You CAN Spot Reduce

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it as "spot reducing" so much as it is "spot toning." Yes you CAN increase a particular muscle while ignoring the rest. You CAN focus on one part of your body while ignoring the rest.

People who continue the mantra "You can't spot reduce" are really talking about body fat, not muscles.

(Another myth busted: fat does NOT turn into muscle)

:smokin:
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    you can build muscle in certain "spots" to improve the amount of muscle vs. fat in those spots.

Sorry but this is not the same as spotreducing.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    You can tone areas up by building muscle in said areas. When people say "you can't spot reduce" they mean that doing crunches over and over WILL NOT burn the fat off your stomach (I mean unless you incorporate into a cardio routine- now we're talking) It will only build up muscle so that it may look like you are slimmer but to lose that fat you have to do cardio and eat clean.

Of course you need to eat clean and burn fat with cardio, but you can build muscle in certain "spots" to improve the amount of muscle vs. fat in those spots.

I just hear so many people so frustrated with certain spots on their bodies and people are not giving them helpful info regarding how they can improve those spots.

Okay... if someone tells me they want a flatter tummy, I'm going to tell them to do cardio and eat less and quit doing a thousand crunches every day. Because usually when people don't know what they're doing they only do "spot reducing" and don't look at the whole picture.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    in reality,

The body utilizes fat evenly, it doesn't know any better.

however, if you increase bloodflow to a certain area, there is a small possibility that a teeny-tiny insignificant extra amount of fat might be absorbed from that area. Not enough to be noticeable.

In the same vein of the OP's logic: If repeat use of a single limb really produced spot reduction, then there would be no typists with fat hands.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have even had a trainer tell me "you can't spot reduce" is a myth.

Oh, well then... ;)

Also, you're the one retorting with sarcastic responses.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    I knew I would get a lot of crap for this, but I don't see any of you who are opposing me giving any examples of why you think the way you think . I gave examples and I have discussed this with a trainer. No need to be hateful.

Who is being hateful and giving you crap? You asked for an explanation and multiple people have given it to you and you refuse to accept it.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I knew I would get a lot of crap for this, but I don't see any of you who are opposing me giving any examples of why you think the way you think .

It has been explained above.
  • Louttie
    Louttie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The reason for this is simple: a muscle does not own the fat that surrounds it. Sit-ups, for example, will definitely strengthen your abdominal muscles, but sit-ups alone will not get rid of the layer of fat that is covering the muscles. To lose fat anywhere on your body you need to burn calories by following a program that involves both cardiovascular training and weight training. In doing so, you will decrease fat stores throughout your entire body, including the problem areas.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You can tone areas up by building muscle in said areas. When people say "you can't spot reduce" they mean that doing crunches over and over WILL NOT burn the fat off your stomach (I mean unless you incorporate into a cardio routine- now we're talking) It will only build up muscle so that it may look like you are slimmer but to lose that fat you have to do cardio and eat clean.

Correct.
    I remember this debate in undergrad SO CLEARLY...because on the surface it makes no sense, if I do a billion lunges the weight will come off my thighs, it just seems logical.
    Certain areas of the body store different kinds of fat cells, some of which are more easily accessable for our metabolism than others. It's like having a cupboard full of cans. Your body is only willing to take out the ones at the front of the shelf, you can't make it reach behind the other cans to get the specific cans you want.
    There is study, after peer reviewed study, on how YOU CANNOT SPOT REDUCE. Anyone who tells you othhrwise might be trying to sell you something.
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Also- the 30D shred is a lot of cardio so that is why you burn fat. It also tones the body by incorporating strength but there is a reason that she tells you not to take breaks during the workout. It's to keep your HR up so you burn fat.

When I talked to a trainer about why I couldn't get the results I wanted, though I had been running for years, he told me I could spot reduce with certain exercises and that it was not a matter of me not getting enough cardio.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

Oh, ok. My body must be magic then.

:laugh:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I knew I would get a lot of crap for this, but I don't see any of you who are opposing me giving any examples of why you think the way you think . I gave examples and I have discussed this with a trainer. No need to be hateful.

No one has been hateful or given you crap for it. Also, there have been plenty of explanations, too. You're choosing not to see/believe them.

Btw, trainer saying it =/= fact.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    Also- the 30D shred is a lot of cardio so that is why you burn fat. It also tones the body by incorporating strength but there is a reason that she tells you not to take breaks during the workout. It's to keep your HR up so you burn fat.

When I talked to a trainer about why I couldn't get the results I wanted, though I had been running for years, he told me I could spot reduce with certain exercises and that it was not a matter of me not getting enough cardio.

You may have a skinny fat thing going on (don't take offense, its very common) then. Meaning, you have lost the fat but now you need to build muscle to look more toned. I can't help you any more than this.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Well, I guess then we have to bow to your trainer's knowledge acquired during their 4 hour online certification program.
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Correct.
    I remember this debate in undergrad SO CLEARLY...because on the surface it makes no sense, if I do a billion lunges the weight will come off my thighs, it just seems logical.
    Certain areas of the body store different kinds of fat cells, some of which are more easily accessable for our metabolism than others. It's like having a cupboard full of cans. Your body is only willing to take out the ones at the front of the shelf, you can't make it reach behind the other cans to get the specific cans you want.
    There is study, after peer reviewed study, on how YOU CANNOT SPOT REDUCE. Anyone who tells you othhrwise might be trying to sell you something.

I do not think the trainer was trying to sell me something. Came free with my gym membership. I suppose many trainers have different opinions though. I must say, I saw big changes in my trouble "spots" after doing what he recommended.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I think everyone is getting caught up in semantics, missing the truth of the what the OP is saying. She is actually referring to building muscles.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Could any of you tell me why you think you cannot spot reduce? I have even had a trainer tell me "you can't spot reduce" is a myth.
    Your trainer is wrong then. If they're telling you that, then they aren't well versed in the human physiology.

While in theory you CAN spot reduce (lose fat in an area with exercise), the article I read on it would requires continuous exercise on that particular area for at least 6 hours non stop. That also takes into consideration that there was no ingestion of food.

And if you train one body part and not another and that trained body part looks better, the reason why is because you're retaining muscle on the body part you're training and probably because the body part you're not training is losing lean muscle. You lose fat and lean muscle if that body part isn't trained while on calorie deficit.

Bodyfat is lost systematically. You lose 1%, you lose it from all over.

This is NOT disputed amongst Journals of Medicine. Anecdotal evidence and experience isn't evidence.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Correct.

I do not think the trainer was trying to sell me something. Came free with my gym membership. I suppose many trainers have different opinions though. I must say, I saw big changes in my trouble "spots" after doing what he recommended.

I am also a firm believer in fixing trouble spots with the right exercise, while avoiding the WRONG exercises.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    Damnit. I was hoping this post finally proved the opposite of what all the facts have shown over years and years of research. I guess I will go back to eating right, excersizing, and strenght training to slowly reduce my body fat percentage as a whole so that I look AWESOME at the beach next year.

I could really use the bangs head against the wall smiley right now.

Anyone care to post that for me?
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Of course you can spot reduce. It's called liposuction.