You CAN Spot Reduce

Replies

• rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Well I found my workout for the day. I'm going to go through this entire thread and do a squat for every time I see the word "spot".

Here's some more for ya...
    Spot spot spot spot spot spot spot spot spot spot spot spot spot spot...ha

:heart:

443 "spots" in the first 10 pages. I really didn't think this one through. I better get to it.

Tell you what love, I'll join you . 443 bodyweight squats today!

YAY! :drinker: I just finished them up. I think I'm going to start doing this more often when these sort of threads pop up. Next time: Lunges!

Congrats! Leaving work now so I'll tackle them at home :bigsmile:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    But...........you can change the appearance of a specific area through strength training?

Essentially, you can build muscle. The muscle will give the "spot" a better appearance once fat is lost. Muscle gain without fat loss doesn't though... it can just make the spot look wider.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Not to be controversial BUT, I think the poster has a point. Certain exercises can make certain areas smaller or larger, and certain conditions you exercise on makes a difference. I noticed this while watching the Olympics and noticed that the sport a person played determined body shape even more than race. I noticed that the female swimmers, while having serious muscle mass also had a fat layer for insulation. The ladies had large backs and slim waists. The gymnasts had wide waists and large thigh and shoulder muscles, but very low body fat. The type of exercise and the conditions you do the exercise on make a big difference in what areas get small or big. So, in essence, you can spot reduce, just maybe in a different way that people normally think of spot reduction.
    Yeah, the sport they play has an influence on their body shape. Sprinters have larger legs. Why? Because they have large leg muscles because in order to be fast over short distances, you need large/strong leg muscles. Gymnasts have large shoulders. Why? Because they spend a lot of time on their hands, which builds up shoulder strength. The exercises you do determine what areas get big, not the areas that get small.
    Swimmers do not have "slim waists" because they do a lot of ab work, which is the definition of spot reducing. Swimmers might appear to have a slimmer waist because their shoulders and backs are so large. This is NOT spot reducing. This is just an optical illusion. A woman with measurements of 40-25-40 appears to have a smaller waist than a woman with measurements of 32-25-32. Really, they have the same sized waist.

We are saying the exact same thing. Their are exercises you can do to make a body part smaller or larger. Some tummy exercises will strengthen your core and pull your stomach in. Spot reduction. You have reduced inches in that area. Their are leg exercises like squats that make the muscle bigger, and others, like yoga, that make the muscle lean. Don't argue with me. It's obvious. If you want to talk about lipid loss in a specific area, I wasn't talking about that. Thank you.
    No, we are not saying the same thing. You cannot do exercises that will reduce a body part, which is the definition of spot reducing!
    I did ballet and yoga for around 13 years. These are supposed to make you long and lean, right? Then why was I short and fat? When I started reducing my calories, training for a half marathon, and lifting weights four times a week, that's when I started to lose weight ALL OVER. When I was heavier, I did a lot of ab workouts. I didn't have flat abs. I do a lot of squats and deadlifts and such when I'm lifting, plus I run a lot and do yoga a few times a week. I don't have slim legs.
    Also, "Some tummy exercises will strengthen your core and pull your stomach in. Spot reduction."? I just sucked in my belly. My belly has been pulled in. That is not spot reduction.
    "Spot reduction refers to the belief, long viewed as a myth, that fat can be targeted for reduction from a specific area of the body."- Wikipedia
    What is it that you think spot reducing is? Because whatever it is, you're not right. Spot reducing is fat loss in a specific area.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    How is this thread still happening?

Are you sad that you can't think of a new snarky comment?

I'm sad you have nothing better to do then watch this thread closely and insult people.

I'm sad that I don't remember being snarky.

Now that is truly depressing. Spot reduce your sadness! :flowerforyou:

I reduced my sadness with a donut.

:laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    2 different people above you told you WHY you can't.

All you are doing is toning up the muscles. To get rid of the actual fat, to reduce the fat you have to have cardio and clean eat. Crunches and weights build muscle..

You "have" to eat clean to reduce fat? :huh:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    But...........you can change the appearance of a specific area through strength training?

Essentially, you can build muscle. The muscle will give the "spot" a better appearance once fat is lost. Muscle gain without fat loss doesn't though... it can just make the spot look wider.

^^^^And that is what most of us are looking to achieve when we say 'spot reduce'. It's the terminology is misused and misunderstood. Fat/ weigh loss we can't 'spot reduce' it comes off the body as we lose weight (predetermined genetically??). But once you start strength training you can 'reshape' some areas in other words you're building up muscles fibers to change the appearance.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member

^^^^And that is what most of us are looking to achieve when we say 'spot reduce'. It's the terminology is misused and misunderstood. Fat/ weigh loss we can't 'spot reduce' it comes off the body as we lose weight (predetermined genetically??). But once you start strength training you can 'reshape' some areas in other words you're building up muscles fibers to change the appearance.

When you start "building up" muscles, isn't the the opposite from "reducing"?
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    How is this thread still happening?

Are you sad that you can't think of a new snarky comment?

I'm sad you have nothing better to do then watch this thread closely and insult people.

I'm sad that I don't remember being snarky.

I'm sad that your Sad because you didn't know that she thought you were sad from not thinking of a snarly comment and that made you Sad. Not knowing why you were sad

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Well played.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    rub Unicorn poop on the target areas.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    I think the problem here is the OP and her trainer are both using the incorrect term for what they are talking about. Spot reduction means fat removal in a certain spot, which we all know doesn't work.
    It appears from later replies that she and her trainer are talking about body recomposition, which means overall fat loss and toning (or bulking up) of muscles in a certain area.

Next time OP be more careful with your terminology and then you won't get so much crap.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    I'm waiting for the OP to get back from her school so we can continue this entertaining thread!
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    You can tone areas up by building muscle in said areas. When people say "you can't spot reduce" they mean that doing crunches over and over WILL NOT burn the fat off your stomach (I mean unless you incorporate into a cardio routine- now we're talking) It will only build up muscle so that it may look like you are slimmer but to lose that fat you have to do cardio and eat clean.

Of course you need to eat clean and burn fat with cardio, but you can build muscle in certain "spots" to improve the amount of muscle vs. fat in those spots.

I just hear so many people so frustrated with certain spots on their bodies and people are not giving them helpful info regarding how they can improve those spots.

If spot reducing was possible, I wouldn't have a belly at 129lbs. I eat well, do cardio, lift weights & do ab workouts like crazy, yet no 6 pack. And that's because you can't spot reduce! The fat will come off when it does.
  • YOU CAN'T SPOT REDUCE
  • YOU CAN'T SPOT REDUCE. Period.

You can "spot build" the muscle but you can't "spot lose fat"

If you can, then please tell me how to spot lose fat in my thighs because I've built plenty of muscle in my legs but the fat is still there.. ; )
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    I knew I would get a lot of crap for this, but I don't see any of you who are opposing me giving any examples of why you think the way you think . I gave examples and I have discussed this with a trainer. No need to be hateful.

Oh yes, trainers know everything. If you've paid this trainer, you might want to ask for your money back.
  • I'm waiting for the OP to get back from her school so we can continue this entertaining thread!

LOL!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    1670139_6379.jpg

Laughed way louder than I should have!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Can we spot reduce this thread????
  • Medtech2004
    Medtech2004 Posts: 55 Member
    I gotta see how this ends up... ugh!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member

When you start "building up" muscles, isn't the the opposite from "reducing"?

women can't bulk up. we can strengthen (maybe that's the better word) muscles to improve appearance.

****ooops typo there added 'en' to strengthen