Eat More Calories??

Options
I need advice. My calorie intake for a day usually runs between 700-900 (NO, I'm not anorexic, I promise). I only eat when I'm hungry, but the foods I eat are generally low in calories, since I'm health-conscious and vegetarian. I know I need to eat at least 1200 calories/day and that my body is probably in starvation mode, but how do you force yourself to eat more?
I don't let myself go hungry, I eat until I'm full, so I don't know what to do to fix this.
Can anyone help??

Replies

• kaylaCdewire1311
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more. If you don't your body goes into starvation mode, which is when it hoards all of the fat and doesn't allow you to lose any. You don't have to eat full meals.. just have a couple of snacks a day, like almonds or cheese, and make sure you eat three times too!! Good luck!!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Fill up on more calorie dense foods like almonds, peanut butter, bananas, apples, eggs, oatmeal, canola oil
  • ambercarley
    ambercarley Posts: 11
    Options
    I'd like to add more calories without adding a lot more fat. Can that be done?
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Just did some good research and MFP is not really accurate when it comes to setting calorie goals.
    MFP says i should be eating 1650 to lose 2lbs a week but its WAY to low for a man of my size and frame although i've lost 1.5-2lbs a week since the 1st of Jan 2011.

My BMR according to the Harris-Benedict Formula- 1937 if i did nothing but lay in bed all day or sleep
    My (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) TDEE is 3002 calories
    I've been eating aroud 1600-1800 which is way to low even though i'm losing weight every week.

Here is the formula to figure out your BMR and TDEE

Men: BMR = 66 + (6.23 X weight in pounds) + (12.7 X height in inches) - (6.8 X age)

Women: BMR = 655 + (4.35 X weight in pounds) + (4.7 X height in inches) - (4.7 X age)

Good Luck

TDEE Formula below

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options

Fat is a necessary part of healthy eating, but I understand if you already get your fat from other sources.

Greek yogurt has 80 calories and is very high in protein. Layer that with fiber one cereal, bananas and blueberries and you have a 200-300 calorie parfait.
  • ambercarley
    ambercarley Posts: 11
    Options

Fat is a necessary part of healthy eating, but I understand if you already get your fat from other sources.

Greek yogurt has 80 calories and is very high in protein. Layer that with fiber one cereal, bananas and blueberries and you have a 200-300 calorie parfait.

Thank you! I love yogurt w/ fruit, so I'll have to try this recipe. I get my daily fat from soy milk, some veggies, things like that... I just try to keep it where it should be. This should help! :happy: