Ladies: Dieting and menstruation

Options
I find that I can be very diligent and strict with dieting just fine until I'm premenstrual and when I start my period. I busted my butt this weekend with exercise and a good caloric intake and now I'm telling myself, it's okay to splurge a bit because you're crampy and feeling gross and you deserve it. Using it as a crutch, which a lot of times sabotages my healthy streak and habits.
How do you deal?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I usually eat at maintenance or a little above if I've got all the cravings ever and they won't back off. I've found that I can USUALLY stick with my regular meals but sometimes I just really want those cheeseburgers or that cinnamon roll and I go for it.

This time around I had a good 400 calories left over from my long run on Saturday so it'll level out over the two days.

If you know you can handle going kinda overboard just for 1-2 days, go for it. I tend to have quite a bit more chocolate instead of just my one treat. And I only do this during the first couple days.

I figure two days a month being a few hundred calories over maintenance won't do harm :)

~Lyssa
  • felluh
    felluh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Honestly the best thing to do is ignore it. I know, doesn't sound like much - but think about the pros and cons. Think about your sacrifices. What's one more worth?

Also, drink lots of water. It helps you feel more full. Staying hydrated will keep the headaches away, too, if you are like me and get them frequently before/during/after your period.
  • gonzanab
    gonzanab Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You could try to search for healthier options for what you may be craving too. I do know the feeling of getting a craving during menstruation, but it's best to either ignore them or go for something healthier than what you have in mind.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't treat my period as an excuse to go crazy with food. I stick as close to my calorie goal as I can. Sometimes I feel extra hungry and I am not going to worry about going over by 100 calories. I may eat 1 piece of dark chocolate, not a giant bag.
    I take a hot bath, a nap, or a pain reliever. I take vitamins. I continue to exercise... at least walking.
  • MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I remember reading some where that dark chocolate can actually help keep your blood pressure raised during your menstrual cycle. Which is why we always feel so hungry and crave salty and sweets. Your body does actually need that extra fuel. It recommended to eat that chocolate and rest. I mean come on we are shedding body parts. Just don't do milk chocolate and don't go too out of control. I don't see where a few days can hurt you that bad. Just keep exercising. Try walking or yoga during that week? Drink lots of water. Fuel your body.
  • simplyk8
    simplyk8 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For years I tried to "stay on track" on PMS days, and that inevitably resulted in way, way overeating when mood or cravings got me to a, "I don't care anymore! Screw 1200 calories! Screw losing weight!" place. Now I plan for extra calories those few rough days and since they are "allowed", I'm less likely to overeat.

The timing of this post made me smile as I'm right smack in the midst of PMS and woke up this morning already feeling the hangers. Good thing I've got plenty of calories to spend!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You burn a bit more calories during the luteal phase (2.5%-11.5% more.) One way to deal with that is to allow yourself to eat slightly more during that time. I usually find that I have 1-2 days when I am exceptionally hungry so I give myself around 200 calories extra on those days. Giving myself permission for 200 calories works better than trying to stay at the lower goal, cracking, and then going way over.

Here's a good review of how your cycle affects you: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/impact-of-the-menstrual-cycle-on-determinants-of-energy-intake-reseach-review.html/
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The better I eat and the more regular I exercise, I find that my PMS symptoms lessen or go away over time. The last two months have not been too bad for me. Sometimes I try ignoring it. Sometimes I have 100-200 extra calories over my goal. Sometimes... I let it derail me and I fall down the hole and then I spend months trying to dig myself out again (don't do that one). I really really feel consistency over time is what works the best. It isn't the exercise I get while PMSing, but the exercise I get all the other days of the month, month after month.
  • FernStroll
    FernStroll Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    it's okay to splurge a bit because you're crampy and feeling gross and you deserve it.

I don't generally do this kind of thinking. I don't tend to think I "deserve" food rewards for any condition, that's what made the problem in the first place. I will eat chocolate and candy occasionally, but will specifically not eat it if it turns up as a craving.

I essentially ignore the entire thing. Including that I'll exercise as normal, as even though it's painful, I know that exercising won't make it any worse than it already is.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If feel no different, except for the bleeding part. Can't say I have noticed any changes in appetite, mood or cravings. Diet and exercise stays the same from day to day through the cycle.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I crave chocolate like nobody's business. Other times you could wave it in my face all you want and I could totally resist it. But during that time of the month I'm craving it!
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to eat up to (but not over) maintenance when I'm feeling really PMS-y. It's only one or two days a month for me so it doesn't put me off track by much.

It really depends on what works for you. Some people don't have a problem sticking to their goal during their TOM. I'm already miserable so I allow it without feeling guilty.

I am careful about the foods I eat though - some things just increase the bloating and pain.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Work through it!
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm fine. I do my workout because it helps with cramps and might go over my calories just a bit. A few months ago I had a very rough time and sent my husband to the store for midol and the biggest chocolate cupcake he could find. He brought it home and I devoured it with a giant glass of whole milk. So I do my best and I don't feel guilty if I give in to my cravings. I get back at it the next day. It happens to the best of us.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I don't get hungry or have cravings during my period, I get all of that during ovulation and the luteal phase. I ignore it as best as I can.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I set aside 300 calories of my allotted amount for dark chocolate. Sometimes I do that aside from PMS too. :wink:
  • iambart88
    iambart88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You burn a bit more calories during the luteal phase (2.5%-11.5% more.) One way to deal with that is to allow yourself to eat slightly more during that time. I usually find that I have 1-2 days when I am exceptionally hungry so I give myself around 200 calories extra on those days. Giving myself permission for 200 calories works better than trying to stay at the lower goal, cracking, and then going way over.

Here's a good review of how your cycle affects you: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/impact-of-the-menstrual-cycle-on-determinants-of-energy-intake-reseach-review.html/

Yes, I've read research on this too that your metabolism is up during a portion of your PMS. I try to take that motivation as an opportunity to burn extra calories during my period when I'd rather sit on the couch. I tell myself that this is just working harder through the pain, but the rewards will be greater.
  • unniexo
    unniexo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't get food cravings or any physical cramping so I have been able to stick to my goals. However, I have really long periods and only get them a few times a year so it begins to really affect me emotionally towards the end. So I have to focus hard on not wanting to stress eat or binge drink.
  • Carpe_diem1983
    Carpe_diem1983 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input ladies :)
    Consensus seems you all try and just push through it and continue exercising without playing the P card.
    I have been skipping my group exercise classes on heavy period days but I'll try and toughen up I'm sure I'll survive!
    Dark chocolate is a great idea I'll try to have that on hand as my only splurge.
    I feel like I'm doing good and don't want to talk myself off track by giving permission to slack when TOM comes to visit
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am hungrier right before my period and I let myself eat an extra 250 calories/day or so to deal with it. I usually find exercise helps but I don't push myself as much on those days, either (when I do push myself I end up feeling the worse for it). I never lose the week before my period but as soon as it's over, I almost always drop a pound or two immediately.