You CAN Spot Reduce

Options

Replies

• rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    And there's a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Elle accomplished exactly what they wanted to......got a thread full of drama.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have to go get my second work out in and do not have more time to sit on MFP!
    Everyone have fun calling me arrogant and stupid :)

Also, thank you for the kind words from several who posted and also for the messages from posters who were too afraid to post on the forum.... lol.

I have a genuine request, and I'm not saying this to insult you or attack you.

You should read the actual links provided in this thread. They have research that basically shows you that spot reduction does not exist to any meaningful degree whatsoever.

You should then either consider finding a new trainer, or at the very least, continue using your trainer for progress in your fitness goals but abstain from using your trainer as a source of information. It's downright scary that a trainer would fill your head with the notion of spot-reduction as this isn't even close to being a debatable dietary myth.

There ARE things that are sort of debatable like IF, nutrient timing, leucine dosing, etc -- but something like this is so trivially wrong that it's a massive red flag that your trainer would say something like this.

+1

Elle - what you are missing isn't that people don't think that you can change appearance by reducing fat in a specific area, but you can change the appearance by increasing muscle in that area (depending on the area), and genetics plays a huge role.

For example, if my goal was to decrease the amount of fat on my belly while keeping the fat on my *kitten* consistent I could exercise and say anecdotally that I accomplished this . . . because I did . . . but I accomplished this because my genetic problem area is my *kitten* and not belly. Your trainer is feeding terrible information.

Look at the links, read the scientific studies, don't just rely on "well that's what my body did" because when it's time for you to be ready for your body to do something else you're going to get frustrated and disappointed when it doesn't happen again.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    1670139_6379.jpg
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    1670139_6379.jpg
    hahaha!! poor spot!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    1670139_6379.jpg

That got me to laugh out loud in the middle of the office.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I agree that calling someone names is uncalled for. However, for some reason, OP, now understanding what "spot reducing" actually means, has not stated whether she still believes spot reducing is possible. In fact, she seems to still be defending the fact that spot reducing is possible and backing it up with the fact that people have said what she is saying is happening is possible even though those same people are specifically saying that it isn't spot reduction.
  • Techn0mancer
    Options
    If you could truly spot reduce, people that chew gum constantly would have very gaunt faces.. yes, you can spot train and the added muscle can make that area look better.. but adding muscle and not removing fat in no way can logically be considered a "reduction"

as for the "so why do we do pushups and situps then"? I do pushups to work my chest and I do situps to work my abs.. which is what those exercises are designed for

But the only way to spot reduce is through surgery
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    1670139_6379.jpg
    Laugh so hard, I snorted! :laugh:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I spot reduced! My pook disappeared:

179958_10151751504245607_165435170_a.jpg303367_10151751504375607_905840960_a.jpg

0 lbs lost.

With that being said I just exercised and my middle decided to look better and my waist and butt measurements are the same, so not really :P My hips got smaller though, but that's not exactly what I was trying to do...

With that being said I think this is what most people mean by spot reduce "how do you get your stomach to look better" etc? They just don't know how to go about asking it. There are obviously ways if you look at some of the before and after pictures of some people on this forum. I think thats why the questions continue :P

Cardio. Strength training. *poof* I have no proof of this however, this is just what happened to me. I'd love to stalk some ripped person around for a while and figure out the how do you get this part to look better figured out :P

This is exactly what I am talking about. Also, you look amazing! Go you!

She reduced her overall body fat and added muscle, she didn't "spot reduce".

I wish I didn't agree but I do hahaha. Anyway, I don't think I made my point clear.

The OP said spot reduce. Not fat reduce a spot.

Spot reduce means several things to several people is the problem. Many people think "how do I spot reduce my pear shaped body to be a hour glass" or "how do I reduce fat on a certain spot". The first one is impossible. The second one I don't think anyone realizes what they're saying and I don't think that's what they ever mean. I think they just want to slim down a part, which can happen, and many of them won't care if it slims other parts.

Man if I could transform my skeletal upper body to a ripped she woman and my lardy thighs to something where I could buy clothes proportionality to my waist keeping my waist the same size. That'd be the day. Alas, my boobs grow the fatter I get and I do turn into a hour glass but I feel like crap. I got to goal with boobs but the minute I started moving and feeling better my boobs fell off. Alas I cannot chisels my bones away or change where my lard likes to get stored lol.

