New, looking for advice on fat loss in stomach after surgery left me with no muscles there to work.

Options
I have has two stomach surgeries that have left me with no muscles to work with to lose weight in that area. Looking for some advice on what I can do to help lose the fat there.

Replies

• MarciRenee74
    MarciRenee74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The truth is you can't spot trim / spot lose weight - even if you had not had abdominal surgery.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Not 100% sure I read this right.

You can't spot reduce, so you don't have to utilize core muscles to lose stomach fat. Eat in a deficit and do the exercises you can. The fat is going to come off wherever your body decides, with the midsection usually being the last place.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What do you mean no muscles? I've had 5 abdominal surgeries - I still have muscles. And you don't need muscle to lose weight in a specific area. You need a calorie deficit for all over fat loss.
  • dmsherman5194
    dmsherman5194 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What do you mean no muscles? I've had 5 abdominal surgeries - I still have muscles. And you don't need muscle to lose weight in a specific area. You need a calorie deficit for all over fat loss.

I have read and been told over and over again including by trainers that once your stomach has been cut you lose those muscles leaving nothing to work with to tighten the abs back up. I have this over hang of skin and fat over the 12 inch area that was cut open that I cannot get rid of. What do you suggest for a calorie deficit for all over fat loss?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. Focus on your diet and you'll be able to lose fat.

As for the muscles of the stomach, after your doctor releases you to exercise, hit the weights (squat, deadlift, bench press, pull ups, and overhead press). The musculature of your core will develop to support that strength gain, and you'll retain more muscle as you lose fat.
  • tropic80girl
    tropic80girl Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I have read and been told over and over again including by trainers that once your stomach has been cut you lose those muscles leaving nothing to work with to tighten the abs back up. I have this over hang of skin and fat over the 12 inch area that was cut open that I cannot get rid of. What do you suggest for a calorie deficit for all over fat loss?

I have never heard anything like this. I have had 3 c-sections, a tubal, gallbladder removal... and that is just involving my stomach. Judging by all of the core workouts I have been doing and how sore I am the day after I'm pretty sure I still have muscle to work. Is it harder sometimes, yes, because it takes time for my body to heal from that, but it has and is healing. I also have the overhang, and it may be floppy and annoying, but it's getting smaller! If it never goes away and the weight has come off, then I will save to have it removed. Otherwise.. just keep working it! Calories in vs. calories out, and move your butt... that's the best advice I have for ya!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Set your profile and goals in MFP and follow the daily calorie goal it gives you. That will put you at the proper deficit. Don't try to be too aggressive with your weight loss goal, though. With only 20 pounds to lose you shouldn't be trying to lose more than 1 or .5 pound per week. Too much and you'll end up at 1200 calories and MFP won't go below 1200.

As far as strength training, do what you can do. I've had a c-section and both my gallbladder and appendix removed. I've had no problems doing core work but I don't do crunches or sit-ups, anyway. They aren't any more effective than overall body movements for strengthening your core and you can't shrink by adding muscle under fat, regardless. You need to lose the fat which comes through your calorie deficit.