Appetite Suppressants?

Options
2»

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    2ChaCha wrote: »
    The question would be do you feel empty in OTHER areas of your life? Maybe the "never feeling full" is not the problem... It could merely be a symptom of something that has nothing to do with food. If thats not the case, just make sure that you are not eating because you are bored or need your mood to change. Also BELVIQ is a bit different than phentermine. You may want to ask your doctor about whether that would be a good fit for you. Best of luck! And know that there is nothing wrong with desiring to be filled... it just can't always be with unhealthy food!

Every area of my life is empty. I realize this, and it's something I've lived with for a long time and have pretty much just come to accept. The real problem, I believe, lies in that I don't think I will ever be able to fulfill any other part of my life until I look better. Until I'm out running 5k's and not spilling over my pants and out of my shirts, once I can wear a swim suit with any sort of comfort and confidence... Maybe then those other areas will cease to be empty. But until then, I don't really have any control over the other areas. I totally get the mental side of it. I really do. I may not be smart enough to use calorie trackers for any given length of time without getting frustrated and pissed off, but I'm fairly good at psychology. I realize it's all in my head and I'm the one making myself eat to much. But I also realize that I can't turn it off and I need help turning it off.

I understand because I (and many others) felt this way at one point as well. However, not to be harsh, but that is backwards thinking. It didn't matter how much I worked out or tried to eat healthy, until I cleaned up my life: got out of a toxic marriage, started from scratch, learned some humility and gratitude, etc. not one thing about my physical appearance changed.

It wasn't magic and it wasn't an "aha" moment. It took years of hard work and gradual changes for me to finally become health, inside and out. You say you have no control over other aspects of your life, but do you? We generally CAN make changes, but it's more that we're afraid to. What other things in your life would you like to change?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    There's help available if you seek it out. Lots of resources for free or inexpensive or sliding scale counselling, depending on your area and income. A few places to start:
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources

You don't have to do this alone.
  • aorzoff
    aorzoff Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How about Overeaters Anonymous, to start?
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I understand because I (and many others) felt this way at one point as well. However, not to be harsh, but that is backwards thinking. It didn't matter how much I worked out or tried to eat healthy, until I cleaned up my life: got out of a toxic marriage, started from scratch, learned some humility and gratitude, etc. not one thing about my physical appearance changed.

It wasn't magic and it wasn't an "aha" moment. It took years of hard work and gradual changes for me to finally become health, inside and out. You say you have no control over other aspects of your life, but do you? We generally CAN make changes, but it's more that we're afraid to. What other things in your life would you like to change?

Same experience here. I had to make a lot of big changes in myself and my life before I was ready to tackle my weight problems for real. I think I am finally in the right place for that particular challenge.

Okay so you want to be able to run a 5k. What have you done to start toward that goal? Are you getting out and exercising regularly? For me that meant joining a group activity where I would have other people t help me push past the pain and the sweat. It meant creating a network of supportive friends who never judged me and who were always focused on my positives. For me it took changing my career path to one that provided a better income which improved my standard of living. It meant changing my living situation so that coming home was no longer depressing. It took me years of hard work just to get to the point where I was able to face down that emotional drive to eat in order to feel better. Since I feel so much better in all aspects of my life that need to comfort myself with food is much less powerful.

Even then my first few days of calorie restricting was pretty hard. I recall the second or third day I had a conversation with myself. I said well you ignore all sorts of pain and push through it. You live every day with joint pain and don't allow it to stop you. So why are you going to let hunger pain prevent you from reaching this goal? After that it got a little easier to ignore. If you ignore the pain long enough it will go away.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    There are a few Binge Eating Disorder threads around, and also a Group here on MFP. It might be good for you to talk with others who have the same kind of experience and who can really understand what you're going through.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what's brought you to this point of emptiness in multiple aspects of your life. And I wish I could change the past for you, but I can't. What I'm seeing is very concerning behavior. From your avatar of the giant cow (which seems to be how you see yourself as you self-described as a "walking whale") to talking about not wanting to "whine" about your problems to a therapist even if you had the money. Seeking help isn't whining, it's brave--which is what you're doing here.

You don't seem to think you have any worth. And it seems you're connecting future worth to your size and ability to lose weight. I can tell you two things right now:
    1. ]the best appetite suppressant in the world (if there was one) won't help you, because you're already eating when you're not hungry. Your appetite isn't the issue.
    2. With your current mental state, turning yourself into Heidi Klum isn't going to change how you see yourself. And it won't change how others see you. Until you love yourself and think you have value at any size, losing weight isn't going to help. It's not magic. All that stuff that makes you feel this way will still be there 50 lost pounds later if you don't find a way to deal with it and move forward.

We're all on here to better ourselves, and vanity does figure into it. I'd be lying if I said it didn't. But if that's your what you're hanging your hat on, you're just going to keep disappointing yourself. Your whole life's not going to change the minute the scale hits that number. You do matter, just as you are. Right now. Not 20 pounds skinnier.

You have a son, for whom you obviously care a great deal. If you can't muster enough self-care to help yourself for yourself, please do it for him. He needs a healthy and happy mom. Mentally healthy, not skinny healthy.

You're located in the US--most cities and counties have social workers and mental health professionals that work on the cheap. Because they don't care about the pay, they care about the people. I could make a fortune in private practice--I live in Southern California, just think about all the potential clients out here! But I choose to work for the state. Where my impact is great and my paycheck is small. :wink:

Please consider changing your avatar ... It would be a start. :smile:

There are people who care about you, even us strangers on the internet. But you have to care, too.

