Logging a bite?

Options

Replies

• hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    themaybird wrote: »
    Presumably you eat the rest at some point, if so just log the whole thing once...

This. Log it all at once and then eat it throughout the week.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I quick add cals for every snacking and tasting i do. Like 50 cals per bite. Curbs snacking :P thats for sure!

I also add it because that shiz adds up fast. Went to costco on a saturday and i'm 99% sure i had atleast a thousand cals in samples.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm too obsessive so I had to stop taking bites of stuff. I measure or weigh everything before I eat it. It's the only way I can feel like I have things under control. Otherwise I'm like "Omg, I had food that I can't log, my whole day is ruined, eat all the things!"
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Sometimes, like in the case of sweets, 1 or 2 bites is enough to satisfy my craving for it. How the heck do you log a bite of something?

Also I should mention, that sometimes the food is in grams, while other times it's just one unit, like "One ice cream cone". (Yes, I take one bite from an ice cream cone haha)

Bite it. Spit it onto a scale, log it, then shove it back into your mouth. In the case of ice cream you may have to lick your scale to get it all back into your mouth.

Hahaha! Yeah, might not find it so appetizing after that anymore... :trollface:

Ya but seriously. Why would you just not weigh whatever it is before and after you bite it. Or maybe I am missing something.

Because, how do you log one bite in mfp if the serving size of a cone in the database is: "1 cone". If the bite is 5 grams...is that like 0.10 of 1 cone or something?

Are you talking about just the cone, or do you mean you are taking a bite of a cone filled with ice cream, thus eating ice cream and cone?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, like in the case of sweets, 1 or 2 bites is enough to satisfy my craving for it. How the heck do you log a bite of something?

Also I should mention, that sometimes the food is in grams, while other times it's just one unit, like "One ice cream cone". (Yes, I take one bite from an ice cream cone haha)

Bite it. Spit it onto a scale, log it, then shove it back into your mouth. In the case of ice cream you may have to lick your scale to get it all back into your mouth.

Ya but seriously. Why would you just not weigh whatever it is before and after you bite it. Or maybe I am missing something.

Because, how do you log one bite in mfp if the serving size of a cone in the database is: "1 cone". If the bite is 5 grams...is that like 0.10 of 1 cone or something?

Are you talking about just the cone, or do you mean you are taking a bite of a cone filled with ice cream, thus eating ice cream and cone?

I think she said "How the heck do you log a bite of something?"

I'm assuming she was using that as an example and probably is taking "1 or 2 bites" out of various foods.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options

It's a cone ice cream. Or ice cream on a stick or something. Like a Magnum.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options

My hat's off to you! I could in no way just take "a bite" of a double chocolate Magnum :lol:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    weigh the ice cream cone before you bite. call that number X. weigh the ice cream after you bite. call that number Y.
    (X - Y)/X = Z
    Enter Z into the "servings" field.
    Problem solved.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I would just quick add whatever I think the calories might be
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,892 Member
    Options
    weigh the ice cream cone before you bite. call that number X. weigh the ice cream after you bite. call that number Y.
    (X - Y)/X = Z
    Enter Z into the "servings" field.
    Problem solved.

Yep.

And I log everything. Interestingly, I've discovered that quite often, if it is going to be a pain to log for one reason or another, I lose interest in it.

• Leana088
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »

My hat's off to you! I could in no way just take "a bite" of a double chocolate Magnum :lol:

Well to be honest, when I buy a magnum, I take all the ice cream off the stick, place in a tupperware container, break the chocolate into the ice cream as much as possible, and freeze. When I have a craving, I take one or two bites with my little teaspoon and call it a day. When it comes to cones, same thing, I just crush the whole thing to tiny little pieces.

I'm also making Nutella fudge balls today. Which is teaspoon fulls of Nutella, refridgerated, and then when it's hardened, formed into balls. Hahaha
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    i would eat the whole cone to avoid the problem.
    Haha exactly!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,892 Member
    Options
    Well to be honest, when I buy a magnum, I take all the ice cream off the stick, place in a tupperware container, break the chocolate into the ice cream as much as possible, and freeze. When I have a craving, I take one or two bites with my little teaspoon and call it a day. When it comes to cones, same thing, I just crush the whole thing to tiny little pieces.

I'm also making Nutella fudge balls today. Which is teaspoon fulls of Nutella, refridgerated, and then when it's hardened, formed into balls. Hahaha

Well, then, that's easy.

My kitchen scale has a feature. I turn it on, set a bowl on it, and when the scale shows the weight of the bowl, I click the On button again, and it zeroes the scale. Then I spoon in my yogurt.

Get a scale like that (they aren't expensive) ... put a bowl on the scale, zero it, and spoon as much ice cream as you want into the bowl and thus ... weigh the ice cream.

You know how much one Magnum is, so if it is 200 grams (just guessing), and you eat 20 grams, you're eating 1/10th. Divide the calories for 200 grams by 10 and you've got the calories for your 20 grams.

Same with the nutella. Weigh your bowl, zero the scale, drop in a nutella fudge ball, and voila ... your answer.

• fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    OP do you own any scales???...why would you not weigh stuff if you do...lol.....if you do not have any...and don't want any...then the next time you "break your magnum in to little pieces", count how many trips to the bowl you have...then devide by the full amount for said magnum.....same with your nutty balls........how many do you make from a full jar, divide a jars worth into how many balls you have.....

Or stop eating the bits....and have an Apple instead....or a grape if you like small things......lol....

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Ice cream cone is not really calorie-dense because it's light-weight and is 50 calories at most, so in the grand scheme of things you don't need to be accurate about one bite. If you don't feel like doing the math, just look at the cone and estimate how much you bit off. What's the margin of error in a bite anyway, 2? 3 calories? Even foods weighed and logged properly can differ by more than that due to varying compositions.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    (Yes, I take one bite from an ice cream cone haha)

does..not..compute
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It depends. A lick of my son's ice cream to stop it melting down the cone I'm not going to add but a teaspoon of Nutella I would.

A bite of cake - I can't be arsed to look that up or work it out so I either just have a slice and make it worth the effort or I don't take the bite!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its easy just make an educated guess, it adds up and you wnat to be accurate. Tbh soemtimes I cant be bothered, depends what it is.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    and this is why I don't take bites...if I get ice cream I eat it all...I mean really a small bar is what 200 calories.

If I were in your shoes I would just log it (ice cream bar) at the start of the week knowing I was going to eat it through the week.

Weekly calorie counts are more important than daily even monthly...so if you are over on a day but don't have to log the bites daily makes your weekly diary accurate...
  • Leana088
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll just quick add 100 calories. May be more may be less, but if it is, I only eat half my exercise calories back anyhow. So there's some cushioning. :)