College kid

Options
Hey all!!
I'm a current college student who gained a bit more weight the past few years than I would like. I'm 5,10" 170 lbs and would like to lose about 30 lbs. unfortunately, I am on the college diet... Cheap stuff is really bad for you. Any tips or recommendations? Thanks In advance!

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    What sort of cheap stuff are you eating?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating in the school cafeteria. Prices are usually reasonable and they usually have some healthy options.
  • captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Salad, salad, salad. Honestly, a salad with meat, greens and 1 Tbsp of dressing is doing to fill you up differently than a couple slices of pizza. Change 1 meal a day if you are looking to ease into it. And log everything. No matter what. 3'skittles? Log them. Good luck
  • ClarWebb
    ClarWebb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well like spaghetti, ramen, pizza, hamburgers, beer (just turned 21 a few months back and I love beer) , poptarts, things of that nature. Foods that are easy to grab and much while headed off to class or work.

I live off campus now and honestly my schools food is pretty unhealthy :/.

Thanks, I will try that out!!
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi grocery store nearby, start shopping there! Ours is awesome and I'm in a college town.
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Microwavable rice, veggies, and even pasta is what I've been living on. And popcorn. And yogurt. And ramen with broccoli mixed in. I've almost lost 40 lbs in a semester just by tracking what I'm eating, basically.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ClarWebb wrote: »
    Well like spaghetti, ramen, pizza, hamburgers, beer (just turned 21 a few months back and I love beer) , poptarts, things of that nature. Foods that are easy to grab and much while headed off to class or work.

I live off campus now and honestly my schools food is pretty unhealthy :/.

Thanks, I will try that out!!

so focus on what you're eating and take some time to learn to cook properly

you don't need to give anything up you just need to moderate and it helps to plan
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi, I gained loads in uni too. I'm in the UK so was boozing all the way through. (And studying!) I also worked in a pub and that didn't help.

Log it all. Weigh your portions. Look at other people's diaries (mine's open) for ideas.

Do you exercise at all? Makes a huge difference. Find something you enjoy and can fit in.

I have 3 kids and a part time job so not loads of money for food and evening meals have to be family food. Stews and soups are cheap to make and you load them with veggies and they will fill you up. Not that I've made stew for a while though. Eggs are cheap and versatile. Omelet with peppers and onion.

Sounds like you know what you should be doing but need a bit of support. Add me if you like.

I know some will disagree and say you shouldn't drink at all but what I did in uni with the booze calories was to switch from lager and cider to gin and slimline tonic or vodka and diet coke. Or alternate beer with water. I was drinking too much wine earlier this year (couple of glasses in the evening) and it all added up. I treat myself with gin now but still have wine - just got to juggle in more cardio those weeks!

• ClarWebb
    ClarWebb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everybody who replied to this! I think those are all great ideas! The idea of mixing ramen and vegetables is something I hadn't considered before! You all are right, just keeping a record of what I eat is key to making sure I make conscious decisions about what I eat. Again love beer, but I think megomerret had a great idea to alternate between beer and water.
    Just to keep track of it all! I am fairly active, but getting to the gym a few times a week with definitely help. Thank you all for the support, I appreciate it!