You CAN Spot Reduce

Options

Replies

• chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You CAN spot reduce with my miracle Unicorn Cream. It's $150 for a bottle of it. PM me if you are interested.

This statement has not been verified by the FDA. :wink:

hahahahahahaha

If only it were that easy!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I spot reduced! My pook disappeared:

179958_10151751504245607_165435170_a.jpg303367_10151751504375607_905840960_a.jpg

0 lbs lost.

With that being said I just exercised and my middle decided to look better and my waist and butt measurements are the same, so not really :P My hips got smaller though, but that's not exactly what I was trying to do...

With that being said I think this is what most people mean by spot reduce "how do you get your stomach to look better" etc? They just don't know how to go about asking it. There are obviously ways if you look at some of the before and after pictures of some people on this forum. I think thats why the questions continue :P

Cardio. Strength training. *poof* I have no proof of this however, this is just what happened to me. I'd love to stalk some ripped person around for a while and figure out the how do you get this part to look better figured out :P

This is exactly what I am talking about. Also, you look amazing! Go you!

She reduced her overall body fat and added muscle, she didn't "spot reduce".

She spot reduced by reducing her last spot lol
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I spot reduced! My pook disappeared:

179958_10151751504245607_165435170_a.jpg303367_10151751504375607_905840960_a.jpg

0 lbs lost.

With that being said I just exercised and my middle decided to look better and my waist and butt measurements are the same, so not really :P My hips got smaller though, but that's not exactly what I was trying to do...

With that being said I think this is what most people mean by spot reduce "how do you get your stomach to look better" etc? They just don't know how to go about asking it. There are obviously ways if you look at some of the before and after pictures of some people on this forum. I think thats why the questions continue :P

Cardio. Strength training. *poof* I have no proof of this however, this is just what happened to me. I'd love to stalk some ripped person around for a while and figure out the how do you get this part to look better figured out :P

Maybe it was because you stopped eating the Oreos in the first pic. Kidding.
    Actually I ate them immediately after that pic, the whole box, I hit goal that day and had 1500 cals in oreos :P

Hah, that is hysterical.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    23lbns.jpg
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Hkq3c.gif
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat, so rather than try to spot reduce, you might just want to tone instead. This way, you'll tone up and not add all that heavy muscle and lose weight.

:laugh:
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I think there's good science/explanation as to why you can't spot reduce. You obviously don't believe that, OP....so my advice is keep doing what you're doing since its working for you. Perhaps you're just a bad *kitten*, fierce warrior in the gym and with your nutrition that you are burning fat ALL OVER (and not just in certain spots), but you notice it in spots because that's where you've focused your strength training. Who knows. You're obviously happy with your progress to date so keep doing what you're doing. Who cares if you can spot reduce or not (you really can't, but whatever), if your plan is working for you.
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Okay, i don't have time to read everyone's responses, but I do have a few things to add.
    I'm a personal trainer. My mom is a personal trainer and my boss is a personal trainer. has been a trainer for over 30 years. No, you can't spot reduce. You are referring to muscle gains in those specific areas. Body Fat isn't just in our bodies, sitting over our muscles and organs. It is interlaced with our muscles. Think of a piece of steak..... A bad cut will have more fat lacing through it. And a good cut will have very little fat in it with a lot more lean meat. Our bodies are the same. In order to "burn away the fat" we not only have to do cardio to get our metabolism up (which is what helps us burn cals), and eat clean, you do have to do some kind of strength training as well. We call it "The Triangle of Success" at our gym. Cardio, good nutrition and strength training all working together. If you prefer cardio, do intervals. (High Intensity Interval Training) 3min low intensity, 30sec-1min speed bursts for about 30mins. this will keep your body burning cals for up to 36 hours after (yes, even while you sleep). Yes, it works, I do it!!! Nutrition isn't just about eating clean, it's also about eating enough. if you don't give your body enough to run on, it's going to hold on to whatever we give it. And Strength training is obviously for muscle gains. If we do too much cardio ABOVE our target heart rate we do are to burn MUSCLE as energy, not fat!!!

Now, I'm not looking to start anything and I understand that everyone has their own opinion. This is mine. What I have learned through becoming a Personal Trainer. Through working out WITH a Personal Trainer for over a year and SHADOWING at my gym for the past about 7 months.
    If anyone has questions about my response, please PM me.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be surprising that the spot reduce idea continues as "truth" - it's what we really want to hear, isn't it? How many spot fat reducing creams, sit up contraptions, muscle-stimulating belts and targeting exercise programs do we need? I can tell you: a lot. We must LOVE them!

