The greatest compliment

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    My favorite compliment is "You are such an inspiration" After I lost a lot of weight, I got this from people who were not overweight...I inspired them to get fit. That felt awesome

ETA The "Have you lost weight" compliment is also wonderful though

That's so funny, because this one makes me SO uncomfortable. I have no idea why, either!
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Years ago, after I had first lost weight, an "old" friend told me his dad didn't know me when I said hi to them at an auction. Dave was a big guy, and he asked me how I did it. I said, watching what I ate, writing it down, and "I walked my *kitten* off." He turned me around and whispered in my ear, "Literally."
    Best memory I have of Dave, as he died about four months later from Swine Flu at a very young age -- maybe 40?
    Kaye
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I stopped getting excited about people noticing or not when one of my colleagues noticed my mohawk for the first time...

I'd had a mohawk for 2 YEARS at that point... If it takes that long for a drastic haircut to be noticed, I'm amazed that anyone noticed my weightloss at all... and I work in a building full of nutritionists and dieticians... >_<
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My favorite compliment from somebody other than my husband so far has been from my sister-in-law who told me "You look really strong!" Yes, I do like being thinner but hearing that my hard work in the gym is paying off feels good.

When I get a comment like "you look really good" I get a bit flustered too. I'm not sure exactly how to reply so I just say "thank you very much" but then I don't know if I am supposed to elaborate or not.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite comments was when a stranger at the gym asked me if I was a personal trainer because "you look fit and strong and you clearly know what you're doing". It was awesome.
  • princessbride42
    princessbride42 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My favorite lately has been when I mention I count calories, or that I love eating so much, is when people say "you don't look like you need to do that" or "you don't look like you eat that much!"

I finally had to show my new coworkers my before picture so they would realize that I had some history with losing weight and becoming more healthy. Pretty awesome!
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    My favorite compliment is "You are such an inspiration" After I lost a lot of weight, I got this from people who were not overweight...I inspired them to get fit. That felt awesome

That's so funny, because this one makes me SO uncomfortable. I have no idea why, either!

Me too! Someone said this to me on a bike ride and I was mortified!
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The only person we should be pleasing is ourselves. However it is always nice for our efforts to be recognised. This does not have to be just in losing weight, but in anything we have strived to accomplish.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's really crazy, but one compliment that's always stuck in my head was after I received a compliment and replied with a big smile and a genuine "thank you!" the complimenter told me "Wow, it's so nice to meet a girl who can take a compliment and doesn't just deny it". It really stuck with me, and I've tried to pass that on to people. When someone gives you a genuine compliment, even if your own self esteem means you don't agree, just say thanks. Otherwise you're just telling them their opinion is wrong.
  • ZiggySquish
    ZiggySquish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It's really crazy, but one compliment that's always stuck in my head was after I received a compliment and replied with a big smile and a genuine "thank you!" the complimenter told me "Wow, it's so nice to meet a girl who can take a compliment and doesn't just deny it". It really stuck with me, and I've tried to pass that on to people. When someone gives you a genuine compliment, even if your own self esteem means you don't agree, just say thanks. Otherwise you're just telling them their opinion is wrong.

This is good advice for me, I'm pretty horrible at accepting compliments. I also have a hard time noticing weight loss/ gain in other people until it is very very noticeable. And I also don't like people complimenting me on my weight, it seems like every time I get to the point where I am doing great and looking "better" is around the time I end up falling off the wagon. So now I think I associate it with a bad omen, haha. Oh well, I hope to get back to the "complimenting" stage, still a long way to go!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    A recent one that I really liked happened when I went for a quick visit to my hometown. A friend of mine is teaching Zumba there at a new studio. The owner (very fit yogi) was helping me to fill out the release forms. There was a question asking participants to rate their general fitness level from 1 to 5, with 5 being VERY fit. He said, "Well, you definitely look like a 5."

I do? OK!

I get told two or three times a year that I swim like a Flamenco dancer. I don't really do Flamenco, but my grandmother did, and she taught me how to swim. Huge compliment for me. I've also had people tell me they want to film me swimming because I have a beautiful stroke...also very nice. :)
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

This is a good reminder. I was awful at accepting compliments when I was losing weight...about anything. I have gotten better even though I do fee awkward sometimes. When someone compliments my work ethic in the gym, I can accept that, it's the ones about my looks that I have trouble accepting. I guess that is from trying to be invisible for so long before I lost a lot of weight.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

Ditto.

I don't want to be someone else's inspiration. I don't want people to be depending on me to lose weight. What happens if I fail and gain it all back?

I know I'm probably reading too much into it, but that's what goes through my head. It's just a lot of pressure that I really don't need.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    People have been saying I've either been becoming leaner or I look more muscular
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    A friend half my size said she wished she had an *kitten* as good as mine. That was pretty nice.
  • KBurkhardt08
    KBurkhardt08 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I dont see a lot of my family too often so Im sure when they do see me they will say something. I just get happy when anyone says I look good, it doesnt even have to be about weight loss. Sometimes I bait my boyfriend into commenting on it. He likes to randomly pick me up and put me over his shoulder throughout the day and I asked if he could feel the 30 pound difference and he said he actually could. Made me very happy. :)
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've been getting comments everyday at work for the past couple of weeks, from different people. I personally love hearing it. My favourite one was one of the guys here, he's super fit and always at the gym when I am (we have a gym at work). He is a quiet, more serious kind of guy. He came up to me and said "I've been wanting to ask you, but didn't want to sound like a dick...have you lost a lot of weight??" It totally made my day.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Best compliment ever was when I was helping my husband move a 36" CRT television down a flight of stairs.

"You're so tiny, I keep forgetting how strong you are."
  • MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I went on vacation for a week and when I got back my mom made the comment that I am really losing weight and it looked like I have lost more. LOL She hadn't seen me in a week so I think she finally noticed how much I had lost.
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am about a month away from my follow up medical. During my last medical, the doctor said I was borderline fat and at the upper limit of my BMI. I really hope the nurse I saw last time will notice all the effort I have put in. That would be a nice compliment.