You CAN Spot Reduce

Options

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    in a nutshell YOU CAN'T SPOT REDUCE. but you can improve the appearance of a certain area with strength training.
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    Can we spot reduce this thread????

:laugh: :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    But...........you can change the appearance of a specific area through strength training?

Essentially, you can build muscle. The muscle will give the "spot" a better appearance once fat is lost. Muscle gain without fat loss doesn't though... it can just make the spot look wider.

^^^^And that is what most of us are looking to achieve when we say 'spot reduce'. It's the terminology is misused and misunderstood. Fat/ weigh loss we can't 'spot reduce' it comes off the body as we lose weight (predetermined genetically??). But once you start strength training you can 'reshape' some areas in other words you're building up muscles fibers to change the appearance.

When you start "building up" muscles, isn't the the opposite from "reducing"?

Not necessarily, unless you are "bulking up" to be in a body building competition. For women, it can still mean a reduction in the number on the tape measure.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Warning this is the result of abusing Unicorn Spot Reduction Cream

imagesCAZIOOSN.jpg
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I get what she is saying.

Sure, you cannot focus on WHERE you lose fat from. But, if you are consistantly losing fat and toning the muscles in a particular area while losing fat, as the fat goes, THAT area is smaller, because you ARE increasing muscle, If you have a lower BF%, which you get with more muscle, less fat, then even though you are just toning that area, it improves faster than others may.

It can be explained without being rude though. Not every one knows everything, so, when you get the chance to educate someone, why not do THAT instead of making that person feel like a fool for even suggesting the idea?

they tried, it didn't take and she wasn't all peaches and rainbows about being incorrect

I only saw a few people trying. Most people didn't even realize what she was saying. She was talking about a reduction in the measurement of a particular area. Everyone knows you can't pick which area to lose their fat. She wasn't talking about fat, she was talking about toning muscles. Some will say that's a "gain," and to be sure, that's correct, but it is also correct that a reduction in the number on the tape measure is still a reduction.

I read every page I know how it went down. She refused to listen and understand what the definition really meant, she wanted to continue to use the word that already had another definition instead of saying oh I was wrong and this is what I really meant. Hence people got pissy downward spiral from there.

I don't believe that any of "those people" actually read and absorbed what she actually meant. Instead they made assumptions and responded with snarky comments.

OP's first response was a sarcastic comment.

Also, OP is attempting (or at least was in the beginning) to refute a specific concept. You can just tell by the title of this thread where she is stressing "CAN".
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    My boobs have spot reduced. :wink:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    But...........you can change the appearance of a specific area through strength training?

Essentially, you can build muscle. The muscle will give the "spot" a better appearance once fat is lost. Muscle gain without fat loss doesn't though... it can just make the spot look wider.

^^^^And that is what most of us are looking to achieve when we say 'spot reduce'. It's the terminology is misused and misunderstood. Fat/ weigh loss we can't 'spot reduce' it comes off the body as we lose weight (predetermined genetically??). But once you start strength training you can 'reshape' some areas in other words you're building up muscles fibers to change the appearance.

YES! The term isn't exactly a variable to suit everyone's argument.
  • rlmadrid
    Options

women can't bulk up. we can strengthen (maybe that's the better word) muscles to improve appearance.

****ooops typo there added 'en' to strengthen

Women can bulk up. Not the same as men do, but with effort: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yKEB44ZkAQ
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My exercise physiology textbook uses the following example to debunk the myth of spot reduction:
    They studied professional tennis players and the differences between their dominant and non-dominant arms, by using high-tech body fat analysis methods. The circumference of the dominant arms were bigger, due to increased muscle mass from use. They tested the FAT on the two arms and found them to be equal. If spot reduction were possible, the tennis players would have lower body fat on the dominant arm, there was no evidence to support this.

I'm writing from memory, I don't have the specific passage handy, but I can post it later when I get home if anyone wants to see specifics, or thinks I am exaggerating the results. This is from a textbook- purely educational- there's no fitness program, diet program or anything else the authors are trying to sell.
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options

women can't bulk up. we can strengthen (maybe that's the better word) muscles to improve appearance.

Women can bulk up. Not the same as men do, but with effort: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yKEB44ZkAQ

^^^^^ I was being facetious in response to this > 'When you start "building up" muscles, isn't the the opposite from "reducing"?' somewhat condescending rhetorical question. It was heading int the direction of the age old debate on the forum where the woman says 'but I'm afraid of bulking up I just want to tone' and then all the men jump on here and make fun of us.

My whole point is that you can change your body through strength training.
  • rlmadrid
    Options

^^^^^ I was being facetious in response to this > 'When you start "building up" muscles, isn't the the opposite from "reducing"?' somewhat condescending rhetorical question. It was heading int the direction of the age old debate on the forum where the woman says 'but I'm afraid of bulking up I just want to tone' and then all the men jump on here and make fun of us.

