21 day fix?

Options
I am thinking of starting 21 day fix wondering if it's worth the money. Any opinions?

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Love it! If you have problems getting your nutrition in line, this is a great place to start. I stilled logged my food here the whole time I did it. The workouts are great too. I use cardio and plyo as my cardio after I hit the weight room in the morning.
  • DanielleFloyd08
    DanielleFloyd08 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine uses it and said that she gets like 2000 calories with the program. I'm afraid of having that many when I've been eating only 1200 with mfp.
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it. The workouts are great and I think I'm starting to get the hang of the meal plan. I started round 2 today. If you are more interested in the meal plans, I would recommend pinterest. You can find EVERYTHING you need to follow the meal plan on Pinterest. However, the workouts are FABULOUS. They are about 30 minutes each. Sometimes, I find the person leading the exercises annoying, but I really like Autumn.

Round 1, I did not follow the meal plan close enough so I did not see much loss.
  • ritchiehl
    ritchiehl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I personally don't want to pay a company for over priced tupperware or DVDs. So this is what I did, keep in mind I suck at portion control and need help in that department. I got the exercise part down and know how to do that on my own so don't want or need the DVDs. I googled the hell out of 21 day fix until I found a website (see below) that tells you everything about it and how to do it on your own. Created an excel spreadsheet of how much of each "color" I should be eating (based on their calculator on the site). I converted that into grams (from oz). Bought a food scale. Weighed my food. Put it in my own containers. Nothing fancy about it. And guess what? It was significantly cheaper than the companies website. best of luck.

unlockweightloss.com/
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine uses it and said that she gets like 2000 calories with the program. I'm afraid of having that many when I've been eating only 1200 with mfp.

Why are you only eating 1200 calories? If you're going by the "2 pounds a week" "sedentary lifestyle" options you put into MFP to get your amount, there's a good chance it is way WAY too low.

My problem with the program is that while the exercises seem to be good for some people, dividing food into color-coded Tupperware wouldn't be sustainable for me. What if I want to go out to dinner? What if I don't feel like washing my Tupperware?

WHAT IF I WANT TO COMBINE GRAINS, VEGGIES AND FRUIT?!??!?!?!?

It honestly seems like a waste of money when MFP and some Google searches for proper portions and exercises can do just the same. Also... if you look around, you can find free alternatives for the program.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    those day 22 gainz tho
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    ritchiehl wrote: »
    I personally don't want to pay a company for over priced tupperware or DVDs. So this is what I did, keep in mind I suck at portion control and need help in that department. I got the exercise part down and know how to do that on my own so don't want or need the DVDs. I googled the hell out of 21 day fix until I found a website (see below) that tells you everything about it and how to do it on your own. Created an excel spreadsheet of how much of each "color" I should be eating (based on their calculator on the site). I converted that into grams (from oz). Bought a food scale. Weighed my food. Put it in my own containers. Nothing fancy about it. And guess what? It was significantly cheaper than the companies website. best of luck.

unlockweightloss.com/
    I was thinking of doing the same. I enjoy doing research and planning, so it's worth it for me to not have to spend all that money.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You don't count calories, it doesn't matter. You follow the portions. I'll let you know in about 19 days when I'm done. I plan to post before and afters.

I will tell you that I have never eaten so much food in my life. LOL. But, a few things about this are different than me eating on my own using MFP. I eat a *kitten* ton more fruits and veggies. And that probably makes a big difference. I'm only into day 2, but I slept better last night and I have more energy than I have had in a long time. So, for me, it seems to be working.

ZOMG WHAT ABOUT DAY 22!!

Ultimately when you stop using your fancy colour coded containers, you'll have to calorie count.

So OP - save your moola and use moderation.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    What if I don't feel like washing my Tupperware?
    Washing dishes is like one of my least fav chores

• Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,465 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    You don't count calories, it doesn't matter. You follow the portions. I'll let you know in about 19 days when I'm done. I plan to post before and afters.

I will tell you that I have never eaten so much food in my life. LOL. But, a few things about this are different than me eating on my own using MFP. I eat a *kitten* ton more fruits and veggies. And that probably makes a big difference. I'm only into day 2, but I slept better last night and I have more energy than I have had in a long time. So, for me, it seems to be working.

