This is why I weigh packaged food!

Options
2»

Replies

• shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    And what would a scientific calorie analysis reveal? Methinks this warrants awareness much more than obsession but to each, it's own :ohwell:
  • pinuprevival
    pinuprevival Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Frozen, pre-packaged meals are almost always under. As is canned corn, it says about 3.5 servings, but it's more like 2.5. :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

That's the thing though - it's almost never under.

Yeah. When I was in college I worked for a company that makes checkweighers, which are the high-speed scales used in food manufacturing to check the weight of the finished packages.

Having set up scales for a variety of companies, I can tell you that they are super concerned that the package not be underweight, because god forbid somebody weighed their food when they got home and found out the company had shorted them a few grams, which could get them in legal trouble.

If a package is under, it automatically gets kicked out as a reject.

They are a little concerned about the packages being over, because that means they're giving away free food. But they aren't going to reject a package that's over (unless it's way over, which would suggest a foreign object had ended up in the package), because that would be throwing away perfectly good product, and who's going to complain about getting extra food at no extra cost.

The data from packages being over gets sent back to the filling machine so they can't dial it in and stop giving away free food. But the overweight packages still get shipped.
    This just means more donut for me. No complainin' here.

Me either!

But just some information for the folks that assume it averages out over time with some packages being under and some over. It probably doesn't.

Yeah my 6-pack of sugared donuts should weigh 270g total (45g per donut).... and so far the lightest donut I've had was about 48g. I don't see that averaging out any time soon!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Frozen, pre-packaged meals are almost always under. As is canned corn, it says about 3.5 servings, but it's more like 2.5. :)

Canned beans too, because it counts the bean sludge ...er, liquid that most people DRAIN. Probably is counting the liquid the corn is in as well.

• gaurdgoose
    gaurdgoose Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I weighed a 14.5 oz can of green beans minus the juices it was only 7.5 oz's 2 servings not 31/2
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Ya I noticed last week that each slice of my bread was a noticeably different size. One was bigger (by 5g), the next smaller (by 5g), and back and forth. Usually I have two slices a day during work hours so the differences cancel each other out but I will definitely start weighing more pre packaged stuff now. Also, why the heck doesn't big brand mayo or whip cream have portions in grams?? My life would be so much easier if I could weigh all semi solids too!