up when you slide and clench up to catch yourself.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Railuki wrote: »

I was wondering if anyone could recommend other, non-gym related cardio (I miss the cross trainer!) for people who are super unfit? Or is it just about evaluating my expectations?

Do you have access to a pool? Swimming is one of the best all-over exercises. Cardio and strengthening in one and it burns a lot of calories. Minimal stress on the joints and helps to strengthen the core which helps the back.

ETA: I agree, get off the slippery route until it dries up. I sprained my ankle walking on slippery mud back in December. Didn't do my knee or back any favors either.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Walking is very good exercise and what I do mostly in the winter. I am able to run a 5K+ but it beats up my joints and causes pain.

Now that the weather is improving I will be doing mostly bicycling.

Walking and bicycling is low to no impact and doesn't cause me joint pain the next day.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'd start with walking and ensure you are wearing proper shoes
  • MeganWillet
    MeganWillet Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I second swimming laps!
  • betsysjl
    betsysjl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    There are some great youtube exercise videos for unfit people. You can try some of them in the privacy of your home. I have really bad knees, so I started doing seated Zumba workouts, before graduating to the standing ones.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    You could also look at the couch to 5k program...you walk a few minutes, jog a few, then it builds until you can jog a 5k.

Start slowly though and build up your fitness!
  • paveni
    paveni Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem.. I had no stamina at all.. I could not push myself psychically I thought. But what did help was doing HIT. Running for a minute then jogging..( Which It seems that you were doing before anyway ) Make sure when you 'run' its at a speed which you're comfortable with.. don't over do it.. you'll become stronger definitely. Even if it means walking at a fast pace for a minute then stopping then doing it over again :)!
    I can now do it for an hour before I struggled at 5 minutes.
    Make sure you get everything checked out with your doctor if you're experiencing pains etc.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like Leslie Sansone "walking" videos. You can find some older ones on YouTube....newer DVDs at Target, Best Buy, etc.

With these you walk in place awhile, do knee lifts awhile, do kicks awhile....you just keep changing moves...but nothing is counted or linked together so you can go at your own pace.

There are Leslie DVDs with some higher impact (jogging, etc)...but you can do lower impact until you are ready. With back issues you should definitely start with small knee lifts and small kicks.

https://www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started with brisk walking (so I'd be slightly out of breath) and some swimming. After a month I started the C25k programme, which is kind of what you were trying today - run and walk intervals with the former building up over the weeks and the latter reducing. It worked brilliantly for me, I did my 1st 5k in Aug-13, 2 days ago I did a 33 mile multi-terrain ultra and in just under 2 weeks I have my first road marathon. I've also had none of the back problems (touch wood!) I used to have before I started exercising regularly and losing weight.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's great to be motivated to run. Serious kudos on that. :drinker: But it takes time. My suggestion would be to work up to 60 minutes of brisk walking first, and then move into a C25K type program.

• Railuki
    Railuki Posts: 5
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone!
    I did something to my back when I was 11 (12 years ago), and all doctors ever told me to do was rest it (Despite it being consistent!). I had to specifically ask to see a physiotherapist and within 2 weeks the constant ache turned into a tightening when I move too much, so I need to build some strength in my back. At points where I did more exercise it was less bad, so I just need to do my physio and build some back stamina!

I think I'll try some longer walking routes and see if my back can handle that normally for the full round before I try jogging it. I tried the C25k in the past, but I went straight into it without building up so I hurt myself. This time I will learn!

As for pools, I'll have to figure that out. I LOVED swimming when I was younger - unfortunately now that I am older it is a little more tainted with body image issues but I hope to work through those!

And now I will check out youtube for all those suggestions!

Thank you again
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    when i first started i got a rebounder, and just jumped while i watched tv. eventually i got an elliptical as well. if you have the money and the space (not that rebounder takes much of either) having something right in the house that you can just use for a few minutes whenever you are so inclined can make a big difference.