ZOMG WHAT ABOUT DAY 22!!

Ultimately when you stop using your fancy colour coded containers, you'll have to calorie count.

So OP - save your moola and use moderation.

What if you stop counting calories? You can't count for ever. Save the moderation talk if you can't answer OP.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »

My problem with the program is that while the exercises seem to be good for some people, dividing food into color-coded Tupperware wouldn't be sustainable for me. What if I want to go out to dinner? What if I don't feel like washing my Tupperware?

LOL glad I'm not the only one....this was the first thought that came to my mind.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of starting 21 day fix wondering if it's worth the money. Any opinions?
    You could save money by buying your own containers and just looking online for free what people eat. As for exercise, there's no specific program that works exactly the same for everyone, so results will differ. It's under $100, but the reality is that EVERYTHING they have on there has been marketed before. So essentially you're just paying $100 for plastic containers. The rest is FREE on the internet to learn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options

I don't think anything can really be fixed in 21 days in regards to health. But if it sets you on the path towards longer term healthy habits, then good. Just make sure it is that sort of thing, and not something that's going to give you temporary results followed by some sort of crash afterward.

• SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    There's a group here on MFP to support and encourage people who are using (and experiencing success) with 21 Day Fix and/or 21 Day Fix Extreme: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/103806-21-day-fixers

We're sharing resources, ideas, recipes, and more. Over 100 members and counting!
  • rbfl86
    rbfl86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I don't think anything can really be fixed in 21 days in regards to health. But if it sets you on the path towards longer term healthy habits, then good. Just make sure it is that sort of thing, and not something that's going to give you temporary results followed by some sort of crash afterward.

I agree with that statement, but this program is based on the idea that it takes 21 days to form a habit. I just started the program this week and i'm feeling really good about it... it's mostly about learning portion control and fitting in that 30 minutes of exercise into your schedule. I am totally out of shape and have never given any thought to the way I eat so this program is perfect for me to get started. I plan to do several rounds until i'm ready to step it up to something more intense!
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    rbfl86 wrote: »

I agree with that statement, but this program is based on the idea that it takes 21 days to form a habit. I just started the program this week and i'm feeling really good about it... it's mostly about learning portion control and fitting in that 30 minutes of exercise into your schedule. I am totally out of shape and have never given any thought to the way I eat so this program is perfect for me to get started. I plan to do several rounds until i'm ready to step it up to something more intense!

It depends on the person how long it takes to form a habit. For me, 21 days is still new. According to a few studies I've read, it takes over 2 months (on average) for a new habit to become routine. It really depends on the person, their behavior, their routine, etc.

If you're feeling great, that's wonderful. If you're finding success even in the short week that you've been following it, fantastic. Come back in the next cycle of the 21-day fix and let us know if those habits are still there and if you're still feeling the same. Let us know if you're still using the Tupperware and following the program.

As for portion control and exercise, you don't need to throw down money on a program seen on an infomercial for that. There are tons of free resources out there to teach people portion control. There are way cheaper Tupperware containers you can buy and label if that's something you need. There are scads of workout programs (free ones, too) that can do the job of purchasing the 21-day fix. Hell...go on Pinterest and you're inundated with information.

Why not just toss a few dollars down on a food scale? Why not just make it a habit of learning about proper nutrition, macros, micros so you don't have to rely on containers and a 16-page colorful guide?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    LOL, people always finding a quick weight loss scams!!

Me, I lost 121 pounds doing it the old fashion way, counting calories, yep and working out and now been maintaining for 7 months now!!
  • morganmt
    morganmt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think 21 Day Fix and the new 21 Day Fix Extreme programs are a great option if you're looking to form healthy habits and really dial in on both exercise and nutrition. I agree when others say that you can do your own portion control methods and hit the gym, but I like the idea of having some guidance, especially when first starting out. Actually, there's a Facebook group of people doing the 21 Day Fix together and it's led by the programs' creator Autumn Calabrese. If you're thinking about doing the program, I'd highly recommend joining that group! I can get you more info if you'd like :)