Top 5 Strategies for Staying on Track - Share?

Options
Hi guys;

Long-time lurker, first time poster. (Add me please! I require friends.)

I'm sure there are other threads about this, but I just wanted to get some tips from other people on MFP, especially successful people who are losing & maintaining.

What are the top 5 strategies that help you keep on track of the diet and exercise and general healthy things you're supposed to be doing?

I'll share mine (this is just what works for me):

1. I have this app called Way of Life on my phone where you put a checkmark when you do a good thing and an x when you do a bad thing, and it tracks the trends of your adherence to the various elements of goodness or badness by highlighting using green or red. I use it to track flossing (I have braces, it's an ordeal), exercising, and staying to my calorie goal.

For some reason the red bars are deeply upsetting to me on a psychological level, so that's helped a lot to deter me from skipping the good things. Plus it's simple to track.

This is my number one thing. I don't know why it works so well for me. Probably this: http://lifehacker.com/281626/jerry-seinfelds-productivity-secret

2. I eat approximately the same number of calories at each meal (250 for breakfast, 500 for lunch, 600-800 for dinner). Generally I can control myself better for breakfast or lunch and I have a little leeway later on when the hunger takes over.

3. I don't deny myself any one food. I want bacon, I eat bacon. Bacon every day. I want pizza, I eat pizza. I just have to stay within my daily calories. Otherwise I would rebel against the restrictiveness of it all and it would be utter chaos again.

4. I don't drink calories (except for coffee and occasionally red wine). It's just not worth it when I could be replacing those calories with actual food. Way more satisfying.

5. I drink TONS of good herbal tea. Zingiber ginger coconut tea from Teavana is almost as good as actual dessert.

What do you do?

Replies

• jatdh1753
    jatdh1753 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Long-time lurker, also first-time poster here as well. I just tried teavana's zingiber ginger coconut tea for the first time this past weekend and loved it! I also love your use of the way of life app, and will try to put that on my phone.

I'm meeting with a dietician once every three weeks which I have found to be really great at keeping me accountable. Past efforts at getting healthy have resulted in me doing really well for the first couple of months, and then falling off track and losing motivation. I'm hoping the additional accountability (and money spent!) will make a difference.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Starting to self sabotage after loss of 27 lbs. Need to lose 50 more. Really need the answers to this question!
  • hmthomas317
    hmthomas317 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    1. Don't drink calories. I gave up my two a day energy drinks and that helps so much. Now I drink my Crystal Light and save on so many calories and carbs.
    2. 10,000 steps a day. I always try to reach that goal. Some days it's easier then others, but still possible.
    3. Log every thing that I eat. Sometimes it easier said that done, but seeing the numbers makes me more accountable and I make better choices.
    4. Food prep. I try to always have healthy food prepped and easily accessible. It helps for days that are really busy with the kids. Plus it helps them make better choices as well.
    5. Have support. Getting healthy is a lifestyle choice, not a quick fix. Make sure you have the help and support you need. My husband is the biggest cheer leader I have.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    1. I eat a big breakfast that includes veggies, complex carbs and protein
    2. I weigh and measure almost all of my food (not lettuce and garlic, lol)
    3. I exercise regularly and do something I enjoy like kettlebell classes or walking
    4. I just keep going and try to find new ways to make food healthier and more delicious
    5. I don't feel afraid to change and focus on letting go of negative body image stuff that my mother taught me (she's wrong!)
  • cosmichvoyager
    Options
    Starting to self sabotage after loss of 27 lbs. Need to lose 50 more. Really need the answers to this question!

Do you know why you're doing this? look at that honestly and if you can't face it alone then reach out to someone you trust and respect. <3

• Sam_LJackson
    Sam_LJackson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1. Don't drink calories. I gave up my two a day energy drinks and that helps so much. Now I drink my Crystal Light and save on so many calories and carbs.

This is such a good one! I haven't been able to completely cut it out (caffeine and occasional alcoholic beverage) but it's so much more satisfying to eat your calories than to drink them.

• Sam_LJackson
    Options
    70 pounds lost. I've been maintaining for 8 months.

2) I weigh my food as much as possible to help prevent over-under estimating. I didn't want to get a scale at the beginning because I had the idea it was a bit OCD to be weighing everything. I was so wrong! It's so easy and It gives me peace of mind (I mean really...what is a cup of diced potatoes? Are they small pieces, large pieces, how big do I cut them? Do I cram as much as I can into the cup? Shake it and see if anything falls off? How big is 3-oz of chicken? A deck of cards? How big is that? Ack! That was too stressful for me, lol)

4).I make sure I get to eat my favorite foods. I really, really love sweets and desserts. Because of this, I pre-log a dessert for after dinner every day. It helps me avoid sweets throughout the day, if I can tell myself that I'm having a dessert later. Also, if they suddenly have cake at work, I can have a piece without throwing off my day. I just delete my after-dinner dessert and it balances out.

