You CAN Spot Reduce

Options

Replies

• elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I knew I would get a lot of crap for this, but I don't see any of you who are opposing me giving any examples of why you think the way you think . I gave examples and I have discussed this with a trainer. No need to be hateful.

Are you reading the posts? I have seen numerous explanations and refernce links. /bonks head

I wrote this extreamly early on in this discussion because earlier on, no one was giving any references or explanations. Thanks though!
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    stop starting threads. the end
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I knew I would get a lot of crap for this, but I don't see any of you who are opposing me giving any examples of why you think the way you think . I gave examples and I have discussed this with a trainer. No need to be hateful.

There is a whole page of people giving you examples....
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    *Puts on seatbelt*

yup:smile:
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    SPOT REDUCTION IS POSSIBLE!!!

With liposuction.
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    dis-gon-b-gud.gif

hahahahhahaha

hahahahaha damn yall this is gettn:laugh: good.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Do your thing.....I agree with you; why would you even worry about what anyone else says.

because this is the interwebs, dammit
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Not to be controversial BUT, I think the poster has a point. Certain exercises can make certain areas smaller or larger, and certain conditions you exercise on makes a difference. I noticed this while watching the Olympics and noticed that the sport a person played determined body shape even more than race. I noticed that the female swimmers, while having serious muscle mass also had a fat layer for insulation. The ladies had large backs and slim waists. The gymnasts had wide waists and large thigh and shoulder muscles, but very low body fat. The type of exercise and the conditions you do the exercise on make a big difference in what areas get small or big. So, in essence, you can spot reduce, just maybe in a different way that people normally think of spot reduction.

This is very similar to what I am saying. If you do the correct exercises for your body, you can reduce areas.
    Thank you for posting this even if it was controversial.
    A lot of people hear things, read thing and believe things for a long time, and then when someone opposes if even a little, they jump on immediately saying it is wrong.
    I am just trying to give people hope that they can improve themselves when a certain "spot" is really bothering them. Because it has worked for me.

I think you guys are both describing how the type of exercise you do; the areas of the body your work affect body composition. This is actually about how muscle growth occurs in the targetted area. Unless very overweight your tummy will feel firmer to the touch and look better if you develop the muscles there but don't actually lose any fat.

This is not spot-reduction as that term is usually used but rather body-recomposition; changing the composition of the body through an increase in muscle mass.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You can technically spot reduce without lipo.

You just don't get to pick which spot gets reduced.

People who say your body reduces fat equally from all parts as you continue at a deficit are wrong - your body will pick certain areas to deposit fat first when you're at a surplus, and those are usually the same areas that your body chooses to burn fat when you're at a deficit. I have lost a lot of fat from my arms, legs, shoulders, and chest, but the stuff around the middle is extremely stubborn and it's not because I haven't been doing ab work.

You don't get to pick where the fat burns from - your body does that and it will not listen to you.

OP seems to have a lucky situation in that her body and her brain are in sync and she's losing fat from the places she wants to lose it. If she were to try and specifically lose from a different area, she'd realize this.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Geez, this thread might be life-changing. If this is how annoying I sound when I'm arguing for my incorrect viewpoint, I'm going to go apologize to everyone I've ever known in my life. Starting with my wife.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    Not to be controversial BUT, I think the poster has a point. Certain exercises can make certain areas smaller or larger, and certain conditions you exercise on makes a difference. I noticed this while watching the Olympics and noticed that the sport a person played determined body shape even more than race. I noticed that the female swimmers, while having serious muscle mass also had a fat layer for insulation. The ladies had large backs and slim waists. The gymnasts had wide waists and large thigh and shoulder muscles, but very low body fat. The type of exercise and the conditions you do the exercise on make a big difference in what areas get small or big. So, in essence, you can spot reduce, just maybe in a different way that people normally think of spot reduction.
    Shape is from genetics. You can't change the way your muscle or body shape is. You can "enhance" the muscles you already have by training them directly.
    And NO you can't spot reduce an area without surgery.
    On going thinking and misinformation like this without scientific clinical studies to back them up will just confuse people and cause desperate people on here to think it's possible.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    An angel from heaven wishes that the OP read this, for great justice:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/397447-can-i-reduce-fat-from-a-specific-part-of-my-body

Thank you for posting this! A lot of good information in there!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options

This is very similar to what I am saying. If you do the correct exercises for your body, you can reduce areas.
    Thank you for posting this even if it was controversial.
    A lot of people hear things, read thing and believe things for a long time, and then when someone opposes if even a little, they jump on immediately saying it is wrong.
    I am just trying to give people hope that they can improve themselves when a certain "spot" is really bothering them. Because it has worked for me.

What that is isn't sport reduction though. Spot reduction is getting rid of fat in one area of your body. For example: If spot reducing worked, I could do crunches all day long and run and have a 6 pack. No. Fat is burned form all over and, while crunches will help my abs, the fat on top of them is still going to cover them until my total body fat % is lowered.

Olympic athletes work certain muscles over and over and over again so they're bigger in different places. It has nothing to do with fat loss it has to do with the muscles they use.

You can improve an area to a certain extent yeah, but that's not what spot reduction is...
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I guess you are some genetic abnormality and you have managed to achieve what thousands of bodybuilders and fitness models have been unable to do in the last 50 years.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Shape is from genetics. You can't change the way your muscle or body shape is. You can "enhance" the muscles you already have by training them directly.
    And NO you can't spot reduce an area without surgery.
    On going thinking and misinformation like this without scientific clinical studies to back them up will just confuse people and cause desperate people on here to think it's possible.
    [/quote]

agreed
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    You still can't spot reduce. You can firm up muscles UNDER fat, but you can't spot reduce the fat.. sorry.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    You can tone areas up by building muscle in said areas. When people say "you can't spot reduce" they mean that doing crunches over and over WILL NOT burn the fat off your stomach (I mean unless you incorporate into a cardio routine- now we're talking) It will only build up muscle so that it may look like you are slimmer but to lose that fat you have to do cardio and eat clean.

Of course you need to eat clean and burn fat with cardio, but you can build muscle in certain "spots" to improve the amount of muscle vs. fat in those spots.

I just hear so many people so frustrated with certain spots on their bodies and people are not giving them helpful info regarding how they can improve those spots.

What you said here is EXACTLY what people are telling you: You are NOT reducing fat in these areas, you are simple changing the RATIO of fat:muscle. More muscle = less fat per unit volume of muscle. You are NOT reducing fat in that specific area, you are simply adding more muscle!
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options

Are you reading the posts? I have seen numerous explanations and refernce links. /bonks head

I wrote this extreamly early on in this discussion because earlier on, no one was giving any references or explanations. Thanks though!

No there were at least 3 explanations and a link to more information in the thread before you wrote this. I don't think anyone is hating though, just trying to get you to understand.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I think you guys are both describing how the type of exercise you do; the areas of the body your work affect body composition. This is actually about how muscle growth occurs in the targetted area. Unless very overweight your tummy will feel firmer to the touch and look better if you develop the muscles there but don't actually lose any fat.

This is not spot-reduction as that term is usually used but rather body-recomposition; changing the composition of the body through an increase in muscle mass.

THIS ^^^^^^ :flowerforyou:

Found someone else can read, absorb, and think critically. :laugh:
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I thought only balding men could spot reduce?