I think the OP and a lot of other people who make these posts just don't know how to go about asking how do these people with large stomachs go from what they were to being one of the people with ripped everything everywhere. Especially the ones that didn't lose any weight. Because it happens.

Summary: Spot enhance boobs: stop moving and hope for jiggly fat boobs galore.
    spot reduce stomach: exercise, expect jiggly fat boobs galore to fall off
    thighs: I'd love you forever if you can tell me this one haha
  • Becky3701
    Options
    Aww love that. Lol
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I agree that calling someone names is uncalled for. However, for some reason, OP, now understanding what "spot reducing" actually means, has not stated whether she still believes spot reducing is possible. In fact, she seems to still be defending the fact that spot reducing is possible and backing it up with the fact that people have said what she is saying is happening is possible even though those same people are specifically saying that it isn't spot reduction.

OP is making her own definition for a word that already has a definition, she just wants spot reduce to mean that SOOOOO bad that she is going to go ahead and take those words and make them mean whatever she wants them to mean. So I am going to as well

You are all wrong spot reduce is when you get a stain on the carpet and you clean it with carpet cleaner :wink: ahhh the chaos of it all
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    1670139_6379.jpg

end.thread.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    only time i know of i spot reduced was with a well placed bag of ice on my monkey winker
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I debated on replying but I just can't help it, NO, you can't spot reduce...there is SO much scientific data that says you can't do this, everybody just needs to get over it already!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I spot reduced! My pook disappeared:

179958_10151751504245607_165435170_a.jpg303367_10151751504375607_905840960_a.jpg

0 lbs lost.

With that being said I just exercised and my middle decided to look better and my waist and butt measurements are the same, so not really :P My hips got smaller though, but that's not exactly what I was trying to do...

With that being said I think this is what most people mean by spot reduce "how do you get your stomach to look better" etc? They just don't know how to go about asking it. There are obviously ways if you look at some of the before and after pictures of some people on this forum. I think thats why the questions continue :P

Cardio. Strength training. *poof* I have no proof of this however, this is just what happened to me. I'd love to stalk some ripped person around for a while and figure out the how do you get this part to look better figured out :P

This is exactly what I am talking about. Also, you look amazing! Go you!

She reduced her overall body fat and added muscle, she didn't "spot reduce".

I wish I didn't agree but I do hahaha. Anyway, I don't think I made my point clear.

The OP said spot reduce. Not fat reduce a spot.

Spot reduce means several things to several people is the problem. Many people think "how do I spot reduce my pear shaped body to be a hour glass" or "how do I reduce fat on a certain spot". The first one is impossible. The second one I don't think anyone realizes what they're saying and I don't think that's what they ever mean. I think they just want to slim down a part, which can happen, and many of them won't care if it slims other parts.

Man if I could transform my skeletal upper body to a ripped she woman and my lardy thighs to something where I could buy clothes proportionality to my waist keeping my waist the same size. That'd be the day. Alas, my boobs grow the fatter I get and I do turn into a hour glass but I feel like crap. I got to goal with boobs but the minute I started moving and feeling better my boobs fell off. Alas I cannot chisels my bones away or change where my lard likes to get stored lol.

I think the OP and a lot of other people who make these posts just don't know how to go about asking how do these people with large stomachs go from what they were to being one of the people with ripped abs. Especially the ones that didn't lose any weight. Because it happens.

Summary: Spot enhance boobs: stop moving and hope for jiggly fat boobs galore.
    spot reduce stomach: exercise, expect jiggly fat boobs galore to fall off
    thighs: I'd love you forever if you can tell me this one haha
    what's a pook? \m/
  • Becky3701
    Options
    Aww love that. Lol
    Oops meant to copy spotty dog
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

OP is making her own definition for a word that already has a definition, she just wants spot reduce to mean that SOOOOO bad that she is going to go ahead and take those words and make them mean whatever she wants them to mean. So I am going to as well

You are all wrong spot reduce is when you get a stain on the carpet and you clean it with carpet cleaner :wink: ahhh the chaos of it all

In this case, I've got a few spots to reduce. ;)
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options

With respect, just because someone doesn't know what a term means doesn't mean it has many different meanings.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    1670139_6379.jpg

And the Gold Medal goes to.....! That's all folks.