5) I remember that it's not the end of the world if I go over a bit once in a while. When I was losing, I had a 500 calorie (one pound a week) deficit built in. If I went over by 100 calories, I was still in a deficit and I was still losing weight. The red numbers may look bad, but there's no point in beating yourself up for the occasional slip up. Log it, close your diary, and move on to a new goal the next day.

Congratulations on the loss, that's amazing!!

#2 - Yeah, I could never wrap my mind around the deck of cards thing either, I have no visual estimation abilities. Bought a scale last week and it's been awesome!

#4 - This! I've been parceling out Easter candy for the last few days, weighing & eating, and it's made me so much less irritable and hangry.

#5 - I also go with this strategy and it's been working well, helps control the guilt.

Great advice!
  • Sam_LJackson
    Options
    1. I eat a big breakfast that includes veggies, complex carbs and protein
    2. I weigh and measure almost all of my food (not lettuce and garlic, lol)
    3. I exercise regularly and do something I enjoy like kettlebell classes or walking
    4. I just keep going and try to find new ways to make food healthier and more delicious
    5. I don't feel afraid to change and focus on letting go of negative body image stuff that my mother taught me (she's wrong!)

Always wanted to try kettlebell! I don't know if we have classes locally, but it sounds like something you could work with as an independent workout too.

#5 - Definitely - I feel like so much of weight loss is mental, the deciding that you're worth the effort to make a change. Glad you let go of the body image negativity!
  • almondbutterbay
    almondbutterbay Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My biggest one (that I started this month) is that I'm logging everyday even if I eat badly or go over because I have a habit of starting to log in the morning and if I mess up just deleting it and saying I'll start again tomorrow. I figure even if I go over at least now I'll know why I don't lose more weight or something the next month!
  • Sam_LJackson
    Options
    My biggest one (that I started this month) is that I'm logging everyday even if I eat badly or go over because I have a habit of starting to log in the morning and if I mess up just deleting it and saying I'll start again tomorrow. I figure even if I go over at least now I'll know why I don't lose more weight or something the next month!

Good one! I agree, all information is good information. If I gain one week, I want to know why.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Some of my strategies are similar and some are different than the others. I hope they can help someone. I've managed to lose 17 lbs in a "relatively painless" manner. Still hoping to lose a little more but I'm pleased.

1. I'm really loyal to MFP and have never skipped logging, even when travelling or on holiday. I started in Dec 2014. Even without wifi, I keep track.
    2. I prelog my meals (and obviously plan ahead) so that I can adjust accordingly, allow a treat or know that I need to ramp up a workout.
    3. I drink coffee, teas, quite a lot of water and wine (a glass most evenings). Sodas and sweet drinks have never been my thing, though.
    4. I work out every single day. I find it easier and less daunting to do 30 intense min at home each morning versus a huge 1+ hour work out three times weekly. I also don't always kill myself, as several exercise days might be an hour hike with my dog.
    5. High protein meals and snacks help keep hunger at bay. I like boiled eggs, plain Greek yogurt with fruit, cottage cheese, and I'm into making protein balls or squares using whey powder as a quick bite. Like some others, I eat lighter in the morning and lunch, as I eat with my family at supper.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I'm having a good round....so trying to think "what's different this time around"?

1. I weigh and log everything...good days, bad days, I log it all
    2. I weigh myself everyday...this helps me stay on track
    3. I exercise to feel better, tone up, but don't expect to lose lbs from it...that comes from eating less!
    4. I have been trying to visualize myself as a thinner person...think it into reality so to speak...positive self imaging
    5. Spending time on the message boards to get and give motivation
  • Sam_LJackson
    edited April 2015
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    Some of my strategies are similar and some are differnt than the others. I hope they can help someone. I've managed to lose 17 lbs in a "relatively painless" manner.

1. I'm really loyal to MFP and have never skipped logging, even when travelling or on holiday. I started in Dec 2014.
    2. I prelog my meals (and obviously plan ahead) so that I can adjust accordingly, allow a treat or know that I need to ramp up a workout.
    3. I drink coffee, teas, water and wine (a glass most evenings). Sodas and sweet drinks have never been my thing, though.
    4. I work out every single day. I find it easier and less daunting to do 30 intense min at home each morning versus a huge 1+ hour work out three times weekly. I also don't always kill myself, several exercise days might be an hour hike with my dog.
    5. High protein meals and snacks help keep hunger at bay. I like boiled eggs, plain Greek yogurt with fruit, cottage cheese, and I'm into making protein balls or squares using whey powder as a quick bite.

