Protein Powders

Options

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I can't have Optimum Nutrition... they can't guarantee that it's gluten free and I have celiac disease.

That brand does seem to be the one most recommended, and I can't seem to find one that comes in highly recommended for second best.

I'm still looking. I use protein shakes because, well, I like smoothies, and I want to supplement my protein intake.

I've tried Trutein Vanilla and wasn't thrilled with it. I'm on a tub of Quest Chocolate Milkshake right now, and while I love the texture, there's a stevia aftertaste that I just can't get past.

I'd love some recommendations.

I use garden of life. Due to my food allergies and my bf's active crohns. The plant based one doesn't bother either of us, it isn't super high in protein like some of the more popular ones. But it tastes pretty good and blend easily
  • powerstaxx
    Options
    Dymatize iso-100 Banana Flavor. Magnum Quattro Vanilla and Chocolate.
    I personally like whey isolates, and hydrolyzed whey isolates, because of quality and absorption.
    But if your looking for taste over quality, then I'd suggest going with a mixed whey,which is gonna have some lower quality proteins,but will also have some fats,and carbs. ( which is why they will taste better ). So taste wise, I would say to go with BSN or MusclePharm. BSN makes a really good cookies and cream. MusclePharm makes a good Chocolate and Chocolate Peanut Butter.
    But again, this is only MY opinion.We all have different tastes.
    I've worked in the supplement industry for 2 years,so I've tried many different products.
    Hope that helps some.
    Best of luck finding one that suits you.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural *vanilla* is the most neutral-tasting of all the ones I've had.

Although I just switched to Met-Rx 100% Natural (also vanilla) due to cost concerns.

I have gone through some pretty nasty tubs... :s
  • Mari_Seattle
    Options
    I use Syntrax Matrix (currently chocolate & vanilla flavors). I'm not a big breakfast eater, and have trouble meeting protein targets. Per scoop: 2 g sugar, 2 g carb, 23 g protein and 110 cal. I mix it with some unsweetened almond milk & cold coffee for my morning mocha that keeps me full till lunch. Its yummy enough that I look forward to them in the mornings!
  • KSMussey
    KSMussey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Extreme Milk Chocolate mixed in 16 oz of coffee with coconut oil, butter and peppermint Stevita drops in a blender for a few seconds. Taste like a peppermint mocha.
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    May I ask why you need protein powder?
    Do you have special protein needs that food can't cover?

fwiw, I've never found one worth the calories. I'll drink one in a pinch. But not regularly.

I actually heard it would be good to keep me full for longer, so I thought I'd try it out... lol. Do you think I should manage without it?

Personally I find just eating chicken/fish/etc. more filling. Its personal preference.
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Muscletech NitroTech Whey Isolate +100 Vanilla flavor is very nice without any additions. Also GNC Pro Amp 100% Vanilla Icecream is very nice, but you can enhance its taste with tsp of cocoa powder. Be careful of MuscleTech 100% Whey isolate as it contains 3g of creatine per scope.
  • gonebeast
    gonebeast Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I take Mike's Whey, its unflavored and natural. It's from concentrate tho, check it out on amazon, 5lbs for 45 I believe
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I do Optimal nutrition gold standard chocolate and when I'm feeling crazy I add a tablespoon of pb and half soy milk half water to give it a "thicker" consistency <3
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK but ordered MyProtein's unflavoured Whey, and also ordered 2 x FlavDrops.
    1) Chocolate peanut butter
    2) Mocha

Mixed with Cravendale Skimmed Milk the Mocha tastes delicious (but i have a weakness for iced coffee which is why i ordered this one).
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Isopure? The stuff is expensive and supposed to be super high quality but I just can't drink that stuff. Tastes horrid. I would definitely say you try a sample of this before you buy.
  • annalchandra
    annalchandra Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Optimum Gold Standard is great. 1 scoop Milk Chocolate + 100ml milk + 3 ice cubes + 200ml water , all in the blender at a low speed = a yummy creamy shake. If you have a sweet tooth, just add some sugar free cocoa mix
  • lydiakitten
    lydiakitten Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use a whey protein powder available here in Greece, but it doesn't really taste that nice. Solution? After I shake it with 200-300g of low-fat milk, I put it in the refrigerator for a while. Every liquid tastes refreshing and neutral to me when cold enough.
  • rizlah01
    rizlah01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC vanilla and chocolate lean shakes. They generally taste good with water, which is surprising. You can also throw them in a blender with other fruits and Greek yogurt and that's just wonderful, too! Optimum Nutrition is also pretty decent, but I found I had to add milk to make it taste better. Hope this helps!

I use gnc iso-whey. Treated great blends well. It is pricey though. I never used it to loose weight. I'm using it to help me now build muscle after losing over 40kg of fat.
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried protein powder (Quest Vanilla Milkshake) I combined a scoop with water and shook it up in my shaker cup. I took a sip and almost spat it out all over my desk. I was horrified and thought I had just wasted $50. Then I read through the forums and hit up my local grocercy store. I now combine my protein powder with 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 3/4 cup of plain greek yogurt, and a teaspoon of cocoa powder or a pinch of cinnamon. 41 grams of protein and it is delish :)
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have an unflavoured whey protein powder which I blend into a shake with banana, ice, cocoa powder and water or coconut water. Tastes great, like chocolate milkshake.
  • lesliebunny
    lesliebunny Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try UMP Vanilla with almond milk. You can mix in whatever you want. Low in sugar. Tastes amazing. I drink one for breakfast before I work out because I hate having a lot of food in my belly if I am going to run. :-) It's made by Beverly International. Bodybuilding.com has it the cheapest that I have found.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Try UMP Vanilla with almond milk. You can mix in whatever you want. Low in sugar. Tastes amazing. I drink one for breakfast before I work out because I hate having a lot of food in my belly if I am going to run. :-) It's made by Beverly International. Bodybuilding.com has it the cheapest that I have found.

I use that powder too and Love it. I wish it came in a bigger container though.
  • kristenmcasey
    kristenmcasey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a little surprised I haven't seen it mentioned on here yet. I use Shaklee 180 shakes. I buy the vanilla and add mix ins like a frozen banana, scoop of peanut butter, and almond milk. You obviously need to watch what you're throwing in as the calories can add up quickly. It's my favorite lunch replacement!

For me, part of 'feeling full' is mental. I'm learning to have a drink of water first rather than cave to a snack. More often than not, that curbs that hungry feeling for me.
  • illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    Although I just switched to Met-Rx 100% Natural (also vanilla) due to cost concerns.
    I use this as well, but the Chocolate flavor. Have tried the PB/Chocolate Body Fortress stuff they have at WalMart, was ok but it left a funky after taste for me. The MetRx has good flavor, I use just water and a couple of ice cubes in my shaker bottle.