I also did a lot of barre classes and videos. the movements are small and dont put any strain on your joints, but it can be as hard as you want it to be.

when i first started i felt like i had no muscle tone at all and got out of breath just walking. I just did what i could but i made sure i did something at least 4 or 5 times a week. That was just under a year ago -- since then, I have lost 41 pounds and gone down 4 dress sizes (closing in on going down a 5th, actually)

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options

I highly recommend the program Couch to 5K. If you have a smart phone, get the app C25K by Zen Labs.
    The first time, I could barely, barely jog (fast shuffle, whatever) for 30 seconds and I felt like I was dying.
    But the intervals in the program are doable and it is broken up into manageable segments.

There's a C25K group here on MFP if you are interested.

A good video is Jillian Michael's "Beginner Shred" it is supposed to be an introduction to her famous "30 Day Shred" program. I think it is only 15 minutes (or 20, still very doable) and they show modifications.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    If you haven't exercised in forever, what you described is unreasonable.
    Start slow & low, increase very gradually.
    Walking is good. To increase difficulty you can go longer, or faster, or find a hilly route.

The first time I exercised (late in 2013, when I started getting serious about losing weight), I think I did 5 min on
    the treadmill, at maybe 2 mph and no incline. I felt like a complete and utter loser, but kept telling myself that if I
    overdid it, I'd get hurt and discouraged and I wanted to be able to keep exercising the rest of my life.
    So I did the stupid 5 minutes. :angry:
    Then I did 6. I kept adding 1 minute as I felt able, and when I was up to 15 or 20 I increased the speed a little.
    When I got up to 30, I tried the elliptical. It kicked my butt. Back to 5 minutes.

Now sometimes I do up to an hour on the elliptical, at around 5 mph.
    Sometimes (most days) I'll do up to an hour of hills on the treadmill. In the last couple weeks I've gotten up to level
    15 (of 20).
    Some days I'll do speed intervals, running at 7 mph (usually 30-40 sec), walking at 2.5-3 mph (usually 2-3 min.).
    Sometimes I'll go for a walk with a friend and we average 3.5-4 mph for a bit over an hour, including some pretty
    steep hills.
    Some days I'll ride my bicycle. (Woohoo!) I live 5 miles from work, so I plan to ride at least 1 day a week as long as
    the weather will cooperate. There are some hills both ways, so while I get some coasting I also have some challenge.
  • earlnabby
    Options

As for pools, I'll have to figure that out. I LOVED swimming when I was younger - unfortunately now that I am older it is a little more tainted with body image issues but I hope to work through those!

And now I will check out youtube for all those suggestions!

Thank you again

I had back issues and one thing that helped me was a water aerobics class specifically designed for people with bad backs. Good cardio, some strengthening, minimal stress on the joints, helped the back, and it was fun.

I really understand your feelings about putting on a swimsuit. The first time I did that and went to the pool was probably the hardest thing I did. I got over it quickly when I saw all shapes and sizes (and ages) at the pool. 102 lb. gone so far and I don't even think about it at all.

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

I just want to say--I know, no power in the 'verse can make someone feel automatically comfortable in a swimsuit again if they've convinced themselves otherwise. BUT. I promise you, at a pool for lap swim, *no one* is going to judge *anything*. Pool people, in general, are happy people who are happy to be in the pool and happy with pretty much everyone else at the pool. Remember, EVERYONE at the pool is running around in shiny lycra with a condom on their head. NOBODY is there to look cool. :)

And to repeat one piece of advice from upthread that I'm afraid may have gotten lost--when you do try running again, slow it down. I mean to the point where you want to put a paper bag over your head in embarrassment. That's honestly the best, safest, non-injurious way to go about building distance. It's kind of humiliating at first, but the results (which, yes, include getting faster!) are soooo worth it in the end.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Walking and try to find a set of stairs to climb like in a minimum 10 story building
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Remember, EVERYONE at the pool is running around in shiny lycra with a condom on their head. NOBODY is there to look cool. :)

These are words of wisdom I HAVE to remember. :D