Food to feed muscle growth

Options
mo2go
mo2go Posts: 29 Member
Just getting started at Curves and have a lot to lose weight wise. I have been told I am not eating enough to exercise efficiently and recently have been finding that my leg muscles just feel like stones tied to my legs. I am aiming to lose over 5 stone and I am female, 57 yrs of age. I am fit'ish but too heavy to be health, I do walk a bit with the dogs and active enough for the general run of the mill life.

Can anyone suggest what I should be eating, especially just before going to the gym to help get rid of this feeling in my muscles after exercise.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Whey protein before your workout. Whey protein + carbs after your workout. You can do other protein instead, but whey is great because it has a fantastic BCAA profile and is quick absorbing.

Creatine will also help with DOMS if that's what you're experiencing.
  • mo2go
    Options
    Thanks for this. I'll look into it today.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I like higher carbs on lifting days and more protein on rest days. Niacin and potassium and a good amount of water don't hurt either. I typically cycle on and off of creatine, but notice it does reduce muscle fatigue. DOMS will be less prevalent the more consistent you are with your workouts. Also, foam rolling and stretching are highly beneficial on rest days especially.

Rigger
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Currently I do fasted cardio, but before I lift I like to have a smoothie- Frozen fruit, spinach, kale, whey protein, creatine, Greek yogurt, almond milk, almonds, moringa, goji. After I lift I usually eat a meal with lean protein, a carb, usually brown rice and quinoa, and vegetables.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Whey protein before your workout. Whey protein + carbs after your workout. You can do other protein instead, but whey is great because it has a fantastic BCAA profile and is quick absorbing.

Nutrient timing is irrelevant. Whey protein before and after is irrelevant to weight loss goals, and irrelevant in general. If you can get your protein needs from whole food sources, there is no need for whey protein.

OP, what is your caloric intake? Who told you that you aren't eating enough?

Focus on calorie intake for the day, as calories in vs out is all that matters for weight loss. There are no specific foods to eat that will change this.

• mo2go
    edited April 2015
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

Nutrient timing is irrelevant. Whey protein before and after is irrelevant to weight loss goals, and irrelevant in general. If you can get your protein needs from whole food sources, there is no need for whey protein.

OP, what is your caloric intake? Who told you that you aren't eating enough?

Focus on calorie intake for the day, as calories in vs out is all that matters for weight loss. There are no specific foods to eat that will change this.

Dieselbyte, thanks for the reply, been on holiday and now back to basics. On MFP I am on a 1500 intake per day but when I attend Curves and follow their plan I increase this to over 2000 per day. Hence everytime I do this I gain weight. Easy to say it will probably be muscle but when everything you put on dosent fit its like hitting your head of a wall and the circle starts again.

Have cleared my head on holiday and I have decided to keep on the reduced calorie intake to see what happens.