drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

Oh, ok. My body must be magic then.

This post is so perfect
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I do not think the trainer was trying to sell me something. Came free with my gym membership. I suppose many trainers have different opinions though. I must say, I saw big changes in my trouble "spots" after doing what he recommended.
    That one free training session for joining the gym is trying to sell you more training sessions.

Please don't make assumptions. My husbands work place provides a great gym. They have several free trainers ... no limit on sessions. Just a base price to work out there. The trainer I talked with graduated for the University of Kentucky. I am not saying everything he says is right, but he wasn't an idiot either.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is getting caught up in semantics, missing the truth of the what the OP is saying. She is actually referring to building muscles.

please.. .please explain to me how building something and reducing something are synonymous

Read the OP again think about it. :huh:

You missed her point AND mine now. Thanks for playing!
  • LisaGore1
    Options
    You CAN spot reduce with my miracle Unicorn Cream. It's $150 for a bottle of it. PM me if you are interested.

This statement has not been verified by the FDA. :wink:
    ROFLMAO!!!!! good one!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I may get a lot of crap for this, but I am so tired of people saying you cannot spot reduce.
    When someone asks, how can I lose inches off my stomach or asks for good arm exercises, please do not response "you cannot spot reduce".
    Weight training and programs like the 30 Day Shred really do help you "spot reduce", You can lose inches in particular spots by doing particular exercises. Otherwise, why to we kill ourselves with push ups and crunches? It is because they work.
    I have done 30 Day Shred several times and a lot of inches in places that were focuses on during the workouts.
    Another example, if I only weight train with my arms and not my legs, I will see a big difference in my arm "spots" lol, and not my legs.
    There is hope! You just have to work for it!

No you can't.

Your body doesn't say "she worked her arms today, lets take the fat from there for energy".

You are full of it.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I don't train abs, but if I wanted to, I can get a shredded mid section. Training a particular body part will not cause one to shed body fat in that particular area. Sorry, but your trainer is an idiot for thinking so and spreading misinformation. I would ask for a refund if I were you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Not to be controversial BUT, I think the poster has a point. Certain exercises can make certain areas smaller or larger, and certain conditions you exercise on makes a difference. I noticed this while watching the Olympics and noticed that the sport a person played determined body shape even more than race. I noticed that the female swimmers, while having serious muscle mass also had a fat layer for insulation. The ladies had large backs and slim waists. The gymnasts had wide waists and large thigh and shoulder muscles, but very low body fat. The type of exercise and the conditions you do the exercise on make a big difference in what areas get small or big. So, in essence, you can spot reduce, just maybe in a different way that people normally think of spot reduction.

Huzzah! Someone else is getting the point instead of hiding behind the mantra! :flowerforyou:
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is getting caught up in semantics, missing the truth of the what the OP is saying. She is actually referring to building muscles.

please.. .please explain to me how building something and reducing something are synonymous

Read the OP again think about it. :huh:

You missed her point AND mine now. Thanks for playing!

"Spot reduce" has a specific meaning, and it is not possible to achieve. What you're saying the OP meant is something else entirely, and several of the responses have said as much.
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    *Puts on seatbelt*

totally, scoot over :laugh:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You are wrong and your trainer is wrong.

Arrogance is an awful thing.
  • elle18287
    Options
    Not to be controversial BUT, I think the poster has a point. Certain exercises can make certain areas smaller or larger, and certain conditions you exercise on makes a difference. I noticed this while watching the Olympics and noticed that the sport a person played determined body shape even more than race. I noticed that the female swimmers, while having serious muscle mass also had a fat layer for insulation. The ladies had large backs and slim waists. The gymnasts had wide waists and large thigh and shoulder muscles, but very low body fat. The type of exercise and the conditions you do the exercise on make a big difference in what areas get small or big. So, in essence, you can spot reduce, just maybe in a different way that people normally think of spot reduction.

This is very similar to what I am saying. If you do the correct exercises for your body, you can reduce areas.
    Thank you for posting this even if it was controversial.
    A lot of people hear things, read thing and believe things for a long time, and then when someone opposes if even a little, they jump on immediately saying it is wrong.
    I am just trying to give people hope that they can improve themselves when a certain "spot" is really bothering them. Because it has worked for me.
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I knew I would get a lot of crap for this, but I don't see any of you who are opposing me giving any examples of why you think the way you think . I gave examples and I have discussed this with a trainer. No need to be hateful.

Um... are you even reading the replies that people are posting? There's about 4-5 examples above this comment... not to mention the following 2 pages of reasons.

If you ACTUALLY want to hear what people are saying, then READ please. If you are just trying to stir people up because you are bored, congrats.

:laugh:
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

Also, you don't have to eat clean to burn fat.

Third, I guess I missed the memo about Delicate Snowflake Friday.

Stated perfectly.

I got lean by lifting weights, doing little cardio, and didn't eat clean all the time. Hmmm...
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Also- the 30D shred is a lot of cardio so that is why you burn fat. It also tones the body by incorporating strength but there is a reason that she tells you not to take breaks during the workout. It's to keep your HR up so you burn fat.

When I talked to a trainer about why I couldn't get the results I wanted, though I had been running for years, he told me I could spot reduce with certain exercises and that it was not a matter of me not getting enough cardio.
    Lol, your trainer is spoon feeding you snake oil. And you bought it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I imagine the trainer actually said, "Your exercise program is very one dimensional, try doing other activiites and you will possibly see results in those areas that you wish to see results in."

No personal trainer would say that "spot reduction" is possible, but then again. . .
  • elle18287
    Options
    You are wrong and your trainer is wrong.

Arrogance is an awful thing.

Ok, who is arrogant? I am not. I research and I read forums and I don't pretended to know everything.
    Assumptions are an awful thing.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I knew I would get a lot of crap for this, but I don't see any of you who are opposing me giving any examples of why you think the way you think . I gave examples and I have discussed this with a trainer. No need to be hateful.

Are you reading the posts? I have seen numerous explanations and refernce links. /bonks head
  • wardlawd
    Options
    Do your thing.....I agree with you; why would you even worry about what anyone else says.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

No one has been hateful or given you crap for it. Also, there have been plenty of explanations, too. You're choosing not to see/believe them.

Btw, trainer saying it =/= fact.

This thread reminds me of the state farm commercial with the fake french model.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    An angel from heaven wishes that the OP read this, for great justice:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/397447-can-i-reduce-fat-from-a-specific-part-of-my-body