My whole point is that you can change your body through strength training.

Fair enough. It just seemed to be extreme, I see what you were saying.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    My exercise physiology textbook uses the following example to debunk the myth of spot reduction:
    They studied professional tennis players and the differences between their dominant and non-dominant arms, by using high-tech body fat analysis methods. The circumference of the dominant arms were bigger, due to increased muscle mass from use. They tested the FAT on the two arms and found them to be equal. If spot reduction were possible, the tennis players would have lower body fat on the dominant arm, there was no evidence to support this.

You're so silly bringing research into this kind of thread. What were you trying to accomplish? LOL ;)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

You're so silly bringing research into this kind of thread. What were you trying to accomplish? LOL ;)
    LOL, I know, futility. But I thought I'd try anyway. It's a nice, visual, concrete example. Ohwell...moving on. :ohwell:
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You are wrong buddy. You cannot spot reduce its not humanly possible, yes you can do workouts (muscle wise) that target certain areas, however you will lose weight in other areas. Nice try with the argument but its not true
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Not to be controversial BUT, I think the poster has a point. Certain exercises can make certain areas smaller or larger, and certain conditions you exercise on makes a difference. I noticed this while watching the Olympics and noticed that the sport a person played determined body shape even more than race. I noticed that the female swimmers, while having serious muscle mass also had a fat layer for insulation. The ladies had large backs and slim waists. The gymnasts had wide waists and large thigh and shoulder muscles, but very low body fat. The type of exercise and the conditions you do the exercise on make a big difference in what areas get small or big. So, in essence, you can spot reduce, just maybe in a different way that people normally think of spot reduction.
    Yeah, the sport they play has an influence on their body shape. Sprinters have larger legs. Why? Because they have large leg muscles because in order to be fast over short distances, you need large/strong leg muscles. Gymnasts have large shoulders. Why? Because they spend a lot of time on their hands, which builds up shoulder strength. The exercises you do determine what areas get big, not the areas that get small.
    Swimmers do not have "slim waists" because they do a lot of ab work, which is the definition of spot reducing. Swimmers might appear to have a slimmer waist because their shoulders and backs are so large. This is NOT spot reducing. This is just an optical illusion. A woman with measurements of 40-25-40 appears to have a smaller waist than a woman with measurements of 32-25-32. Really, they have the same sized waist.

We are saying the exact same thing. Their are exercises you can do to make a body part smaller or larger. Some tummy exercises will strengthen your core and pull your stomach in. Spot reduction. You have reduced inches in that area. Their are leg exercises like squats that make the muscle bigger, and others, like yoga, that make the muscle lean. Don't argue with me. It's obvious. If you want to talk about lipid loss in a specific area, I wasn't talking about that. Thank you.
    No, we are not saying the same thing. You cannot do exercises that will reduce a body part, which is the definition of spot reducing!
    I did ballet and yoga for around 13 years. These are supposed to make you long and lean, right? Then why was I short and fat? When I started reducing my calories, training for a half marathon, and lifting weights four times a week, that's when I started to lose weight ALL OVER. When I was heavier, I did a lot of ab workouts. I didn't have flat abs. I do a lot of squats and deadlifts and such when I'm lifting, plus I run a lot and do yoga a few times a week. I don't have slim legs.
    Also, "Some tummy exercises will strengthen your core and pull your stomach in. Spot reduction."? I just sucked in my belly. My belly has been pulled in. That is not spot reduction.
    "Spot reduction refers to the belief, long viewed as a myth, that fat can be targeted for reduction from a specific area of the body."- Wikipedia
    What is it that you think spot reducing is? Because whatever it is, you're not right. Spot reducing is fat loss in a specific area.

All right then, you won the semantic argument. (sorry, just not that invested into debating), more interested in life. Have a nice day!
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Happy to see this thread still rockin'. Just got back from the gym - did LOTS of push-ups. Hopefully, that will spot reduce my pecs.

Wait...NO...that's not what I want. I'm doing this all wrong.
  • Delilah7
    Delilah7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    trainers are trying to make money......so of course they would say you can spot reduce.......
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    u can build muscle in certain areas, but you can't burn fat from certain areas. your body will burn it from wherever it wants. you have no choice in the order.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Lmao...The 30DS works EVERYTHING & you generally lose inches EVERYWHERE. Which is how most exercise programs work...even if you do, for example 6 Week 6 Pack, Jillian clearly says the point is to burn calories & fat on your ENTIRE body & that by lowering your OVERALL fat % you can begin to see a better stomach...

I REALLY suggest picking up a book & learning more about the human body before posting a completely bogus thread.
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    dis-gon-b-gud.gif

This is the only reason I clicked on this forum!