• kriegmeister
    kriegmeister Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You should ask your doctor to have your Grhelin levels checked for the hunger and a whole blood panel done. Imbalances and deficiencies in hormones can cause very real physiological effects (andro/meno-pause, PPD, cessation of HRT, etc.). Stimulants will wreak havoc on brain chemistry.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,718 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I have no idea what's brought you to this point of emptiness in multiple aspects of your life. And I wish I could change the past for you, but I can't. What I'm seeing is very concerning behavior. From your avatar of the giant cow (which seems to be how you see yourself as you self-described as a "walking whale") to talking about not wanting to "whine" about your problems to a therapist even if you had the money. Seeking help isn't whining, it's brave--which is what you're doing here.

You don't seem to think you have any worth. And it seems you're connecting future worth to your size and ability to lose weight. I can tell you two things right now:
    1. ]the best appetite suppressant in the world (if there was one) won't help you, because you're already eating when you're not hungry. Your appetite isn't the issue.
    2. With your current mental state, turning yourself into Heidi Klum isn't going to change how you see yourself. And it won't change how others see you. Until you love yourself and think you have value at any size, losing weight isn't going to help. It's not magic. All that stuff that makes you feel this way will still be there 50 lost pounds later if you don't find a way to deal with it and move forward.

We're all on here to better ourselves, and vanity does figure into it. I'd be lying if I said it didn't. But if that's your what you're hanging your hat on, you're just going to keep disappointing yourself. Your whole life's not going to change the minute the scale hits that number. You do matter, just as you are. Right now. Not 20 pounds skinnier.

You have a son, for whom you obviously care a great deal. If you can't muster enough self-care to help yourself for yourself, please do it for him. He needs a healthy and happy mom. Mentally healthy, not skinny healthy.

You're located in the US--most cities and counties have social workers and mental health professionals that work on the cheap. Because they don't care about the pay, they care about the people. I could make a fortune in private practice--I live in Southern California, just think about all the potential clients out here! But I choose to work for the state. Where my impact is great and my paycheck is small. :wink:

There are people who care about you, even us strangers on the internet. But you have to care, too.

Hi OP! Please re-read the quoted post. Please do.

On one hand becoming healthier is a great goal, regardless of your motivation. On the other hand I can't help but feel that you will be more successful when you decide you are doing it for yourself. Because YOU are worth it.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Excersize and food logging. Knowing how many miles I need to go to burn off binge does the trick

7niqe7176k5y.gif
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    The question would be do you feel empty in OTHER areas of your life? Maybe the "never feeling full" is not the problem... It could merely be a symptom of something that has nothing to do with food. If thats not the case, just make sure that you are not eating because you are bored or need your mood to change. Also BELVIQ is a bit different than phentermine. You may want to ask your doctor about whether that would be a good fit for you. Best of luck! And know that there is nothing wrong with desiring to be filled... it just can't always be with unhealthy food!

Every area of my life is empty. I realize this, and it's something I've lived with for a long time and have pretty much just come to accept. The real problem, I believe, lies in that I don't think I will ever be able to fulfill any other part of my life until I look better. Until I'm out running 5k's and not spilling over my pants and out of my shirts, once I can wear a swim suit with any sort of comfort and confidence... Maybe then those other areas will cease to be empty. But until then, I don't really have any control over the other areas. I totally get the mental side of it. I really do. I may not be smart enough to use calorie trackers for any given length of time without getting frustrated and pissed off, but I'm fairly good at psychology. I realize it's all in my head and I'm the one making myself eat to much. But I also realize that I can't turn it off and I need help turning it off.
    Practice Technique to condition yourself to overcome the urge to binge.
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/7-mental-tricks-to-stop-cravings-now.html
  • Shashamane
    Options
    Can anyone suggest something to suppress my appetite (without getting judgy and hateful)? I don't mean something to make me feel full longer. I never feel full. I can be in physical pain and still not mentally feel full. It doesn't matter what I eat. Carbs, protein, fiber, drinking a lot of water... I'm never full, just gross with a constant desire to continue eating. I need something to absolutely destroy my desire to eat, something that will make it to where I have to force myself to eat something. I've been on prescription phentermine before, but my doctor will only prescribe for three months and then I have to wait a year.

• Shashamane
    Options
    Chromium.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Can anyone suggest something to suppress my appetite (without getting judgy and hateful)? I don't mean something to make me feel full longer. I never feel full. I can be in physical pain and still not mentally feel full. It doesn't matter what I eat. Carbs, protein, fiber, drinking a lot of water... I'm never full, just gross with a constant desire to continue eating. I need something to absolutely destroy my desire to eat, something that will make it to where I have to force myself to eat something. I've been on prescription phentermine before, but my doctor will only prescribe for three months and then I have to wait a year.

If you will pardon the assumption this feels more mental than physical. Maybe some therapy with someone who specializes in eating disorders?

As for filling, buy 5-minute oatmeal and eat it like cereal with cold milk. I swear that stuff expands like the foaming liquid snake I use on clogged drains! You feel FULL, but you have to wait a few minutes ;)
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    astgte wrote: »
    nothing will work if you dont have the mental attitude to go for it, to me its an addiction a lot like smoking or drinking, you just never could think past the next bite.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Hi OP! Please re-read the quoted post. Please do.

On one hand becoming healthier is a great goal, regardless of your motivation. On the other hand I can't help but feel that you will be more successful when you decide you are doing it for yourself. Because YOU are worth it.

Reread the re repost!!! We want to see your AVATAR CHANGED
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Honestly I purchase Thrive shakes! They cost $40 for a full canister and although they are not meant to be a meal replacement are extremely filling and do control your appetite so that you can make more rational food choices rather than eating everything in site. They work for me anyway...