Someone is buying these. And I doubt it's just a few people buying a lot of the same products. The staggering number of these products sold dictates there must be a segment of MFP users who have bought into the idea of spot reduction.

The FAQ link already posted is good:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/397447-can-i-reduce-fat-from-a-specific-part-of-my-body
    There is a lot of information available to back up the notion that spot fat reduction doesn't happen. To me, it seems like common sense would also back that up - we'd see people with flabby arms, flabby legs and totally shredded abs. I haven't seen anyone like that. Even on the late night commercials. I suspect people are confusing spot fat reduction with a physical change in their bodies.

I can't even begin to make the case any better than what others have already said (including the excellent FAQ article). It sounds like the OP is set pretty firmly in his belief. And I think that's fine. Hopefully, debates like these - as tiresome as they are - will help other people that come to the thread looking for information. In that vein, it may be more productive to focus on posting information, links, references, etc. in a more general way rather than trying to convince one or two specific people.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat, so rather than try to spot reduce, you might just want to tone instead. This weigh, you'll tone up and not add all that heavy muscle and lose weight.
    ...:huh:
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat, so rather than try to spot reduce, you might just want to tone instead. This weigh, you'll tone up and not add all that heavy muscle and lose weight.

^^^^^LOVE
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    That's not spot reducing, that's building muscle. You CAN target which muscle you want to work. You CANNOT spot reduce fat. Maybe you'll look a little firmer and leaner with some extra muscle underneath, which is why strength training is important. But if I just do crunches, it doesn't mean I'm going to lose fat from that area. In all likelihood, I won't lose any fat, since strength training doesn't tend to be a huge fat burner in the first place.

Bingo! When I was doing crunches consistently was the last time I ever had a flat belly. My Dr. told me not to do them after my c-sections, so I waited.....15 years. buwhahaha....:tongue:

LOL. To be honest, crunches barely work for me. I have to do some serious ab work to see results, but it is worth it! Feel free to friend me if you would like!

Request sent. You are alright in my book. :flowerforyou:
  • elle18287
    Options
    Hkq3c.gif

Wow.... people hate me today... but I love this. Thanks!
  • elle18287
    Options
    That's not spot reducing, that's building muscle. You CAN target which muscle you want to work. You CANNOT spot reduce fat. Maybe you'll look a little firmer and leaner with some extra muscle underneath, which is why strength training is important. But if I just do crunches, it doesn't mean I'm going to lose fat from that area. In all likelihood, I won't lose any fat, since strength training doesn't tend to be a huge fat burner in the first place.

Bingo! When I was doing crunches consistently was the last time I ever had a flat belly. My Dr. told me not to do them after my c-sections, so I waited.....15 years. buwhahaha....:tongue:

LOL. To be honest, crunches barely work for me. I have to do some serious ab work to see results, but it is worth it! Feel free to friend me if you would like!

Request sent. You are alright in my book. :flowerforyou:

• elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hkq3c.gif
    Soooo cute! But seriously if I could spot reduce, my boobs wouldn't be the fastest disappearing part of my body :cry:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Say that again?
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    Hkq3c.gif

Wow.... people hate me today... but I love this. Thanks!

I don't know where you keep getting the idea that people hate you lol relax...whether or not you understand this basic concept doesn't seem to be affecting your progress so keep doing what you're doing
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Say that again?

He's being a smartass. :laugh:
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Also- the 30D shred is a lot of cardio so that is why you burn fat. It also tones the body by incorporating strength but there is a reason that she tells you not to take breaks during the workout. It's to keep your HR up so you burn fat.

When I talked to a trainer about why I couldn't get the results I wanted, though I had been running for years, he told me I could spot reduce with certain exercises and that it was not a matter of me not getting enough cardio.

Have you asked the opinion of more than one trainer? Seriously - there are a lot of people right here who ARE trainers, professionals, etc....and they are telling you something different.
  • elle18287
    Options
    Unfortunately I have to go get my second work out in and do not have more time to sit on MFP!
    Everyone have fun calling me arrogant and stupid :)

Also, thank you for the kind words from several who posted and also for the messages from posters who were too afraid to post on the forum.... lol.