#4 - I do this too! Every day is the only way I could keep it up, if I tried to do it every few days I'd end up slacking.
  • cosmichvoyager
    Options
    A lot of good advice in this thread :)
    OP--try kettlebells! It will help you feel strong and confident. They're pretty popular so if you google around you might find a class, or look for videos on youtube and most gyms have them. You do need to be cautious with swings and proper form so you don't hurt yourself. Start at a low weight until you have the form down, when it feels safe and then too light you can move up a level in bell weight.

I haven't been losing very fast and have like 50 lbs to go but since I started kettlebells I'm feeling amazing and am surprised at how strong I am (40 pound bag of kitty litter? no problemo!).
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    1. Plan ahead. Pre log if you can. If you are going to a restaurant figure out what you'll eat before you have the menu in your hand.

2. I have designated times in which I eat. 7am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 6pm and 8:30pm. If it's not one of those time, I don't eat. Helps with impulse eating.

3. Make meals ahead of time. I do tons of prepping most Sundays. This Sunday and didn't and had to scramble for what to eat this AM. Went to Tim Hortons, chose well (within calories and macros) but my stomach still didn't like it and I paid for it. Rookie mistake.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Only been back on MFP for a month this time so these "strategies" haven't been long term yet but here goes...
    1. Logging everything (apart from tea, I just can't keep count) even if it's a big eating day
    2. Sticking to a form of exercise that fits my life so I know I can't make excuses. It's an exercise bike in my dining room/office/craft room that I can use while watching telly or reading my kindle. It's free so money isn't an excuse, it's indoors so horrid weather doesn't put me off and I don't have to leave the house so don't need a babysitter for the kids.
    3. I use the barcode thing and weigh my food when I can. If we eat out or at family's homes I guess but I can't be getting it too wrong as I'm losing.
    4. Made "friends" and joined the "community" on MFP to make it harder to quit and get inspired by other people's journeys.
    5. Not stressing and giving up over "bad" days. I knew Easter weekend would involve a big family meal, drinking with friends etc but I still entered it all and made sure to hold back the rest of the week. I still lost that week, didn't get disheartened, ate lots, biked lots and carried on with life.
  • daltonjsmom
    daltonjsmom Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    1. Prelog the night before.
    2. I get up super-early to prepare my morning smoothies, load the slow-cooker/prep dinner so when we get home from school we aren't grabbing and snatching anything we can find. Then I get my exercise finished early. If I don't exercise before the day starts, life tends to get in the way!
    3. Smoothies: I do all fruits, vegs, & seeds and occasionally a small amount of high quality protein powder. Very low in calories, but gives a ton of nutrition.
    4. Buy quality tools to help you! I am not a huge gadget-y person, but I did purchase a Vitamix mixer and a wonderful food processor with an adjustable slicing blade. The Vitamix makes smoothies, desserts, and hot soups. The food processor makes short work of chopping veggies and making homemade sauerkraut and other fermented foods. (Vitamix.com sells refurbished ones with a 5 year warranty and the processor came from Kohl's on an amazing deal, plus discounts and Kohl's cash.) Invest in a healthy lifestyle! I also have several nice slow cookers in varying sizes to "help" cook while we are away. I have cleaned out my kitchen of junk-y stuffy I'm not using to make room for them.
    5. I prepare soups and things like red beans & rice ahead of time and freeze them in pint jars to make 2 lunches. Either Ball or Kerr (one) has the markings on the side and a fill line for freezing.
  • courtneybrooke27
    courtneybrooke27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There's so much great advice here! Thanks everyone for sharing your tips and tricks :)
    My strategies to keep me on track have all been mentioned..
    1) Pre-logging a day (sometimes even two) in advance
    2) Weighing in at least once a week
    3) Logging EVERYTHING (goods days and bad)
    4) Meal prep once or twice a week to have healthy snacks and meals on hand
    5) Not depriving myself if I'm having a craving for something unhealthy (deprivation can contribute to an even bigger indulgence later),
    6) Schedule my lifting days, cardio days, and rest days so I know my weekly plan helps me feel organized.. most rest days I even prefer not to rest, if I have enough energy I still get some kind of exercise in.. I like to take advantage of my energy levels :)
    7) Don't keep bad stuff in the house. I know if I'm hungry coming home from work, I will eat the chips in the pantry as opposed to grabbing something healthy.. so I don't keep that kind of stuff accessible.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    1) I log everything I eat and my exercise to keep track and hold myself accountable.

2) Water, water, everywhere! I have several bottles of water going in my home and car and at work. Always drinking.

3) No food is off limits, keeps me from going crazy to eat something I like, I just work everything into my day.

4) I allow myself to be human, if I miss workouts, or I go over my calorie limit, I dont beat myself and give up. Instead stay the course and get back to it...not tomorrow..not Monday... NOW!

5) My friends on MFP are the most motivational and inspiring ever! This is my first time being involved and it has been invaluable to my journey!