Recovery time = 6 months

Options
Hey everyone, I am currently recovering from a shoulder operation (full thickness labrum tear, bicep tenosis) and I have a 6+ month recovery time.
How many of you have had surgeries that limit your weight loss journey??? Because this is super frustrating!!!! I am looking for some motivation, perhaps some support? Either way, I would like to hear what you have to say :)

A few things about myself-
I'm 5'4 and very pear shaped, though I was in denial and thought for the longest time I was the hour glass shape that is so desired... lmao...
I went from being very active - 2 bartending jobs, volunteer firefighter, avid hiker, surfer,drinker,party dancing (you know, the kind that has a few shots of whisky then dances for hours by herself after kicking everyone else out of the bar and closing up)
I am now unable to work for 3-4 months. I sat on my butt in a recliner for a week and a half in a drug stated comatose after my operation.
I finally hit my high school record of highest personal weight - 180, depression has haunted me the last two years, and peaked after the operation.
Before my shoulder op, I could hardly fit into my turnouts at the department, and getting new turnouts is not something that we can just "budget because I overate over the holidays" if you know what I mean...

What I did about it, I mean, what I AM DOING about it....
I am currently walking and stretching, along with my PT. I average 8.6 miles a week, I use mapmywalk app on my phone and it really helps.
I watch my calorie intake, and even though I try to eat as healthy as possible (I feel like I have a pretty good sense of "healthy food") I am only human... but I still try to stay around 1200
Its not a goal to "eat back my workout calories" even though sometimes I do if I am hungry or if someone put food in front of me...
So far I am down 10lbs. Its not a lot, but its a start. I am hoping by the time I am fully recovered, I can join the mixed martial arts class in town and start lifting. It's more important for me to be strong and fit than it is to be thin and fragile. Not that thin and fragile is bad, I love it and think it's great and attractive and very lady like... however, I am not... lady like, much.. I just want to be a bad @$$ with a nice @$$

So, anyone who has had to work through a disability or the likes, please share!! I would love to hear your story, however long or short, THANKS!!

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Losing fat is more about not doing something ( eating ) then doing something ( exercise )
    Exercise is not mandatory to lose weight, so do what you can as your health allows.
    It may be helpful if you separate your goals and understand each one on its own merits.

Weight = calorie deficit
    Cardio exercise = endurance
    Lifting = strength

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Only surgery I had was when I was a few days old so can't help there.

But if your less active you will need to eat less. Simples I guess.

If you adjust your in take your weight lose shouldn't be affected too much should it.

I guess if it's just your arm/shoulder get out and walk etc exercise every other part of your body.

Do all you can to keep active with out aggravating your injuries. Rest it now and save extra months or weeks or year of pain or impairment.
  • ZiggySquish
    ZiggySquish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Losing fat is more about not doing something ( eating ) then doing something ( exercise )
    Exercise is not mandatory to lose weight, so do what you can as your health allows.
    It may be helpful if you separate your goals and understand each one on its own merits.

Weight = calorie deficit
    Cardio exercise = endurance
    Lifting = strength

Categorizing it like that is helpful, thanks for your post :)
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I swim for exercise, had a simple hernia repair, and was given a complimentary case of MRSA causing a 4 month recovery and absence from the pool. It sucked, but I got over it, and found other things to do during recovery. Started using the elliptical, and did chair aerobics... the intensity of that workout surprised me. You can still watch how many calories you eat, and can walk or do some limited dance... surprise yourself with what you can do, rather than concentrating on what you can't.
  • ZiggySquish
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Only surgery I had was when I was a few days old so can't help there.

But if your less active you will need to eat less. Simples I guess.

If you adjust your in take your weight lose shouldn't be affected too much should it.

I guess if it's just your arm/shoulder get out and walk etc exercise every other part of your body.

Do all you can to keep active with out aggravating your injuries. Rest it now and save extra months or weeks or year of pain or impairment.

I agree, I really had to cut down on my eating after the surgery, something that I have almost always tried to avoid. The first few times I lost weight, and somewhat succeeded (for a short time) was when I ate almost whatever I wanted as long as I had a massive amount of cardio/strength training planned every week. This was, what I believed for many years, to be the key to my weight loss. However, now that I am more closely monitoring my cals in/out, I am starting to notice results w/o the strenuous exercise. I know it sounds like kicking a dead topic, but it really is just calorie deficit, and I am so glad I decided to just suck it up and count the darn calories.
    I was super grumpy for about a week, but after my body realized I wasn't working 10+ hours every day, it became pretty satisfied with the 1200-1500 cals I would allow daily.
    I am even trying to incorporate a fast, one day a week, which has helped me cleanse and feel more in control of my food cravings. It has also helped my dwindling food budget from no income :) I definitely appreciate food more now, and I am happy to have decided to do the fasting.

Thanks for your reply!
  • ZiggySquish
    Options
    Wenchiness wrote: »
    I swim for exercise, had a simple hernia repair, and was given a complimentary case of MRSA causing a 4 month recovery and absence from the pool. It sucked, but I got over it, and found other things to do during recovery. Started using the elliptical, and did chair aerobics... the intensity of that workout surprised me. You can still watch how many calories you eat, and can walk or do some limited dance... surprise yourself with what you can do, rather than concentrating on what you can't.

Holy cow! MRSA is terrible! I am glad you found other options, I have tried the elliptical and really like it, but I don't have access to one constantly. My sister has one and claims that it changed her life, she uses it almost daily!
    I have always wanted to get into swimming, but for now I will just keep up with my daily walks. Maybe I can start to hula hoop? That could be fun :)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I tore my triceps tendon off the bone in a cycling accident in Oct. 2016. I was out of commission for 4 months and was able to maintain my weight by managing my calories. I'm 5'3" and was 65 years old at the time. My maintenance calories at that time were about 1250, so it was a struggle sometimes to stick to the goal, but it's possible, and really a good feeling when you get the go-ahead to start training again and you haven't gained any significant weight! Best of luck - hope your recovery goes well and you're back to normal as soon as possible :)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Crap, necro thread :grumble:
  • ZiggySquish
    Options
    Well I am super happy your recovery was fast and successful! Low cal maintenance is very difficult when we are completely sedentary (especially when normally we are very active day-to-day)
    Congrats on your recovery B)