What do you tell yourself when you slipped back?

Options
Can you share to me what do you tell yourself when you are unable to workout or was able to eat unnecessary food in a day or went over your calorie limit? How do you keep the motivation to yourself especially to days when you feel like giving up? Please I want to hear it. :)

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I take the Scarlett O'Hara approach: tomorrow's another day.

One day doesn't ruin anything. Easy to get back on track when you don't assume it's the end of the world.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its only a day?

i mean, really, its not a big deal. if you're having anxiety over it, you may be headed down a path to an ED and need to seek professional advice.

i went on vacation for a week and ate everything i could shove in my mouth and still only gained 1.8 pounds. whatever. no biggie.
  • skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Track it, face it, accept it, make a meal plan for the next day to actively move forward, maybe even prep my meals for the next day, and then just move on.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

One day doesn't ruin anything. Easy to get back on track when you don't assume it's the end of the world.

I'm reading Gone with the Wind right now :)

I take the same approach!

If I miss a gym day, I know I have 7 days in a week to complete 4 days of my primary training-so I find a way to work it all in. If I overate-I log it, or at least a good estimate, and move on. I'm still in a deficit so even if I over eat a whole bunch, I merely put myself in maintenance for the week. Could be worse.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    And I use the same approach if it's a couple of days. I don't freak out and assume all is lost. Just pick myself up, dust myself off and get back on the train, horse, bicycle, wagon, or whatever other metaphor you want to use....
  • ynarmous
    ynarmous Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Thank you for this! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You just need to look at the bigger picture for one thing...it isn't realistic to think you're going to hit every workout or be 100% on all of the time...if that is your expectation, you should start by adjusting that first and foremost.

I'm a pretty healthy and fit individual and eat pretty darned good nutritionally speaking...but life happens...I have kids and a wife and a home and a job, etc..these things need tending to as well and sometimes life interferes with my workouts, etc...but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. My health and fitness and nutrition aren't predicated on missing a workout here and there or having a less than stellar day nutritionally speaking...my health and fitness are predicated on what I'm doing most of the time.

Stop drowning in the minutia and look at the bigger picture.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ynarmous wrote: »
    Can you share to me what do you tell yourself when you are unable to workout or was able to eat unnecessary food in a day or went over your calorie limit? How do you keep the motivation to yourself especially to days when you feel like giving up? Please I want to hear it. :)

"Self, you weigh less today than you have for 5 years. Quitting because of one bad day would be stupid. No way are you giving up. Tomorrow is another day. Do better."
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    tulle-and-lace-sweetheart-neckline-wedding-dress-with-detachable-straps-ms028.jpg

I look at this and say "okay you can do this, it's only next June and it's drop dead gorgeous!!"
  • ynarmous
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You just need to look at the bigger picture for one thing...it isn't realistic to think you're going to hit every workout or be 100% on all of the time...if that is your expectation, you should start by adjusting that first and foremost.

I'm a pretty healthy and fit individual and eat pretty darned good nutritionally speaking...but life happens...I have kids and a wife and a home and a job, etc..these things need tending to as well and sometimes life interferes with my workouts, etc...but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. My health and fitness and nutrition aren't predicated on missing a workout here and there or having a less than stellar day nutritionally speaking...my health and fitness are predicated on what I'm doing most of the time.

Stop drowning in the minutia and look at the bigger picture.

Thank you for your reply! :)
  • ynarmous
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    ynarmous wrote: »

"Self, you weigh less today than you have for 5 years. Quitting because of one bad day would be stupid. No way are you giving up. Tomorrow is another day. Do better."

Yeap! You're right, there is no way of giving up! :) Thank you!
  • ynarmous
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I'm reading Gone with the Wind right now :)

I take the same approach!

If I miss a gym day, I know I have 7 days in a week to complete 4 days of my primary training-so I find a way to work it all in. If I overate-I log it, or at least a good estimate, and move on. I'm still in a deficit so even if I over eat a whole bunch, I merely put myself in maintenance for the week. Could be worse.

Thank you for this! :)