Recommendations for a gps/hrm watch

Options
Hey guys, anyone have recommendations for a combination gps/hrm watch? Preferably that can sync wirelessly to something, bonus points if it also syncs to MFP? Oh, and if possible, reasonably priced, say under $200? I currently have a Polar HRM and a Garmin GPS watch and am looking to streamline.

I apologize if this has been asked recently, I used the search function here but only found older threads.

Thanks!

Replies

• jonyb1919
    jonyb1919 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking, I need one to :smile:
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the Polar M400. The version that comes with the HRM cost about $220 on Amazon. It has GPS and Syncs with MFP flawlessly, and it also acts as an daily activity and sleep tracker. I recently swapped to it from Garmin 310xt and love it.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Garmin FR220 probably does what you want
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Been using Polar for years, and recently got an M400. Bloody love it, although the GPS is a little iffy.
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Been using Polar for years, and recently got an M400. Bloody love it, although the GPS is a little iffy.

I haven't noticed any problems with GPS accuracy (no more than my old Garmin). Granted I have only been using it a couple of weeks.
  • Hellen04
    Hellen04 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I got a zephyr HRM that connects with bluetooth,your rphone and with MFP. I've had it for 4 years now and it's working still amazingly. I also believe you can get it for 40 bucks on aliexpress.com might take a while though or you can get it on eBay for 45-110. Just make sure it's compatible with your phone. I have an Samsung s5 I started off with the s2, s3 and the s5. Hope this helps anyone!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Polar M400
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    gsh0824 wrote: »
    I haven't noticed any problems with GPS accuracy (no more than my old Garmin). Granted I have only been using it a couple of weeks.

The accuracy's not as bad as some people make out, but I have a lot of problems with locking on and dropping signal, in the middle of Victoria Park, which is hardly nestled away.

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input so far. Looks like right now I'm looking at the Polar M400 and the Garmin Forerunner 220. Kinda leaning towards the Polar just because of the price.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 Garmin GPS watches over the years, base model to top of the line, and will probably always stick with the Garmin brand. I think that the FR220 model with HRM is definitely the best bang for the buck.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    thanks again for the input. Think I'll wait til I get my tax refund and maybe make my purchase then. Still a little torn between the ForeRunner220 and the M400. Ah, decisions decisions
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I vote for Polar M400 too. DC Rainmaker has reviewed it and if you go to the polar site you can see the updates that have happened recently.
  • NofatdaddyMike
    NofatdaddyMike Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Polar M400 here also!
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Microsoft Band here. I love it, and it's only getting better. Syncs to all the major phones, not just Windows. A new update was just announced today in fact -
    Microsoft has announced plans to add more tracking features on the Microsoft Band wearable fitness device, starting with an update on Thursday, April 23. The company also announced new updates for the Microsoft Health website that will go live on April 27.

In February, Microsoft added a Bike Tile to the Microsoft Band to track cycling movements. Today, the company announced more partnerships surrounding this feature:

"The U.S. Census Bureau reported the number of people who commute to work by bicycle has increased about 60 percent over the past decade. Building upon our Bike Tile introduction in February, we are thrilled to expand cycling functionality through partnerships with popular Bike apps, MapMyRide and Strava. Starting on April 23, Microsoft Band customers will be able to wear their device during rides and compare performance or share routes with other riders using these apps."

Microsoft Health users will also be able to track more categories of fitness data starting next week. Here's what will be added:

"Comparative Insights: Measures data such as daily steps, sleep, workout frequency and calorie burn and compares it to similar Microsoft Health customers based on body type (height and weight). Customers looking for motivation can use comparative insights as a benchmark to understand their health relative to similar people."

"Sleep Recovery: Good sleep is the foundation of health, and something everybody does and needs. Microsoft Band tracks the length and quality of sleep. Use the Microsoft Health web dashboard to analyze sleep restoration, sleep efficiency, and wake-ups, to find out how well the body restores its resources during sleep."

"Fitness Benefit: Track fitness progress using historical data to measure improvement over time."

"VO2 Max: VO2 max refers to the maximum volume of oxygen used during exercise, and is the primary indicator of cardiovascular fitness. Traditionally, measuring VO2 Max is cumbersome. Not anymore. Microsoft Band estimates VO2 max based on heart rate information. Now customers can track how their VO2 max increases as they improve fitness level and achieve their wellness goals, simply.".

"Run/Exercise Observations: Get more out of run and workout data with in-depth observations and insights. With a week of data, customers can determine which day of the week and at what time of day they perform best. Using historical data from as far back as five weeks, customers can track whether they're maintaining, progressing, or need to re-dedicate themselves. Analyze detailed stats to find specific aspects of runs and workouts that can be improved."

Finally, Microsoft stated that Microsoft Health users will be able to track track daily steps and calorie burn data with information provided via the company's iOS, Android and Windows Phone apps "in the coming weeks"

windowscentral.com/microsoft-band-receives-more-tracking-features

• jkleinhesselink
    jkleinhesselink Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar M400 after hours of research. So far so good. Got mine for $149.99 at Best Buy with price match to dell.com.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/102409-polar-users. This is also a great group for everyone using Polar! Join the discussion on polar specific products:)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm eyeing up the garmin FR225 when it comes out...
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I can definitely tell you that any HR/GPS that is recommended by any of the other posters would be a good investment.

As a FitBit Surge owner, I have absolutely nothing good to say about it. I spend more time swearing at it, so I can not in good conscience swear by it There are so many things that do not meet the advertised specs. Each type of tracking it is capable of in my experience is between 40% to 70% off. The GPS will be spotty on new routes that you take. Once you have gone on the same route more than 3-4 times it tracks okay. Battery life is advertised to be 7 days. I have to charge mine every 3 days when the low battery notification is sent, otherwise it stops syncing altogether. Currently I am waiting on my 4th Surge replacement to be shipped.

Once I am able to afford it I am thinking about the Microsoft band. Though I have not yet totally made up my mind.

Good Luck.